Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer no longer works when I use energy saving bulbs

Options
  • 20-12-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

When I replace bulbs in a Chandelier that has a dimmer switch with energy saving bulbs the dimmer no longer works. What are the factors to consider? I believe I may need to change the dimmer switch and use dimmer energy saving bulbs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Dimmable energy saving bulbs are what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The packaging on the light bulbs will say if they suitable for a dimmer switch. Im assuming that they will only turn on when the dimmer is turned all the way? Be careful with that, I heard you should avoid having them on like. Why exactly I cant remember though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Even when you get dimmable bulbs you might need to replace the dimmer switch. Not all dimmer switches are suitable for led bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Cheers guys. What kind of dimmer switch for led's should I get and is it a DIY job or do I need an electrician?

Advertisement