Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Sober Christmas

Options
  • 21-12-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Just popping in to say good luck to everyone over Christmas.

I have been following the Non-Drinkers forum for a good few years as I knew for a long time that I had a problem with alcohol. This year I finally surrendered and will have 8 months on the 4th of January.

I have chosen so far not to go to 12 step meetings. I have been part of an online community (mostly based in the UK and USA), am going to regular therapy sessions and have been reading lots of blogs and books. While I think 12 steps are a great resource for so many people for me it doesn't fit and it's disappointing to find a lack of alternatives in Ireland. I have come across a few but I live in the midlands and with a business and small baby I find it difficult to get to Dublin where most are held. Also while I had been drinking in an unhealthy way for 10 years I hadn't thankfully progressed too far into my alcoholism. I was emotionally but not physically dependent. It was a combination of knowing my family history and genetics as well as not wanting to repeat those patterns for my sons sake that finally led me to make the decision to quit.

When I see others out having a good time over Christmas I get a little nostalgic but it helps to remember what it was REALLY like for me. My drinking gremlin likes to let me believe that it was all champagne and dancing but if I pull from the true memory bank it wasn't like that at all. It was waking up with a dry mouth, thumping head full of regret (often no memory) and dragging myself through the days telling myself something had to change.

I recommend anyone who fears they will struggle over Christmas to write down their worst alcohol-related Christmas memory and keep it close for the next fortnight.

xx
    Tagged:

Advertisement