Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Applications with Road Traffic Criminal Conviction

Options
  • 20-12-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I was stupid and irresponsible enough to be convicted of driving without insurance.

I have heard differing accounts as to whether this single conviction could hurt my chances of living and working in the US. The two main differing accounts:

1. You only have to disclose crimes of moral turpitude (which this offense doesn't fall under)
    2. You have to disclose all criminal convictions

Which one is true as of now? Or are both true for different visa types (e.g. Immigrant vs. non-immigrant vs. the VWP)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

AFAIK motoring convictions and misdemeanours (offences that require an appearance at the district court, and not the circuit court) are not taken into account, but there's only one sure way to find out...
    Curiously, a conviction for littering would stop you from getting a Visa.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

For most visa applications, you will have to declare ANY convictions, and provide a police cert, but unless they are CMITs or major felonies, it will not stop you from getting the visa.

Advertisement