Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window 2016 Thread

• 21-12-2015 1:16pm
    Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Looks like Watford have got the ball rolling.

They've apparently signed Juan Iturbe from Roma on loan with a view to a permanent deal worth £14million.

What a bargain!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Faugheen wrote: »

They've apparently signed Juan Iturbe from Roma on loan with a view to a permanent deal worth £14million.

What a bargain!

Cracking signing if true, has really impressed me since he joined Roma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Really.

He was good for Verona hasn't done much for Roma over the past season and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Faugheen wrote: »

What a bargain!
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

He's been absolutely ****e for Roma in the last year. Says a lot that Roma are loaning him out while Salah is injured and they've no replacement.

I can see him having more success in England though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool have got, subject to medical, Red Star hotshot midfield dynamo Marko Grujić though he will see out the rest of the Serbian season on loan.

The other most likely buy in January will be a pre-transfer agreement for defender Joel Matip of Schake 04. Also talk of ex Dortmund left sided utility man Kevin Grosskreutz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Grosskreutz is impossible as he already agreed a deal with Gala at the end of the summer window, the paperwork just wasn't sorted in time.

• Advertisement

Grosskreutz is impossible as he already agreed a deal with Gala at the end of the summer window, the paperwork just wasn't sorted in time.

Liverpool would buy him, 1.5m is the talk.

Perhaps but there's also the "no more than two clubs in a season" rule to work out.

Well has he hasn't kicked a ball for them that might not be much of an issue for UEFA (though it might be as it is UEFA!) anyway its not a big deal for now. More important areas need addressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd love a major spend in the January transfer window but seeing as we're not going to get top 4 and wont be relegated we're probably better off waiting until the summer to do any decent business.

Also, given some of our January signings, its better we stay clear of any player unless its an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The poor guys ankle's are in bits. He nearly retired and just isn't physically fit enough to play at the top level.

His brother is the manager of Langreo which i doubt is a coincidence.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was a fantasy football legend, sad to see such a talented player's career nosedive like that.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So happy with that Iturbe deal for Watford. It's win win with the option to buy. If it doesn't work out, he can go back to Roma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SantryRed wrote: »
    So happy with that Iturbe deal for Watford. It's win win with the option to buy. If it doesn't work out, he can go back to Roma!

Bournemouth now favourites to sign him, looks like things broke down between him and Watford.

Out of contract in the summer so free to talk in January.

Sofiane Feghouli - Valencia
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic - PSG
    Ever Banega - Sevilla
    Samir Handanovic - Internazionale
    Joel Matip - Schalke
    Caner Erkin - Fenerbahce
    Mehmet Topal - Fenerbahce
    Ezequiel Lavezzi - PSG
    Nicolas N'Koulou - Marseille
    Andre Carrillo - Sporting Lisbon
    Steve Mandanda - Marseille
    van der Wiel - PSG
    Martin Caceres - Juventus
    Dani Osvaldo - Porto
    Aleksandr Kokorin - Dinamo Moscow
    Miguel Veloso - Dynamo Kyiv
    David Villa - New York City
    Yuto Nagatomo - Internazionale
    Marchetti - Lazio Roman
    Neustadter - Schalke 04
    Andrija Zivkovic - Partizan
    Gokhan Gonul - Fenerbahce
    Hatem Ben Arfa - Nice
    Riccardo Montolivo - AC Milan
    Ron Vlaar - AZ
    Marcos Alonso - Fiorentina
    Yoann Gourcuff - Rennes
    Eder Balanta - River Plate
    Tonny Vilhena - Feyenoord
    Rodrigo Palacio - Internazionale
    Pablo Sarabia - Getafe
    Emre Colak - Galatasaray
    Daniel Agger - Brondby
    Vagner Love - Corinthians
    Romulo - Spartak Moscow
    Raul Meireles - Fenerbahce
    Christopher Samba - Dinamo Moscow
    Mati Fernandez - Fiorentina
    Igor Denisov - Dinamo Moscow
    Jan Kirchoff - Bayern
    Alvaro Arbeloa - Real Madrid
    Patrice Evra - Juventus
    Andrea Barzagli - Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Out of contract in the summer so free to talk in January.

Ever Banega - Sevilla

Nearly sure he is on a 3 year deal with Sevilla.

Also imo the player Fergie should have signed Scholes retired the 1st time. Superb footballer.

Also filthy.....very very filthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Jar is to Norwich 2.5 million, never really impressed me. Big loss for West ham 8 million

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Newcastle's Perez has revealed that Man United and Spurs are both interested in him.

Corholio wrote: »
    Bournemouth now favourites to sign him, looks like things broke down between him and Watford.

Supposedly Bournemouth offered him more money. Watford are not getting into a bidding war and left him to choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

SantryRed wrote: »
    Supposedly Bournemouth offered him more money. Watford are not getting into a bidding war and left him to choose.

Do they not just pay his wages to the club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lamine Kone, an Ivorian CB from Lorient, is signing for Sunderland pending a medical. Can't say I've ever seen him play. Anyone?

There'll be a lot of pressure on him because he'll be needed to slot in and perform to a high level straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Paully D wrote: »
    There'll be a lot of pressure on him because he'll be needed to slot in and perform to a high level straight away.

High Level ..... Sunderland .... :confused:

:pac:

I crack that joke knowing full well it's gonna bite me on the arse later V's Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RayCon wrote: »
    High Level ..... Sunderland .... :confused:

:pac:

I crack that joke knowing full well it's gonna bite me on the arse later V's Liverpool

Even though you were joking it still made no sense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jonas hoffman has signed for gladback from dortmund, talented player but lost his way the last couple of seasons and had a bad injury too iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nearly sure he is on a 3 year deal with Sevilla.

Also imo the player Fergie should have signed Scholes retired the 1st time. Superb footballer.

Also filthy.....very very filthy.

Maybe he just signed it very recently, because he was still in negotiations with the club at the end of November on a new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Juan Iturbe: Bournemouth sign Roma forward on loan until May
    Bournemouth have signed forward Juan Iturbe on loan from Roma for the rest of the season.
    The Cherries will have the option to sign the 22-year-old Argentinean on a permanent deal in the summer.
    The winger trained with Bournemouth on Friday but will not be available for Saturday's game against Leicester as he is awaiting a European work permit.
    Iturbe joined Roma on a five-year contract from Italian rivals Verona in July 2014 for £17.4m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35210497?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The midtable sides are picking up some decent talent,no wonder the league is so competitive this season.

Norwich have bid for Ranocchia.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I have been thinking about this recently. Maybe they should do away with the January transfer window?

Firstly, there's an entire squad of players at their disposal. If they haven't done the right business in the summer then they should be punished for it. That's why they have three or so months of preparation. Have a plan and stick to it says I.

Second. Sure there are injuries to players. That happens. Again there is a squad. I think it's tougher for the kids in a squad to get a chance as it is, generally they have to wait until injury or fatigue takes down the more senior players to get a look in. This is made even harder by the fact that teams can hold out, then reinforce positions. Forces kids to remain on the periphery when they could be making real improvements through game-time. (England should love this with their obsession with how crap grass roots are).

That's an interesting signing for Bournemouth though. Arsenal are reported to be into this defensive mid from Basel as well. I know nothing about these players. We shall see how they look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Wonder will Leicester splash the cash, make a big push for champions league qualification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I have been thinking about this recently. Maybe they should do away with the January transfer window?

Firstly, there's an entire squad of players at their disposal. If they haven't done the right business in the summer then they should be punished for it. That's why they have three or so months of preparation. Have a plan and stick to it says I.

Second. Sure there are injuries to players. That happens. Again there is a squad. I think it's tougher for the kids in a squad to get a chance as it is, generally they have to wait until injury or fatigue takes down the more senior players to get a look in. This is made even harder by the fact that teams can hold out, then reinforce positions. Forces kids to remain on the periphery when they could be making real improvements through game-time. (England should love this with their obsession with how crap grass roots are).

That's an interesting signing for Bournemouth though. Arsenal are reported to be into this defensive mid from Basel as well. I know nothing about these players. We shall see how they look.

The January transfer window should be got rid of, but I'd get rid of the summer transfer window ending 3 weeks after the season began before I'd get rid of the January window

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Am I wrong in thinking that Everton were recently looking to sell the club for 200m? I know everyone said this was a good price but it really sounds underpriced to me

If sold this January they would get 100m for stones, lukaku and Barkley wouldn't they?

3 players for half the clubs cost

Edit: Might have been closer to 225m but tbh they would get 110m for them 3 atm without too much hassle

Jan Kirchoff to Sunderland per German press. Sam rightly going all out for defenders early in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Am I wrong in thinking that Everton were recently looking to sell the club for 200m? I know everyone said this was a good price but it really sounds underpriced to me

If sold this January they would get 100m for stones, lukaku and Barkley wouldn't they?

Edit: Might have been closer to 225m but tbh they would get 110m for them 3 atm without too much hassle

Would be bargain alright if only I had the 225 million to spare I'd buy them up.

They made 30 million profit the year before last before the tv deal kicking in, low enough debt too I read something like 25 million

Barkley, Lukaku and Stones could get them close to 150 million next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

West Ham made the forbes list last year and Everton didn't. This was explained a little by a former CEO of carling who spoke at the Everton Shareholders Association meeting.
    He said: “Some people might be surprised that West Ham are on the list and Everton aren’t but if we break the figures down you can see why.

“The first factor is matchday revenue. For Everton this would be around $38million which would probably be slightly less than West Ham’s.

“Given the two clubs’ likely finishing positions this season (around 10th), their broadcast revenue would be roughly the same at around $152million.

“West Ham are ahead of Everton both in terms of commercial income, bringing in around $36million as opposed to their $22million while their operating income is also smaller at around $40million to their $54million.

Beardwood added: “Forbes are calculating the final figures by using a club’s enterprise value which is your equity minus debt.

“An issue that Everton have in this respect is that they’re in negative equity as they have more debt than their assets are worth.

“When taking all of this into account Everton would be worth around $206million and given that Forbes are using an exchange rate of $1 to 62 pence then that makes Everton Football Club worth around £127million - which for me feels about right.”

He talks a little more about it, but that gives you the gist.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paully D wrote: »
    Jan Kirchoff to Sunderland per German press. Sam rightly going all out for defenders early in the window.

€1 million fee.

https://twitter.com/LovellLowdown/status/683796834217803778

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Per Oat's post in the Bundesliga thread and a bit of further reading I've done on the back of that, I have absolutely no expectation that he'll ever see the field regularly enough to have any sort of positive impact for us unfortunately.

Hopefully Sam can get Kone from Lorient in who is also rumoured to be close. At least he might play consistently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The January transfer window should be got rid of, but I'd get rid of the summer transfer window ending 3 weeks after the season began before I'd get rid of the January window

1 window from june 1st till june 30 would be my preference.
    Sick and tired of the Dutch league 4 or 5 matches old and see completely different teams before or after september 1st.

Couple of years ago they had Ajax - Feyenoord scheduled as 3rd match, in August. 2 weeks later and Alderweireld and Eriksen left Ajax.

It makes a lot of leagues a joke, that september closing date.

Same thing with players on loan.

Ajax has Sanogo on loan currently but as with his time at Arsenal, there is always something wrong with him. So now they asked Chelsea for Traore (did wel last Vitesse last season).
    If they had asked 3 weeks ago, a deal would probably have been done.
    Now Hiddink is at Chelsea, always been a PSV man, and Ajax can forget about Traore.

I'd but not make it that short but certainly June 1st - July 31st would be plenty of time.

I'd but not make it that short but certainly June 1st - July 31st would be plenty of time.

I kept it that short with an eye on CL qualifiers.

UEFA acknowledged the early start of that as a problem by scrapping the rule of players who played in those, not being able to play for another team in the group stages.
    So they saw the issue, just came with the wrong solution.
    Blatter jr Platini at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I certainly believe that the window should never be open during the season. It should only open between the league finishing and restarting.

I believe doing so would lead to a fairer league while also allowing greater opportunities for younger players.

If a club, we'll say Spurs for arguments sake, make a number of signings after having played a few games, it puts those they still have to face at a compatible disadvantage, as those they have already faced effectively played a weaker Spurs. Situations whereby one club can sign a competitors best player, in some instances days before they play each other (Torres and Andy Cole are two eg's off the top of my head) is wrong IMO

With regard to young players, if a club can't sign players mid season, they'll have to give youth a chance.

I'd also extend this to encompass managers. You can sack a manager, but you can only replace him with someone already at the club. While providing managers with a bit of security, it would also allow managers to pursue longer term strategies, making it easier for them to give younger players a chance. As things stand, managers may be reluctant to do so as they know a few defeats and they could be out the door. Managers regularly talk of this difficulty in blooding young players and their inability to focus on the long term on the basis that poor results in the short term may see them sacked.

• Advertisement

Barca contracting 77 players 1 day after their transfer ban finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

inforfun wrote: »
    Barca contracting 77 players 1 day after their transfer ban finished.

That Guardiola guy (no relation) won't be on it anyway.

Signed for Barca B and 4 hours later was sacked! Sent a tweet that was less than complimentary about Catalonia and Barcelona before.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Here

Idiot.

And of course the most used excuse on social media **** ups > a friend did it

inforfun wrote: »
    Here

Idiot.

And of course the most used excuse on social media **** ups > a friend did it

Hardly the worst I've ever seen but can see why somebody picked up on it.

Clubs will be checking twitter history from now on I'd say.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Watford rumoured to be signing Mario Suarez. News outlets in France have said that he has turned down Marseille and is more interested in coming to Vicarage Road! Also talk of Liverpool being interested too.

Would be quite the signing for Watford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's just another month to us....

What day did that Sergi Guardiola story break?

Because 28 December is the Spanish April Fool's Day and straight away that's what I thought, though it could be a massive coincidence.

Around that time all right, heavily reported in the press and Graham Hunter was commenting on it in one of the podcasts I listen to.

Amazing some of the players Watford or a Bournemouth can now tempt to them.

Just on the Everton valuation that was discussed, I'd imagine the need for a new stadium would come into the valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Grujic confirmed to liverpool, amd back to belgrade he goes.!

Younes belhanda, a player from the ligue 1 winning montpellier side a few years back has signed for schalke on loan from kiev. Chased the money to eastern europe, probably could have signed for a "bigger" club at the time.

• Sunderland look to have nabbed a Bayern Munich defender..source SSN

• Advertisement
Advertisement