Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Football - Autobiographies

• 21-12-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any good american football autobiographies? I enjoyed Tim Tebows' and was hoping to read a few more autobiographies over the Christmas period.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tim Tebow has an autobiography? Jesus thats impressive and insane all in one!

I liked Friday Night Lights as a book, very good read.

Never Die Easy, the Walter Payton one too, Against the Grain is another football book I would recommend. Lots of them out there really, a quick google would have you on your way ;) (if they have to be autobiographical, Dungy and Motnana's were good!)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I read Nate Jacksons one recently, its a good humorous read from a bog standard player and how things go bouncing around practice squads and trying to make it in the league, and the pitfalls that come with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The rest of the iceberg, Robert Smith,is very good. One moment changes everything, is a biography written about Don Rogers, ex cleveland safety who died of a cocaine overdose at 25 years old. It looks good, and probably is, but i dont know because it was never delivered by amazon:-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jeff Pearlman's biography of Walter Payton is excellent, there is a lot of detail and it's not one sided, it exposes both his pleasant and not so pleasant traits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer is only about one season, a superbowl winning season but it's a great read.

John Hannah's autobiography is a great read too, it's call Offensive Conduct, my life on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Appreciate all of the recommendations lads, thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not a biography but League of Denial is an excellent read about the issue of concussions in the sport, and how the NFL put it's head in the sand until they eventually had to acknowledge the problem and try to make the sport safer, it's grim stuff but fascinating at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

As you all know i'm a cowboys fan so i'd recommend boys will be boys by Jeff Pearlman.
    Tells you of the rise and fall of the cowboys dynasty of the 90's from Jerry Jones taking over in '86 through to about 2000 when it all went pear shape, my wife got it for me christmas 2 years ago and i think its due another read..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Thought Manning's one was pretty good, the family background is interesting.

I see there are various Brady ones - which is the best, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Brady doesn't have his own Autobiography yet of the ones written by someone else about him To the best of my knowledge anyways. I could be wrong been a while since I looked for one.

"Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything" is probably the best of them from what I have read. Few other that weren't that great nothing google couldn't find really.

I heard this one was good also but yet to read myself maybe one of the other Pats fans in here has:

edit : "Tom Brady: Unlikely Champion" by Matt Doeden USA Today or he has a book called "Tom Brady" not sure if they are one in the same or one is a sample of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If we're knocking out general NFL books, I read the one about the Cowboys earlier this year, a lot on here will probably have read it: Boys Will Be Boys. Well worth a read. America truly is the land of second chances when you consider what Irvin (current personality on NFL TV) got up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Their Life's Work about the Pittsburgh Steelers Dynasty of the 70's.

Advertisement