Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Recommendation

Options
  • 20-12-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on joining a gym after Xmas, need to lose weight and get healthy. Was thinking of joining the Warehouse Gym as its near work, they have long opening hours and they have an offer on at the minute.

Just wanted to check some reviews for them? Do they have treadmills or is it mainly weights etc?

One thing to consider is I'm going through fertility treatment, taking a break for a few months so using this time to try and get fit and healthy.

So I need one that will be ok with changing my routine if I hopefully get pregnant. Do most of them just do a once off assessment at the beginning and then just leave you to it?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ilovemypups23

I've been a member in several gyms in Galway now. I've had many introductory assessments done. It wasn't until I went to the Warehouse gym that it felt like I was actually being introduced to a gym and shown how to properly use the equipment, instead of being given a generic plan and left to my own devices for the rest of my membership.

They're still always on hand to answer whatever questions I have and it's nice to have people to bounce ideas off. I was a novice a year ago, a lot more confident now! I can vouch and say they'll help you every step. The community is amazing down there, so friendly!

I wish you the best in your treatment and hopefully I'll see you floating around the gym soon :)

***Edit
    Sorry I missed out on your other questions, They have a variety of cardio equipment, and lots of new bikes. They have a rubber track too that you can use for some circuits and other bits. Resistance training (weights) would be a big part of the gym but they walk you through everything you need and if you want more of one thing than other I dont think it would be any probelm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Only heresay, but I've a few mates in the Warehouse - all of them have nothing but good things to say about the place and echo what the above poster says.

I'm a member of Ocean Fitness and I highly recommend it. The gym and pool are generally in good shape, the staff are helpful and the members are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lashes34 wrote: »
    So I need one that will be ok with changing my routine if I hopefully get pregnant. Do most of them just do a once off assessment at the beginning and then just leave you to it?

Don't rely on a programme from a so-called-qualified trainer in a gym if you get pregnant. Get a chartered physio to prescribe you a proper exercise programme.

The best gyms have chartered physios who they work in conjunction with. Not sure if that happens here: there are a good few "physical therapists" floating around, some with clues some without - but all lacking health professional registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

I would recommend the Galway city gym. They have a lot more cardio machines than warehouse but also its a nicer environment ( In my experience so pinch of salt here! )

Warehouse is a fantastic gym, very knowledgeable staff and state of the art equipment. Personally though I feel the gym is so large and everything is so spaced out that it lacks character and is also very dull and depressing. The lighting is really bad and its hard to enjoy going for me anyway.

Galway city gym has a friendlier more personal feel, good mix of guys and girls and a lot of knowledge floating about in general. People there are never afraid of coming up to give you a bit of advice if you are doing something wrong or if you need a hand etc.

For beginners I think GcG is better. My 2cents. Im sure the next person could have the polar opposite opinion.

Best of luck anyway -

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Cant recommend the warehouse enough. Loadsa space and equipment and staff always there to help out rather than been ignored like in most gyms. Very good deal on at the moment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Trained in the warehouse for 2 years before buying equipment for home use (like to train straight after work and warehouse was to crowded at that time). Found all the staff in there to be top notch and never afraid to give you a hand, finally fixed my bench press after a staff member who I think held a European record (could be completely wrong!) pointed out things to me. They offer training seminars in Olympic Lifting aswell on the first Saturday of each month as far as I know, attended one and found out my shoulders are about as flexible as ones on a corpse pulled out of a glacier.

One thing about it is when you walk in first it can be pretty overwhelming, machines everywhere in the front and a heap of power racks in the back. They seem to have put away the majority of the lifting platforms though :(

The in-house physio is fantastic. Alan Daly the ex physio for Connacht and the current physio for Galway and Turloughmore hurling, reasonable aswell at €40 for a session.

Just realised this entire post sounds like an advertisement for the gym, really didn't intend for that to happen but really enjoyed the place. I've never been to Galway City Gym so I can't offer an opinion on it but I know a few powerlifters who swear by the place.

To echo connollys post the offer at the moment for the warehouse is fantastic and worth looking into, not sure if it is against the charter to post it here though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Don't rely on a programme from a so-called-qualified trainer in a gym if you get pregnant. Get a chartered physio to prescribe you a proper exercise programme.

The best gyms have chartered physios who they work in conjunction with. Not sure if that happens here: there are a good few "physical therapists" floating around, some with clues some without - but all lacking health professional registration.

I know one or two "physical therapists" who are a lot more knowledgeable and qualified to give excerise guidance that a physio. Just because someone is on a registry doesn't mean their any good

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Thanks everyone, went with warehouse, it's only 4 months so if not happy it's not a massive timeframe.

Advertisement