Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reserve Army fitness

• 20-12-2015 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, I am thinking about applying to the reserve army and I'm just curious as what level of fitness is required.. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Firstly as a recruit, you should be able to do the following and will have to as part of your entry fitness test.
    note: each stage of the test, is pass/fail - fail any one part, you fail the test and you do not join
    there is also a BMI test - see my link below.

basic recruit entry requirements - able to do the following:
    20 situps in 1 minute
    20 pushups in 1 minute
    run 2.4km in under 11 minutes 40 seconds (13 min 10 seconds for females)

All of the above completed in one sitting on same day.

http://www.military.ie/en/careers/fitness-testing-centre/defence-forces-fitness-tests/

as regards regular fitness, this is a more difficult graded set of tests and is applied to all troops each year.

Once inducted, your normal fitness you should aspire to attain should leave you comfortably able to operate
    on foot
    from anywhere from five to twenty km
    in all weather
    carrying a backpack weight somewhere in the region of at least between 15 - 25kg including change of clothes, wet gear, sleeping system, shelter, cooking equipment, food and water.
    then on top of this you will add the extra weight of chest rig or battle vest,
    a day sack inside your main pack,
    armour plates,
    helmet,
    any mission specific equipment required - depending on your corps and role, could include the likes of
    stretchers,
    ladders,
    radios,
    your own ammunition,
    your weapon,
    possibly grenade launcher and it's ammo,
    ammunition for the section weapon(s)
    a SRAWW,

this is if you are infantry... other corps will have their own equipment,

you should be able to do this, in all terrain without your fitness level effecting your cognitive ability to concentrate and operate as part of a team,
    leaving you capable to concentrate and take part in tactical operations,
    climbing up and down hills,
    on and off trails and roads,
    through heavy forest,
    mud,
    across rivers,
    constantly stopping and moving,
    bear crawling,
    leopard crawling,
    moving whilst crouching,
    lying in the open in the cold for long periods of time,
    short bursts of speed over 50 - 100m,
    Day or night
    long marches etc

other than that, its fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 .300 WinMag

That there is the finest damn answer you're likely to get, however that information is also readily available on the Defence forces website, if you had taken the time and shown initiative and resourcefulness you would have seen for yourself, both of those abovementioned traits are essential in military life, I am not having a swipe at you, just calling it as I see it, use all available resources to complete your task regardless of how trivial.
    Morpheus, well done on a great answer, and the patience to type it all down.

Advertisement