Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIN DRINKERS! Educate me!

• 20-12-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I always avoided gin as not only did I associate it with being a depressive drink but also after my granfather died my grandmother hit the gins pretty hard.

The other day a die hard g&t drinker made me try it and I loved it! So tell me that brand should I stock up on for Christmas... there are so many! Is there much difference between brands?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I like Bombay Sapphire the most, it's less sharp imo than the likes of Gordons or Cork Dry Gin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I'm no expert but am a big fan of the Dingle gin, well balanced.
    Glendalough do seasonal versions with botanics growing during the particular time of year, Winter, Summer, etc.
    I've had Hendrick's as well but don't think it's all that special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Dingle gin, best I've ever tasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tanqueray is decent, Plymouth gin is very good, Gordon's is a good traditional go to gin for me although I mainly drink Plymouth gin, Hendricks is ok but I find it rather overrated, Bombay sapphire doesn't do it for me, dingle gin is ok but you can get better for slightly less money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is a gin palace in Dublin City centre that does a tasting menu.

http://www.louisfitzgerald.com/ginpalace

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mostly a Bombay Sapphire drinker here. The London Dry Gin that Aldi does is really good for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Remember the tonic is an important element - and theres a world beyond Schweppes which is pretty bloody boring. Id prefer a better tonic in Aldi or Lidl gin.

Fever Tree is the most common alternative but far from the only

Threadjack! I'm on the lookout for a decent, cost-effective tonic since Tesco seems to have withdrawn its Finest one. I tried Lidl's at the weekend and wasn't impressed. Any other suggestions that won't break the bank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 gavinM41

ST patricks distillery do an elderflower gin which is savage. I would have always been a Bombay fan with Tanqueray 10 and Hendricks my 2nd and 4rd choice but these new distillers have some good taste buds and since i tasted their elderflower at the beer festival in Dublin I have been hooked.

Its fairly new but i know now i can get it in Matsons in douglas or bradleys in town

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Plymouth Gin with Schweppes Tonic is definitely the one for me with lime rather than lemon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 gavinM41

nice one @Newonthere had that one too which is pretty nice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Brockmans and Copperhead gin sell well in the pub I work in. The Copperhead works well because theres a choice of 3 different flavours to add to it and with the Brockmans you put in a variety of dried berries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For clarity, I'm going to declare that I'm involved in Blackwater Distillery so I am definitely biased but I will stick to facts.

In the IWSC (International Wine and Spirits Competition) Blackwater No. 5 Gin got a Silver Outstanding grade. Hendrick's and Bombay Sapphire both got bronze (two grades below) in this blind tasted competition. We make this gin in our own distillery in Cappoquin, Co Waterford.

There are lots of new Irish gins from new distilleries on the market.

Off the top of my head: Dingle, Shortcross , Glendalough, Highbank, St. Patrick's, Bertha's Revenge. There's probably a few I'm missing and a few contract brands out there.

I'd urge people to support our fledgling craft distilling industry.

I also couldn't not mention our new premium release. It's a 46% gin aged in casks made of Juniper wood. Nothing else like it around these parts and very, very interesting.

Mods, please feel free to edit/delete this post as appropriate.

Moving outside of Ireland, I think Monkey 47 is the best gin I've tasted. Gin Mare is also amazing and I have a liking for Tanqurey 10.

Plymouth is, arguably, the best value gin on the market imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to disagree with you on Monkey 47, tbr. I find it way too 'floral' - there's just too much going on flavourwise.

I really like Dingle myself. Tanquaray is also a regular in my cabinet. If I'm making Basil Smashes or the like for Mrs Billy - I'll stick to Gordons or Cork Dry.

My pet hate at the moment is being given Fever Tree tonic by default. If a bar has a choice of tonics - they should let the punter know. Fever Tree is too sweet for my taste & I prefer to stick to old school Schweppes.

THB, you should try Fevertree light.
    It's not a 'diet' tonic, it's just lighter with less sugar and no artificial sweetners. Really let's the gin shine.

If it's OK to get Schweppes by default, surely it's OK to get any other tonic by default?
    If you don't specify, you get what you're given.
    (I also find the regular Fevertree too sweet but I also find Schweppes too sweet. I find myself drinking less and less tonic lately)

I have to disagree with you on Monkey 47, tbr. I find it way too 'floral' - there's just too much going on flavourwise.

I know what you mean but I think the flavours are really delicately balanced.
    It's a gin that I think manages to be assertive, subtle and balanced all at the same time. Expensive, mind.

47 botanicals sounds like around 37 too many but, for me, it really works.

I wonder if all the botanicals actually do something.

I'm of the firm belief that an awful lot of 'locally foraged' botanicals have no flavour or aroma effect on many gins but it's good marketing to be able to say that they're in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where can one get blackwater no5 and fever tree for sale ?

In Dublin

listermint wrote: »
    Where can one get blackwater no5 and fever tree for sale ?

In Dublin
    O'Brien's, I'd say. They certainly have the gin and Tesco definitely does the tonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Dingle with blueberries and lime and slimline tonic.
    Brockmans with strawberries and cracked black pepper.
    Tanqueray
    Bombay Sapphire East (much nicer than the regular one)
    Tanqueray Rangpur
    Shortcross/Glendalough, these are ok.
    Monkey 47 the hubby loves.
    Bulldog, smooth but a bit bland.
    Daffys is very nice.
    Plymouth Sloe gin I LOVE!
    Gordon's do a nice sloe gin and a lovely cucumber gin (nicer than Hendricks which I don't really rate) but only available in the UK.
    Juniper Green Organic is great gin too but again, UK only.

I really must do an NI gin run when the exchange rate improves.

• Advertisement

On a budget the Aldi gin isn't bad, nicer than the Lidl one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Bombay, fever tree and a slice of cucumber, lovely on a sunny summer evening.

And if it has to be Schweppes, slimline is far nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Boom boom

_20151224_172557_zpsurcwci0z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    If you like the "Floral" tasting ones. Try and get an Italian Bordiga dry gin (smuggling required). I don't think it works with tonic at all, not in a snobby "why dilute a good gin?" point of view. It actually makes an unpleasant drink. It needs to be served in a fairly concentrated form. Bordiga also make good vermouth and the combination makes a great martini. Actually their vermouths are excellent with just ice.

Thing is, I don't find Monkey 47 all that floral, I find it had to say what it is I like about it - it's so complex.
    I must look out for Bordiga all the same - I love trying new and unusual gins and am not very attached to tonic.

I love the savoury flavours of Gin Mare - it has olives and rosemary in it.

listermint wrote: »
    Boom boom

[/IMG]

Great stuff, I've been meaning to try the elderflower Fevertree.
    I've had elderflower cordial with Blackwater and love it.
    Lidl have a lovely elderflower pressé at the moment that's rather good too.

BTW, that's the old branding. We now label it as Small Batch Irish Gin as people found the London Dry thing confusing.
    (London dry is a non geographical style designation - like India Pale Ale only London Dry is legally defined)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Gordans is good honest gin..not rip off like some of these fancy ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This thread hasn’t had a new post in four years so I’m closing it. Feel free to join in the Gin Gin Gin thread below

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement