Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing sockets and switches

Options
  • 20-12-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am planning to get the sockets and switches changed from the white ones to chrome one as part of redecoration. Can I change them or should I get someone registered to do it. I don't think its a major job and am confident that I won't mess up. But would like to know will it cause any problem with insurance. Or is there anything to work around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You don't need a registered electrical contractor to simply replace sockets and light switches. (Adding outlets etc. to circuits is another issue though)

You do need to be competent, in other words it must be done correctly and if not you can be held liable.

When fitting the chrome switches and outlets be sure that the earthing is done properly.

Before you even start on the job check that there is an earth wire at each switch, if there isn't the job is going to be more complex as an earth wire will need to be run to the switch, if you are in a bungalow it may not be too bad but otherwise if carpets and floorboards etc. need to lifted..........

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mexicanking

Thanks for the info Brightspark.I will have a look inside if there is earth before I start buying replacement.

Advertisement