Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football quotes are epic

• 21-12-2015 10:45am

Everybody hears the George Best cars and women one, do you know some not so well remembered?

"The difference between Milan and us is that they bought Dessailly whereas we bought Romario. This will be for all to see tomorrow night" - Johan Cruyff, Barcelona coach, the night before the 1994 CL final between Milan and Barcelona.
    Dessailly prevented both Romario and Stoichkov that night, before scoring Milans last goal of the game (final: Milan 4 Barca 0).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Football, Bloody Hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"Your job now is to stand by our new manager"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"Some people are on the pitch....they think its all over! It is now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

"This is our year"

Could apply to every fan but it sticks to one group these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Korat wrote: »
    "This is our year"

Could apply to every fan but it sticks to one group these days.

To be fair their phrase at this time of year is "we're building for next season"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Bill Shankly: 'We cannae play these defensive Continental sides".

Said after a 5:1 defeat by Ajax in the European Cup in 1967

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33982195

Alan Hansen's 'you can't win anything with kids'

I got a good laugh out of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/17/star-wars-or-football-quotes-quiz
    Star Wars or Football quotes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

When Zlatan Ibrahimovic left home as a teenager, he turned to his father and said "You are the man of the house now"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cruyff has a lot of good ones, "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better."

• Michael Owen Special :P

“It’s a nightmare for strikers when defences push up. You’ve got to go with them or you’re offside.”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
    Strachan: "Velocity" (walks off).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Another recent one from Michael

"When they don't score, they hardly ever win"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

"Football is not a matter of life and death... it's much more important than that." - Shankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

"This does not f**king slip now" - Steven Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I read the other day Jamie Vardy allegedly said...

'I don't like Indian food. I prefer English food like Pizza or Chinese.' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Clough... I wouldn't say Im the world's best manager but I'm definetly in the top 1...
    On disagreements with players .... we discuss the issue for about 20 minutes and then we decide I was right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Boskowski wrote: »

I put that in the humour thread. I doubt it's true but it made me laugh so hard when I heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Boskowski wrote: »

Vardy is also responsible for "Chat shít, get banged", so I wouldn't put too much stock into what he says :P

"Ach, not the Dutch again. You are all assholes anyway and Adolf should have gotten rid of you."
    Lothar Mattaus after being cornered by a Dutch TV camera crew at Bayern Munich's training ground in 1994.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"A little bit of the hand of God, a little bit of the head of Maradona".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

"Ach, not the Dutch again. You are all assholes anyway and Adolf should have gotten rid of you."
    Lothar Mattaus after being cornered by a Dutch TV camera crew at Bayern Munich's training ground in 1994.

:eek:

Seriously. I'm asking cos I'm sure that would have made waves I would have heard about no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Zlatan being asked by a reporter about he sexuality
    “Come over to my house with your sister, and I’ll show you who’s gay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

''It was like living in a Different Country''

Ian Rush on about his time in Italy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

"Football is not a matter of life and death... it's much more important than that." - Shankly.

It's thrown around a lot but I really never liked that quote at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

"'Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

https://youtu.be/PqZTP8-8wIs

"He's out of order, disconnected with reality and disrespectful. When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent."

Wenger on Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Clough... I wouldn't say Im the world's best manager but I'm definetly in the top 1...
    On disagreements with players .... we discuss the issue for about 20 minutes and then we decide I was right

Far better was his "Rome wasn't built in a day, but then again I wasn't on that particular job". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"There's the corner flag" Jamie Redknapp

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Would you consider yourself a volatile player, David?

Well, I can play in the centre and the right, and occasionally on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Love the quotes from Ibrahimovic, theres so many that its hard to say how true they all are but some are top quality

How to shake off Stephane Henchoz:
    "First I went left, he did too. Then I went right, and he did too. Then I went left again, and he went to buy a hot dog.”

Reporter: “You’ve got some scars on your face, Zlatan. What has happened?”
    Zlatan: “Well…I don’t know…you’ll have to ask your wife about that”

After being criticised by John Carew:
    “What Carew does with a football, I can do with an orange.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thread needs more Roy Keane...

“My first game [for Celtic] was Clyde, away, in the third round of the Scottish Cup. We were beaten 2-1. It was a nightmare. I wasn’t happy with my own game. I did OK, but OK wasn’t good enough. After the game – the disappointment. As I was taking my jersey off, I noticed the Nike tag was still on it. When I got on the bus John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink. I said to myself: ‘Welcome to Hell.’”

“It might seem strange but you find out about characters when you look to see who’s in charge of the music. A young lad might want to put on the latest sound; an older player might say: ‘I’m the senior player’ and put himself in charge. But I noticed none of the players [at Sunderland] were in charge of the music and this was a concern for me. A member of staff was in charge. I was looking at him thinking: ‘I hope someone nails him here.’ The last song before the players went on to the pitch was ‘Dancing Queen’ by Abba. What really worried me was that none of the players – not one – said: ‘Get that sh*t off.’ They were going out to play a match, men versus men, testosterone levels were high. You’ve got to hit people at pace. F*ckin’ ‘Dancing Queen.’ It worried me. I didn’t have as many leaders as I thought.”

“I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal. Sparky said: ‘Yeah, yeah, he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you.’ Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room. Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be f*cking signing that.’”

I also love this one involving a United team talk by Alex Ferguson ahead of a match with Spurs...

/enters room

'Lads, it's Tottenham.'

/leaves room

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Roy Keane after his Celtic debut defeat to Clyde.
    "When I got on the bus John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink. I said to myself: ‘Welcome to Hell' "

Zlatan after a game vs Marseille:
    "Normally we play with four defenders," Zlatan explained, "but I think today we played with five: our four and Gignac. He played like a central defender today."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

gosplan wrote: »

It's always misquoted as well. He didn't even say it like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'Typical Germans'
    Alex Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

"Nobody will finish above us in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if we were to go unbeaten for the whole of the season." Arsene Wenger before the 2002/2003 season. Happened a year later than he thought.

“The problem with Marotta is he’s playing pool with one eye and counting points with the other.”

Lazio president Lotito on Juventus director Marotta

Beppe-Morata.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Craig Bellamy arrives at Glasgow airport with Man City. Rangers supporter asks him to sign rangers jersey. " I'm not signing that not a chance "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

"To Gerrrrarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddd" "Oh you beautyyyyy. What a hit, son. What. A. Hit."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gosplan wrote: »
    What's great about that quote is that it's an insight into the mind of a man that wants to win no matter how many times he has won before. I'm sure if you asked Alex Ferguson, Fabio Capello, Arrigo Sacchi, Ottmar Hitzfeld, Bob Paisley or Brian Clough that they'd all agree with that statement.

You have to have that mind to be successful for as long as those guys were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

eagle eye wrote: »
    What's great about that quote is that it's an insight into the mind of a man that wants to win no matter how many times he has won before. I'm sure if you asked Alex Ferguson, Fabio Capello, Arrigo Sacchi, Ottmar Hitzfeld, Bob Paisley or Brian Clough that they'd all agree with that statement.

A lot of it was mind with Shankley, as well as the others you mention.

My favourite:
    A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.

Paisley was a lot quieter and had phenomenal success, but sharp witted. This one is still apt today:

Liverpool faced Crusaders on their way to the European Cup final in Rome in 1977
    "I remember the Ulstermen packing their penalty area at Anfield and making it extremely difficult for us to find the space to create chances. One of their players lost a contact lens during the game and I told him, 'There's only one place it will be - in the penalty area!"

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Another recent one from Michael

"When they don't score, they hardly ever win"

:confused:

He's right.

Man City's defence is so bad that they need to score a load of goals. 1-0/2-0 wins for them are rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

In my opinion that quote is fairly trite and has zero wit and therefore fails as a great quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A few more gems from Cloughie....

"The ugliest player I ever signed was Kenny Burns."

"The River Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years."

When Martin O’Neill asked why he’d been dropped: "Because you’re too good for the first team."

On Forest midfielder Brian Rice: "I’m not saying he’s pale and thin, but the maid in our hotel room pulled back the sheets and remade the bed without realising he was still in it."

"Beckham? His wife can’t sing and his barber can’t cut hair."

To the Forest physio after Stuart Pearce suffered concussion and wasn't sure of himself: "Tell him he’s Pele and that he’s playing up front for the last 10 minutes".

On Roy Keane: "I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

"If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well."

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

major bill wrote: »
    ''It was like living in a Different Country''

Ian Rush on about his time in Italy :pac:

Pretty sure Rush never actually said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Think it was also attributed to Luther Blisset and something about how it doesn't matter how much they are paying you when you cant buy Cornflakes in the supermarket its not worth it.

I don't really believe them but then its important not to let the truth get in the way of a good story now and again.

grenache wrote: »
    A few more gems from Cloughie....

"The ugliest player I ever signed was Kenny Burns."

"The River Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years."

When Martin O’Neill asked why he’d been dropped: "Because you’re too good for the first team."

On Forest midfielder Brian Rice: "I’m not saying he’s pale and thin, but the maid in our hotel room pulled back the sheets and remade the bed without realising he was still in it."

"Beckham? His wife can’t sing and his barber can’t cut hair."

To the Forest physio after Stuart Pearce suffered concussion and wasn't sure of himself: "Tell him he’s Pele and that he’s playing up front for the last 10 minutes".

On Roy Keane: "I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

"If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well."

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there"

Pretty sure the "tell him he's Pele" one was a Partick Thistle manager, John Lambie. At least back in the 80s it was attributed to Lambie.

And almost every single one of the Zlatan quotes are made up. I thought he had a good line about a year or 2 ago...but turned out it was made up too!

Nah, it's just a throwaway comment that's clearly untrue.

'Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing'

Now that makes sense in they way you describe.

But 'football more important than life or death'

That's just incorrect and none of those people would agree. I mean the tragedy of Hillsborough was not that the game was called off.

It's an utterly stupid statement that people throw around without thinking about at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

"There's only one person gets you sacked and that's the fans."

Paul Merson of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Reporter: "No yellow cards today..."
    McCarthy: "No and I asked all the lads to go out there and knock seven bells out of everybody as well like I normally do. Shame that isn't it? They went out there and played free-flowing football and were rampant for 45 minutes. What were they playing at?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement