Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS top 10s

• 20-12-2015 7:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Operating System Top 10s has been released. I would have to say my own is far different:

1. Linux Mint 17+
    2. Fedora 22+
    3. Debian 6+
    4. Windows 7
    5. HP-UX (Command Line)
    6. FreeBSD
    7. Solaris (Command Line as the 2 UIs I've used are Fugly)
    8. Ubuntu 14+
    9. Redhat
    10. openSuse

Anyone else have a top. I had to stick in the last two out of necessity to pad it out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hehehehehehe ....... I found that list you linked to rather funny!

For me, using a non-business PC and Linux only ..

No Windows
    No BSD
    No Solaris
    No MAC

So 7 of the 10 are gone from any list I might make :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Not a Unix fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

No OS/400? What a world!

To be honest, the top 10 as http://technochords.com/top-10-operating-system-2015/ seems meaningless.

Top 10 OS' from what perspective? average desktop/laptop user, business workstation, enterprise server?

The first 8 are are what your average user would use. Last 2 are server orientated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I stopped reading at Window 7. FFS, seriously?

In fairness, I think that's more a personal opinion (and I would hypothesise a non-techie, non-native English speaker), not any kind of systematic list based on technical prowess and usage.

If that were the case, the list would be 100% Unix/Linux. :D

(Do I mention that I am moderately impressed with Windows 10? Noticeable improvement in performance on my Lenovo Yoga since I upgraded during the Summer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I stopped reading at Window 7. FFS, seriously?

I've never used it, but I haven't heard a bad word said about it in fairness. I consider Microsoft hit "decent OS" status around Windows 2000 time and with the exception of Vista and possibly Windows 8 have been doing just fine ever since.

Note that I haven't used windows as my main OS for about 10 years now. I would be wary of Windows 10 mind you after all the privacy stuff I've seen floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Check out No 8. Google Chrome OS!
    That screenshot used is from a distro called gOS that existed about 8 years ago, and has nothing to do with a modern chromeos.
    Even the 2008 screenshot on distrowatch is from a much newer version of it.

It was based on Firefox and used "Google Gears" for widgets.
    This allowed it to run some of the other applications you can see icons for in the toolbar like the Gimp and Skype.

A much nicer modern equivalent actually based on Chrome is Chromixium,
    but this shows no research went into that original list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,181 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Solaris is beautiful. Or rather, was. AIX is my current favourite.

Advertisement