Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health and safety career questions

Options
  • 20-12-2015 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all, I was considering doing a course in health and safety.! Been looking at ucc's night course that runs for two years for one night a week. Was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice on this type of job? Is there work out there for graduates? And if so, what's the starting salary and what can salary rise to? And if anyone knows of any other courses either full time or part time I'd be delighted to here. Any feedback welcome, thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

What particular industry would you be looking to get into Health and Safety in? I work in the construction industry as a Health and Safety Officer/Adviser. I will say it's a thankless job and you'll need pretty think skin and a lot of confidence to feel comfortable in the role. I have seen a few graduate positions advertised over the last few months which was a lot more than when I graduated in 2008. The starting salary is generally around 25K and I have seen jobs advertised for 45-50K with 5 years+ experience. Obviously this is just relating the construction industry which has seen a bit of growth in 2015. Hope that helps you out in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JimmyMickey

meka wrote: »
    What particular industry would you be looking to get into Health and Safety in? I work in the construction industry as a Health and Safety Officer/Adviser. I will say it's a thankless job and you'll need pretty think skin and a lot of confidence to feel comfortable in the role. I have seen a few graduate positions advertised over the last few months which was a lot more than when I graduated in 2008. The starting salary is generally around 25K and I have seen jobs advertised for 45-50K with 5 years+ experience. Obviously this is just relating the construction industry which has seen a bit of growth in 2015. Hope that helps you out in some way.

Thank you very much for the reply, I haven't really thought that much into it but I suppose construction wouldn't be the easiest of sectors to do it in? As in it wouldn't be as cushy as same pharma etc.! I do see it becoming quiet a very big industry as I've noticed myself the increase in health and safety amongst the places that I have worked.! Can u tell me exactly what you would do on a day to day basis? The good and bad about the job? And am I right in saying there is good business potential in this industry such as become a consultant or even doing training like safe passes etc? I was told by a school that starting salaries are about 35k which I find hard to believe? What course would u reccomend doing? There's a massive amount of them
    Out there ranging from short to longer term level 8 etc? Sorry for all the questions but thanks again ha

Advertisement