Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Bought my 6 year old a WHAT???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You don't understand the benefits or the product a decent case fixes the breakage problem.

You put to much trust in cases. I have yet to see a case that can protect a screen that is stood on, or lands on a object mid screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    My phone is 60e from Tesco, my internet is a dongle I can only afford to top up once a month. My son has a better device than the rest of the house can afford. I am typing this on a 9 year old laptop.

I love my son, but no. He is VERY clumsy, VERY rough and VERY lackadaisical with his toys.

You can share your internet connection with the iPad your already paying for, and you will be using this more than any of them, you really should get your head around this, it will be a benefit to you and the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Please can we be civil and not jump to such conclusions on thread.

Civil???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Sorry to hear your having a tough time financially.

It's tough cause you can't really give it back without causing offence and I must say its great to see a god parent so involved, majority I've ever known it's just a title and they barely even spend time with the child.

First things first, if it's to be kept with kids that young get a case like an otter box, however given money is tight the Unicorn Beetle series by Supcase I would swear by.

A tempered glass screen protector is a must again with a child go for CaseBase the only ones I'd recommend and you get two if he manages to wreck one haha :p

An iPad is more a personal device now for all sorts it's not professional really anymore, kids to the elderly use them for lots of stuff! You may be thinking of the iPad Pro which is aimed at business.

If your download limit via the dongle is very low do you have a family member or friend who you could call into for an half hour for tea and download them? Or maybe is there a place near you like Starbucks, Costa Cofee or a MacDonalds that give free wifi?

Yes tho I would agree that it should be shared with his sister. I know it's for him and if the god father says anything just say in a friendly way your teaching him to share and you don't want the 2 year old to feel left out, frankly I can't see any reasonable person objecting to that.

ted1 wrote: »
    You put to much trust in cases. I have yet to see a case that can protect a screen that is stood on, or lands on a object mid screen.

A raised case with a protective screen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Jaysus lads, would you lay off the OP.

A 6 year old boy should be given toys, not technology. Lego would have been a better choice.

The level of expenditure is embarrassing, for the giver. The parents shouldn't be embarrassed for a moment, and the OP is right to think that it's totally nuts to have a little boy own such a device when they're having to watch their pennies everywhere else.

The Godparent should have told the boy that he had a present already, bought him and his little sister a toy each and put a few quid in a card towards some christmas clobber or Santas parcel.

What he did was plain wrong.

Gaygooner wrote: »
    I live in a house, some parents seem to want to put their children in a bubble.

Are only parents views allowed in the parenting forum- abs steering non parents is acceptable???
    Well I suppose it's the difference between a electrician and a DIY guy posting in the electrical forum ...

Kids can't live in bubbles, they'll burst them...

Jaysus lads, would you lay off the OP.

A 6 year old boy should be given toys, not technology. Lego would have been a better choice.

The level of expenditure is embarrassing, for the giver. The parents shouldn't be embarrassed for a moment, and the OP is right to think that it's totally nuts to have a little boy own such a device when they're having to watch their pennies everywhere else.

Technology should be embraced

An otterbox defender should be tough enough for most households.
    It's expensive but as the pad is free it should be bought by op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

My 6 year old has an ipad, I bought an older generation second hand but she loves it.

Obviously she's not on it all day and night. But comes in handy for the rainy days where she can't go out and play and jump in the muck.

Great when your travelling too. For movies and what not.

When she's not using one of the family always picks it up to browse on, read on, watch TV, listen to music.

I find it very hard to believe you and your husband won't get any use out of it because "it's his only" I guarentee you'll be on it more the the child :-)

Great present in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any tablet would be good for a 6 yr old. The ipad is overkill but people fall for the marketing so what can you do? OP, it's a nice gift, I think you need to look beyond the cost of it and just see it as a gift. A tablet is a tablet to kids that age. I think you're looking too much into the potential jealousy aspect.
    Also our finances are terrible at present and it seems as though an ipad for a child in a house where the parents are struggling seems a tad mad.

Nobody needs to know about your finances. It was a gift, it was a prize, it fell off a truck, we saved up to get it. . . .who cares? Nobody's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I sense a bit of green eyed monster here

Mean spirited comment tbh.

Technology should be embraced

*relevant and suitable * technology should be embraced

Well I suppose it's the difference between a electrician and a DIY guy posting in the electrical forum ...

Kids can't live in bubbles, they'll burst them...

You don't need any qualifications to have a child, and giving birth alone doesn't make you an expert - there are lots of very bad parents

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have a lot of technology around the house,phones, laptops,ipad,samsung galaxy tab.
    They all belong to us and not the kids.
    Other then my phone none of them are in rugged cases and they have lasted that last few years.
    We let the kids play with them sometimes,the 6,4 and 2 year olds are well able to use them and the one year old is not far off.
    The 2 older ones use ipads in school sometimes and the 6 year old does computers after school.
    Even though they are well able to use them and do get educational value out of them the only device that any of them have been allowed to get is a Kindle.
    I personally think that they are too young and that their time on them should be very limited.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Mean spirited comment tbh.

It was frank not mean spirited - I got from her tone that they felt they child shouldn't have nice things if they don't have them

You don't need any qualifications to have a child, and giving birth alone doesn't make you an expert - their are lots of very bad parents

That's why most companies look at people's experiences rather than qualifications when there employing them. And unless you have your own kids then your experience is limited .

You don't need any qualifications to have a child, and giving birth alone doesn't make you an expert - their are lots of very bad parents

And a huge amount of technophobes especially mammys

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wolfpawnat wrote: »

He bought it on request from the 6yo in front of him. How do I explain that away?

Did the 6 year old ask his Godfather for get it? You can't really blame him for getting something that was requested.

The only good thing is that because you have no Internet he'll be sick of it in 10 minutes so the chances of it being broken are low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

That's why most companies look at people's experiences rather than qualifications when there employing them. And unless you have your own kids then your experience is limited .

I have experience of buying an iPad for a child- that I bought a child proof case for. She shares it with her sisters and mum controls her usage.

But as I haven't fertilised any eggs my opinion should be discounted???

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did the 6 year old ask his Godfather for get it? You can't really blame him for getting something that was requested.

The only good thing is that because you have no Internet he'll be sick of it in 10 minutes so the chances of it being broken are low.

She needs to get her head around educational apps for her children's sake.

Del2005 wrote: »

If he asked for it, then the kid doesn't know the difference between and iPad running iOS or a basic tablet for any version of android , so more the fool the god father is

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You don't need any qualifications to have a child, and giving birth alone doesn't make you an expert - there are lots of very bad parents

Experience teaches people a lot though.
    No,you do not need to be a parent to post here.Plenty of people that are not parents have experiences with kids that benefit others on this forum.
    Once you are contributing to the thread in a positive way then your input is very welcome.

I would consider Kindles- (the e reader not the fire) to be extremely child unfriendly

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Experience teaches people a lot though.
    No,you do not need to be a parent to post here.Plenty of people that are not parents have experiences with kids that benefit others on this forum.
    Once you are contributing to the thread in a positive way then your input is very welcome.

I'm giving my view. I bought my goddaughter an iPad I thought I could offer my experience. I'll leave ye to it.

She needs to get her head around educational apps for her children's sake.

That's not the issue, a 50 euro tablet will offer the same apps.
    Actually an android will offer more apps for free.

If he asked for it, then the kid doesn't know the difference between and iPad running iOS or a basic tablet for any version of android , so more the fool the god father is

Or maybe he appreciates the closed system and the reduced chances of downloading rogue apps???

That's not the issue, a 50 euro tablet will offer the same apps.
    Actually an android will offer more apps for free.

Quality not quantity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I sense a bit of green eyed monster here
    No, I am angered at

1 the blatant differences between the gifts between my children
    2 the lack of my partner and I being informed of such gifts because they are too extravagant for santa and mommy and daddy to compete with
    3 the fact there are very good, and more child orientated tablets out there suitable for a 6 year old. You seem to equate my saying I don't want him to have an ipad with I don't want him having a tablet, that is false, I rather him have something worth more than our month's rent when there are great alternatives on the market that are more durable, please get that into your head.

We do not care if he gets a gift that we cannot afford, we embrace being given help when we are struggling, but it is what I feel is an overly extravagant gift for the situation at hand is the issue. Would I like him to have a tablet, yes, would I like it to be one I feel is too expensive for him personally, definitely not. There is a difference.
    DivingDuck wrote: »
    You have a few options here:

1. Thank the godfather and accept the gift.
    2. Thank the godfather, return the gift as it doesn't suit your circumstances and parenting choices, and ask him to exchange it for something else.
    3. Thank the godfather, sell the gift, and use it to buy what you consider to be suitable items for both children.

I personally would go for option one, but I'm not you and it's not my child. You are quite wrong about the intended and actual market for iPads, but that doesn't mean you have to allow your child to have one if you don't feel it's appropriate. You could explain to the godfather that you don't want to create a situation where one child gets better presents than the other-- I'm assuming the other child's godparents aren't such generous gift-givers? (Unless it's the same guy, and he's playing favourites, it's not really his fault, but you can still explain the situation to him.)

If you really don't want the child to have the iPad but don't feel you can broach this topic with the godfather, you could always sell it, redistribute the funds between the children, and then tell the godfather that your son "lost" his iPad. That would put paid to further expensive gifts, I'm betting. It's a bit underhand, but if you really think he would take it poorly and really can't stomach the thought of the boy having the tablet, it's an option.

My sons godfather is a wealthier man than my daughter's godparents, they will get her a gift each as well, but her godfather gets her a dress and her godmother gets them both the same thing because she wants to be fair. They cannot compete for one second with something as extravagant as a ipad. so to me it is horrifically unfair and I wish for my children to be somewhat level. I am no fool they will not be exactly level, but a bit either way on the scales of fair is okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement