Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency hearse

Options
  • 20-12-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure where to post this but flashing lights were involved so this might be the best place for it :)

Yesterday afternoon I was driving round the south-west of the city (somewhere near Crumlin I think) when I met a hearse. What drew my attention was the pair of blue flashing lights fitted to the front grill and the American flag draped over the coffin inside.

Curiosity is getting to me, can anyone explain it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

State Pathologist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

markpb wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to post this but flashing lights were involved so this might be the best place for it :)

Yesterday afternoon I was driving round the south-west of the city (somewhere near Crumlin I think) when I met a hearse. What drew my attention was the pair of blue flashing lights fitted to the front grill and the American flag draped over the coffin inside.

Curiosity is getting to me, can anyone explain it?

Very strange! Are you sure it was blue lights on the hearse? was there any other marked/unmarked emergency service vehicles present with blue lights?

Perhaps it was somebody from the US embassy as normally (I stand corrected) no flag is allowed on a coffin unless its a member of state, military, gardai etc or for DFB its the blue flag of the city.

Very interested to hear more on this tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Was it an American model of hearse, such as a Cadillac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

discus wrote: »
    State Pathologist?

No, they don't have their own hearses etc. There's an undertaker in North Dublin who seems to have the contracts for all State Path business in Dublin and surrounds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

megabantz wrote:
    Very strange! Are you sure it was blue lights on the hearse? was there any other marked/unmarked emergency service vehicles present with blue lights?

Definitely flashing lights hidden under the front grill, fairly sure they were blue but I could be mistaken. I didn't notice any other unusual cars nearby.
    Was it an American model of hearse, such as a Cadillac?

I didn't notice, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

markpb wrote: »
    Definitely flashing lights hidden under the front grill, fairly sure they were blue but I could be mistaken. I didn't notice any other unusual cars nearby.

I didn't notice, sorry.
    I saw a hearse around the same time on that day somewhere in the D8 area with flashing white lights in the front grille. Definitely white and not blue. (Meant to post when I first saw this thread but never got around to it, and now can't remember where exactly I saw it).

Struck me as strange at the time, I've never seen that before, but I didn't notice a flag of any description in the back.

Also wonder(ed) what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

In the US they have amber flashing lights and the cortege seem to have purple flags/lights attached to show they're part of a funeral. Seems every Tom,Dick,and Harry here are putting (legal?) white strobe lights on their motors to .....('impersonate an emergency vehicle' ?? )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ghostbusters?

endacl wrote: »
    Ghostbusters?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

I've seen an undertaker in Galway with lights on the grill think it was some sort of a Merc two rows of seats etc. Bit like the Americans alright. I'd say its a safety thing unless they were on the car when bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Capri wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Is that not an ambulance ?

Amber flashing light, not red, and notice the surroundings - and hearses in the US can be white / silver /black . Here's the law regarding amber lights
    FLORIDA: Florida law defines a funeral procession as two or more vehicles accompanying the body of a dead person in the daytime when all vehicles have their headlights lit. The lead vehicle, if not a law enforcement vehicle, must have a flashing amber light. The law requires all pedestrians and vehicles, except emergency vehicles, to yield right-of-way to the procession. If the lead vehicle enters an intersection legally, the other vehicles may follow it regardless of a changing traffic signal, stop sign, or yield sign provided they exercise due care to prevent collisions. Other drivers are prohibited from driving between vehicles in the procession, if their headlights are on, unless directed by a police officer. Fla. Stat. § 316.1974.

Advertisement