Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates crushing Risk

Options
  • 19-12-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I recently got electric gates fitted but I am a bit concerned. While I was happy with the installation job I am worried that there is a risk with them in terms of safety so looking for some advise (legal if possible)

there is 2 photocells on the pillars on the outside of the gate. I asked if the gates would stop if something was blocking the way and I was told that they would only stop of something was blocking the beam. So if for some reason a car stopped within the throw of the gates but inside the garden where they are not in the path of the beam then the gates will hit the car. Similarly, at the pillar on the inside there is nothing to stop the gates from crushing a child. We tested it and the gates do not stop or reverse when they hit something. They just keep pushing.

Anybody know if there is legislation regarding minimum required safety standards. I really feel like these are not safe?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Legally I wouldn't like to comment. But if you are able to stand in the path of the gate the photo cells should be closer or perhaps another set on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi OP, we do gates and i can tell you this, over the last few years especially since the deaths of some children in UK and a person here ( case still ongoing so best not to say anymore about that ). We have changed our mindset completely with regard to the safety of same.
    You are absolutely correct to have the concerns you have, your installer, by the sounds of your post may need to study the safety of automatic gates also.
    I know there are European safety standards for them but this is our HSA's take on it.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts/2010/Electric_Gates_Alert/

More

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/electricgates2.htm

Safety Regulations in Europe

All installations must meet with the Machinery directive 2006/42/EC with EN13241-1 being the regulations concerning gates. The installer of the gate is responsible for the conformity to regulation, not the manufacturer. The two main EN regulations that then apply are EN 12453 which describes the safety levels that should be observed when installing a gate and EN12445 which describes the testing method that must be undertaken. The major points are the maximum amount of force at certain test points. Example - a maximum of 400N of force can be applied in the last 50, 300 and 500 mm of travel of a gate, after the initial impact the force must drop to 150N within 0.75 of a second and reduce to 25N within 5 seconds. During the mid travel of a gate the allowable force is 1400N. A full risk assessment of the gates must take place with all crush, cutting points shown to the client with appropriate protection devices offered, a recommended maintenance program should also be provided. Finally the installer must confirm that all electrical equipment fitted has the European CE mark all the time
    To conform to these regulations the gate system must be checked with a calibrated force tester and the full results kept in a technical file for 7 years. If the gate is not tested it does not comply. Most gate kits can be fitted with safety equipment so that these limits are achieved and so cover that part of EN13241-1.
    Two recent incidents in the UK when children were killed by sliding gates have resulted in the UK Health and Safety department issuing a Gate Safety Bulletin

Advertisement