Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee Machine Query

• 21-12-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

I’m thinking of buying a coffee machine for my mother for Christmas but I have no idea where to start. I was looking at a few in Argos but I don’t really know how they work. I have a budget of €100. Can anyone advise me as to which would be the best machine to buy? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Why not a cafetere or mocca pot. Simplicity is key and in that price range quality might not t be good.
    I have a good machine and the procedure wrecks my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Tassimo from BOSCH, does coffee, tea, chocolate, very high quality coffee, you can get Costa pods for it too, yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I agree, here's a selection from Argos & Currys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=60-10-TAS554

This one, 50 euro cheaper than curry's. Also don't buy the pods there, Tesco are selling the pods at half price at the moment.
    You can't go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why not a cafetere or mocca pot. Simplicity is key and in that price range quality might not t be good.
    I have a good machine and the procedure wrecks my head.
    You have to take into consideration that for €100 and given OP's mother might not be an enthusiast, pressing a button on a cheap pod machine is probably a lot more satisfying despite the difference in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

deco nate wrote: »
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=60-10-TAS554

This one, 50 euro cheaper than curry's. Also don't buy the pods there, Tesco are selling the pods at half price at the moment.
    You can't go wrong

Afaik, the offer of reduced pods is until Jan, i've posted about it in the Tesco thread in BA
    J_E wrote: »
    You have to take into consideration that for €100 and given OP's mother might not be an enthusiast, pressing a button on a cheap pod machine is probably a lot more satisfying despite the difference in quality.

Same here, i was looking for a red VIVY II for my mum, not too complicated & was recommended in another thread, couldn't find any, posted in a different thread here, with no luck:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dillonmr

if automation is what she would like get a nespresso or other pod based machine. I'm not a fan myself but they are very easy to use.

Don't get a mocha pot, despite what some are saying here they are anything but simple and it takes a lot of understanding and care to make a nice drinkable coffee from one.

french press is easy to use and really underrated, a decent one with a good technic will make consistently good coffee. partner it will a burr grinder and she will wow her friends and visitors with the fresh joyful coffee she'll be making. Start to finish freshen press should take about 8mins to make (incl. grinding).

If she wants speed and is mainly making for one, and can handle a "gadget" try a Aeropress. they make a great coffee for one in a fraction of the time of a fresh press and doesn't use as much coffee (also easier to clean).

A final option and a nice one I would think, would be a V60 or Cemex pourover. These are very easy to use and look great. cleaning is easier then any of the above. Again for the french press, aeropress, V60 or Cemex I would try and partner it with a grinder as this is where the best coffee favour increase comes from.

R

Advertisement