Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New users. Is it just me...?

Options
  • 20-12-2015 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭

So, is it just me, or has there been a recent gaggle of new users joining up, acting the maggot, and then turning up banned before hitting triple posting figures? I'm obviously not going to name names, but those who know what I'm talking about will know who I'm talking about...

I'm not talking about people opening an account specifically to troll. I get a feeling most are simply missing both the point of the site, and the tone of the threads/forums they're posting in. Can anything be done about this in the signup process? Or maybe I'm just old and cranky...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just here to troll tbh fam.

You're not very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,091 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

endacl wrote: »
    I'm not talking about people opening an account specifically to troll. I get a feeling most are simply missing both the point of the site, and the tone of the threads/forums they're posting in. Can anything be done about this in the signup process? Or maybe I'm just old and cranky...

That's been on the wishlist since the "Feedforward" days (probably earlier). Problem being you have to balance the obstacles to re-reg muppetry with making the site accessible and engaging for new users. Eg. you google a recent topical thread and want to chime in (eg. Fukushima disaster, new Star Wars movie, new brand of mustard, etc) and if you have to jump through too many steps and hoops just to post your contribution, you're not really going to complete the effort. I just mutter IPv6 under my breath and move on with my life :)

The presumption that all new users are reregs of trouble makers and trolls etc. is frustrating, particularly when admins/mods fail to use, all available checks that I KNOW they have, before site banning someone.
    And why did you re-reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

endacl wrote: »
    So, is it just me, or has there been a recent gaggle of new users joining up, acting the maggot, and then turning up banned before hitting triple posting figures? I'm obviously not going to name names, but those who know what I'm talking about will know who I'm talking about...

If they get banned almost immediately isnt it obvious they signed up only to troll?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's none of your business if I chose to start again, from an account with no bans, of several years.

Using the tools available to mods/admins would have shown this.

It actually is the mod/admin business when all of those tools implicate you to an account that is far from a clean slate. But hey, I'll leave it to the admins to pass judgment on you - again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think it's pretty obvious a mistake has been made, if it's a rereg of who I think it is the admin have made a bit of balls of this...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think it's pretty obvious a mistake has been made, if it's a rereg of who I think it is the admin have made a bit of balls of this...

Banning them over and over again isn't going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Admin note
    I'm a Nurse - sending you a PM and removing these off topic posts.
    Please bear with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 I'm A Nurse, AMA

Fine but I'd appreciate some kind of acknowledgement that i've been fcuked over for no reason when you have PMd me and presumably got my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Fine but I'd appreciate some kind of acknowledgement that i've been fcuked over for no reason when you have PMd me and presumably got my reply.
    Marked as resolved.

Unfortunately in this case the system flagged your account incorrectly. Thanks for working with us to verify your identity so we could move to remove the ban.

Thanks again
    Taltos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Hands up ... I saw a pattern in a series of user profiles and posts that identified a series of troll accounts.

Clearly, I came to the wrong conclusion for one of those accounts, and for that I apologise.

Advertisement