Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 in review

Options
  • 19-12-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Well lads as the calendar year comes to a close...

I did a lot more fishing than I have been use to of late. Thankfully circumstances allowed.

I found a new small stretch of deep water in a local spate stream that produced plenty of sea trout for me - nothing huge but sea trout on the fly nonetheless. Did plenty of sea fishing too and one sunny evening on a high tide had some superb pollock fishing - the biggest topping nearly 5.5 lbs. The elusive bass from the rocks still evades me though.

The highlight of the year was this fella. He was the nicest brownie I had in years but what made him all the more special was that he came from a very small spate stream. The previous biggest brownie I had from it probably would have been just the 9-10 inches but he is a bit of an enigma for the river concerned.

How did everyone else get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Its been a good year for me. Broke my Carp and Tench PB, I didn't catch at many large pike as I usually would, hoping to fix that next year! Still chasing my first ferox and blue shark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

All in all a good year for myself. Didn't make it to the canal at all because the fly well and truly took over with some good fishing on my local stretch of the Liffey. Two definite highlights were this and this Brownie, both breaking my PB for wild river trout.

Definitely the highlight of the year was this guy though, if for no other reason except the last thing I planned to do that day was catch a Carp!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Think it was my worst year ever may fly was a complete write off didn't get much time to get out because of work.the most memorable bits were meeting an auld guy who told me about a river that would fish given the right conditions went out to it when it came right when I seen the river I thought he was having a laugh my rod was 3 times the width of it in places you couldn't believe my surprise when after my 3rd cast I got stuck in the freshest salmon I've ever caught and another one on the next cast and then sea trout after sea trout all glistening fresh off the tide most guys would look at this little stream and just write it off. Roll on 2016 season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

bizidea wrote: »
    .... most guys would look at this little stream and just write it off....

That would be exactly how people view the river I mention above. Nice to have those little angling secrets though - however long they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Salmon was not great for me but I did manage a few and a nice 10lb fish on my trout rod which was fun

Had blue sharks over 2m in length some cracking sea trout from streams

I also went blue fin tuna fishing and although we got none to the boat just to see them jumping out of water and chasing bait was something I'll never forget

My highlight was bringing the small lad fishing for the first time and handing him the rod with trout on bait and the fly was a great feeling

Roll on 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Despite the best efforts of the weather Corrib fished pretty well for me this year. As a previous poster said the Mayfly was a bit of a disaster for me personally but did get a few good days. Very little dry spent or sedge this year but fingers crossed for next year.

Bit of mackerel bashing with the kids to close off the season went down a treat.

Not too long until the trout season opens again on Corrib - cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I had a great mayfly season on Corrib - good numbers of fish, plenty rising, and plenty of 3lbs+ fish too.
    Spent most of the summer after salmon on my local river and had a great time - met fish almost every time I fished and landed a good few, lost plenty more. Didn't get much sea fishing in this year but did have a couple of bass on a trip to Cork harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I dont think I would have got out fishing more than 6 or 7 times which is crazy compared to a few years ago. That said I must have attended at least 20 angling related meetings.
    Just had a look at the 2015 report of the Specimen Fish Committee. Just 3 specimen pike reported even though scores were caught. Low numbers of specimen coarse fish reported. Anglers are afraid that if they report the catch and venue it would be plundered by poachers. It is sad that it has reached this stage.
    http://irish-trophy-fish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ISFC-Report-2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

jkchambers wrote: »
    I dont think I would have got out fishing more than 6 or 7 times which is crazy compared to a few years ago. That said I must have attended at least 20 angling related meetings.
    Just had a look at the 2015 report of the Specimen Fish Committee. Just 3 specimen pike reported even though scores were caught. Low numbers of specimen coarse fish reported. Anglers are afraid that if they report the catch and venue it would be plundered by poachers. It is sad that it has reached this stage.
    http://irish-trophy-fish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ISFC-Report-2015.pdf

another issue is the €50 fee to get scales certified! It used to be free.
    Very few tench in there as well, although there were many tench over 6lb caught this year.

Advertisement