Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Bought my 6 year old a WHAT???

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

It doesn't.

I think the OP needs to Think Differently.

Ask him to get him an Amazon Fire as a compromise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I'm imagining this as the godfather walking in and dropping this thing very specifically into the kids lap.

Why not have a word, say thanks for the gift, you've given him saving money already, but we have some concerns. Would you mind if we just popped it under the tree for the two of them from Santa?

Use free wifi to download, and say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

OP most 6 and 2 years old have no concept of the price of toys or gadgets they just see something they like not the value. They wont be like you looking at the cost of something, that's your issue not theirs.

Is the 6 year old's godfather also the 2 year old's godfather? I've been working with children for nearly 2 decades and I've got 24 or 26 nieces plus friends with children and from what I've observed and also do is spend more on a godchild than on thegodchild's sibling. It seems to be fairly standard practice.

While as a parent it's your decision what you allow your children to have at least you should do so being fully informed about the gifts and their uses I think your reaction is irrational but I think basic manners and being gracious in accepting a gift is important. I think it's extremely rude and controlling to expect family and friends to consult you about what they buy your children.

I think most people have at some stage in their lives been given gifts that may have been cheap or expensive that might not be what they want or even like but most have the good manners to smile and thank the giver.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I'm sure the godfather would be more than happy to forego recognition, especially if it's causing understandable problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think that you have all given the OP a lot to think about.
    I am now closing this thread due to the amount of reported posts.
    I will consider re-opening it tomorrow if the OP wants me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Moonbeam wrote: »
    are they not just the normal ones with rugged cases?
    Yes and no, they come with a rugged case but also a 2 year no question asked guarantee. But more importantly they also come with a modified OS that also includes a years free prime kids membership which include loads of films , apps and programs.
    The OS is simplified for kids and enables parental restrictions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

unkel wrote: »
    That's pretty much the point I was trying to make, GeneHunt.

Deus ex machina giving the kid a modern tool (that his parents could never afford to give him) and the kid progresses and benefits. Isn't this all pretty obvious? If I were that parent in poor parts of Africa (or the OP) I would just be grateful for the gift and do whatever I could to support my kids progress.

And for the record, I don't like iPads. I think they are ridiculously overpriced and I think you can get an equally good tablet for about a quarter of the price.

I also hate apple products, but to say that they could never afford to get the kid one is silly.
    They most likely have more sense not to spend €400\600 on one for a child, when something that'll do the same tricks(for a 6 year old) can be got for a fraction if the cost.

Not everyone gets broadband coverage that's great, not all can afford it either.

The 80`s,internet?!? Stop messing ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Go somewhere with free wifi (plenty of options). Download apps etc. Disable internet while at home.
    I live in the back arse of nowhere, not very many options.
    Poverty is not an excuse for ignorance in this day and age. Access to information is free and you said you have internet access

You need to think long and hard about yourself and your family. Do you want your children to grow up being severely limited in their opportunities and / or be poor like yourself?

Sounds very harsh, but I mean you and your family well. Happy Christmas.

....I assume the fact it is 2:30 in the morning is why you would think to write something like this. "Be Poor like myself?" Lack of knowledge of the latest things I have no interest in is not why I am currently financially struggling, but thank you for the rude comment. I am not saying I do not want my child to have a tablet, but that I do not wish for him to have the top of the parket, too expensive one.
    Madness, the OP has already explained why they, as a parent, don't want their 6 year old having such an expensive gift.

They said that they're using a 9 year old laptop and a USB dongle as their finances are tight at the moment (that will get better in time OP)

The real clue, for everyone, is that finances are tight enough that priority is on a present from Santa, but doesn't stretch much further than that.

Yet people suggest taking broadband subscriptions, buying Otterbox cases, Tempered glass screen protectors and the likes....

Jesus wept.

OP, you're no doubt a fine parent and know yourself how best to raise your kids. I wouldn't second guess yourself on this. Do what you think is right for your son and daughter.

And Happy Christmas to you and yours.
    Thank you. I am not looking for people to side with me in all aspects, but more for people to give advice. I feel like you actually read my OP, rather than focused on one aspect of it.
    DivingDuck wrote: »
    To be fair, you chose your children's godparents, so the fact that there's a financial disparity between them is not your son's godfather's fault.

If you don't explain your perspective to the godfather one way or another, he's going to keep doing things like this, which doesn't help anyone. I personally don't agree with your position entirely, but your son is your son, and as he's so young, it is your right to set the limits you feel are reasonable. The godfather is going to need to accept that if he wants to be a part of the child's life, whether he agrees with them or not.

I am aware that when I chose his godfather, he was a wealthier family member, but I always told all the Godparents never to go too mad, and this is the definition of such. I know his heart is in the right place, but sadly, that does not make what he did right.
    delly wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of off-shoot points here, but it essentially boils down to the OP asking if they are irrational or not to be annoyed at getting such a gift.

I don't think your irrational OP, but some of your arguments are weak. Starting with paying for games and internet connectivity, or lack of it. Both are not a big deal because there are a tonne of games out there that do not have to be paid for. My 8 year old has had a tablet since 5, and in that time has only had two paid for games (Minecraft and Terreria). Even these have free versions out there. If you have a list of games to get, just wait until you are in a free wifi spot and download them. You don't need internet to play most of them.

Regarding sharing with the younger child, I hear you on your complications, but is this the child's fault? I don't want to sound harsh here, but you are going to let both your children miss out as you have not been able to put in a policy of acceptable sharing. I know it's easier said than done, but the generous godfather gets grief for buying a nice gift, but the MIL and her policy of creating a negativity of sharing wins out.

Regarding breakage, a fair point, but at least you do have the case. It will come at some stage that you have a delicate and/or expensive item for him as he gets older. He has to learn some time, it may as well be with something that you didn't pay for. My now 8 year old daughter has had a DS since 4, recently upgraded to a 3DS. Never had an issue with damage or breakage, she understands that if she didn't respect it, it would be her that loses out. I have a long history of gaming, so she is used to seeing me play since a toddler, so it isn't seen as anything out of the ordinary.

As regards the godfather paying out on such an expensive present, yes, this probably shouldn't have happened without asking you first. I'm sure it was done with good intent however, I can maybe presume the godfather doesn't have kids. Rather than knocking back the gift, maybe taking some time out to explain how it may not be appropriate and your concerns would put him on the right path for the future.

As I stated already, I do not want him to miss out, I wish for the Godfather to get a cheaper, less overpriced alternative.
    Gaygooner wrote: »
    It doesn't.

I think the OP needs to Think Differently.

Ask him to get him an Amazon Fire as a compromise

You see, this is the thing I have been trying to discuss and you have gone off on some tangent on. It is not about him not having a tablet, but a ridiculously priced one and for it to be done without our consultation. We wish for him to return the gift and get something more suitable, and if he wishes for that to be a tablet, then by all means, he should get it, but something that is aimed at children that I do not have to give over a months rent to cases and the like so that my son can enjoy it for more than 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

deisemum wrote: »
    I think it's extremely rude and controlling to expect family and friends to consult you about what they buy your children.

Really? Do most people feel this way?

I know one family who won't allow any weapon-based toys in the house, and have requested that they not receive any of same as presents. Another family has asked that no more Lego be bought as the kids were big fans when they were little and they ended up with a house full of it and had all they could possibly ever want. I also know a girl who is really passionate about feminist issues and has requested that nobody give her kids Barbies, Bratz, etc. Another family is extremely strict about what is "age appropriate" and will only allow her kids to play with toys that are aimed at a year or two below their actual age, e.g., her ten year old isn't allowed to watch PG movies, only G movies, and will not allow them to have presents that go against this rule.

I've never had a problem with any of this. Nobody else I know has issues with it, either. I don't agree with a lot of it (especially the last one!) but they're not my children, so I respect their wishes. I really don't think it's a lot to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Without tunnelling etc does Prime kids work in the ROI?
    THe Kindle comes with the 2 year guarantee too,it is a fantastic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am aware that when I chose his godfather, he was a wealthier family member, but I always told all the Godparents never to go too mad, and this is the definition of such. I know his heart is in the right place, but sadly, that does not make what he did right.

I wouldn't consider this "too mad". Not at all. Neither would plenty of others in this thread.

The trouble is, "too mad" is a very subjective position. You're going to need to set an actual limit (€50, €500, whatever) as nobody else can know your definition of "too mad" except yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

LOL, will you join us in the real world?

iPads are really nice toys for kids, they are pretty obsolete for business professionals at this stage

Go and thank the godfather of your child for giving him such a generous gift!

And do yourself and your kid a favour and get broadband in your house. You seem to live in the 1980s?

From Post #5: "We don't have internet access in the house, so we cannot even get said apps. Also our finances are terrible at present"

Enough of the judgemental posts. You may be lucky enough to 1) live in an area with broadband and 2) be able to afford it. But not everyone is. Any other "LOL" posts like this from anyone with end badly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement