Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes - Needed on Northside!

Options
  • 21-12-2015 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I know the Northside has steep hills but I'm increasingly finding I'm getting stuck behind cyclists cycling up hill slowly.

There's adequate space on some of these roads.

For example a route needs to be created from St Lukes up/down

Also I got stuck on the North Ring behind a slow moving bike and because of aggressive, way too fast driving (it's a 50km limit) there was nearly a head on collision as the car ahead of me tried to pass and a car flew along towards the Silversprings / Mayfield direction.

There's also a total lack of speed enforcement on those routes.

Cars are going up Silversprings hill at 70-80kmh all the time yet all the speed traps are on the Lower Glanmire Road / Tivoli DC.

The North Ring obviously needs speed limit enforcement too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Log9 wrote: »

Also I got stuck on the North Ring behind a slow moving bike and because of aggressive, way too fast driving (it's a 50km limit) there was nearly a head on collision as the car ahead of me tried to pass and a car flew along towards the Silversprings / Mayfield direction.

its not cycle lanes we need, its less feckin plonkers on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

its not cycle lanes we need, its less feckin plonkers on the road.

True, but bad infrastructure breeds this sort of behavior and causes an us versus them mentality.

In Ireland, Cycling is still seen as a pastime rather than a method of transportation.

Here in Eindhoven for example, I think 9 out of 10 of my friends cycle to work without problems and use their bikes to get about the place.

This is just down the road from me, the bikes are completely separated from traffic.

FdMalAQ.jpg

In Cork it's the other way around with 9 out of 10 people using their car to get around the place.

Good planning and a bit of money would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭thomil

Right on, however, there seems to be no trace of that in sight, be it cycle lanes or indeed ANY transport infrastructure, and even if you tried it, there would be an godawful outcry. A good network of cycle lanes, and dedicated cycle ways would make this city much easier to get around in, especially if you expand Coke Zero Bikes with it. I doubt I'll see it within the 10-15 years I still plan on staying in Cork, though.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

We've neither!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The council have made foothpaths wider and brought in cycle lanes around the city much to the motorists annoyance.

Its hard to get the balance right to please the cyclist and the motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

We've neither!

You have more expendable income than people in the Netherlands do, it's possible just you need to push for it :)

You have more expendable income than people in the Netherlands do, it's possible just you need to push for it :)

I'm skint Keith, nada.
    Zilch.
    Cleaned out.
    Impecunious.
    Destitute almost!:D

Seriously though there is something seriously amiss with the average Irish motorist and cyclists (i do both). There's a sense of entitlement; a view that cyclists hold up traffic, are in the way etc. Rational people go nuts if they're "delayed" behind a cyclist. The wife can be frightening sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I think the biggest issue regarding cycle lanes in the city is that there's no consistency. They seem to appear and vanish at random. I cycle to work every day and use the Coke Bikes a lot as well. I'd rather have a complete lane the full length of a street or none at all. It's confusing for both cyclists and motorists alike.

Advertisement