Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on build? (1200 budget)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'm also not in an immediate rush for a graphics card as I can use the old one from my current PC (GTX 950) to keep me tipping away for a while, so I'm pondering on whether or not to buy an R9 390 now, or wait a few months for the new Pascal architecture.
    I'd wait. Worst case scenario is Pascal not living up to expectations and 390s will have dropped in price by then.
    Best case scenario is that it's the bees knees and you get one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

grindle wrote: »
    I'd wait. Worst case scenario is Pascal not living up to expectations and 390s will have dropped in price by then.
    Best case scenario is that it's the bees knees and you get one of those.

That was my thoughts too. I think I'll just build the main core of the PC for now, and decide on a graphics card upon release of Pascal. Do you have any idea on a release date? Some places I've seen Q1 and others Q2 of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That was my thoughts too. I think I'll just build the main core of the PC for now, and decide on a graphics card upon release of Pascal. Do you have any idea on a release date? Some places I've seen Q1 and others Q2 of next year.

Depends on a lot of things, the only people who kind of know for sure are Nvidia, and even they'd be making an educated guess at this stage because they have to factor in whatever AMD decides to do in the meantime and any peculiarities with fabricating HBM2.

The more refined HBM production becomes the faster it'll be out I'd imagine, they don't want to do what AMD did with the Fury and have difficulty pushing stock into shops, especially when they'd be expected to have four times the amount of stock AMD have.

Advertisement