Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland in mid 2016

Options
  • 21-12-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

I’m thinking of moving to Ireland with my wife around May to July 2016.

Con someone tell me where in Dublin is the cheapest place to stay and find work?

Any advice or things I should know before moving to Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dublin isnt cheap and I'd suggest you have a job to come home from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kingrulzuk

godtabh wrote: »
    Dublin isnt cheap and I'd suggest you have a job to come home from.

Hi there

im working in Scotland now but i will be getting married to a non EEA and its to hard to bring my future wife to UK, so i will be using the SS route.

so where in Ireland is good to find a job and a place to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Dublin for a job and Leitrim for a place to stay if you want the cheapest of both. Depends on what you do, if you drive, how far you want to be, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

kingrulzuk wrote: »
    Hi there

im working in Scotland now but i will be getting married to a non EEA and its to hard to bring my future wife to UK, so i will be using the SS route.

so where in Ireland is good to find a job and a place

Dublin is the only place really if your sending out cvs. Maybe elaborate in what sector your looking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, what do you do? With some skills, getting a job is relatively simple. With some, it's not.

Be aware that Ireland is a very expensive place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

OP, no offence but your post is a little naive. I think you need to provide us with some basics in order to help advise.

Where is easiest to get a job depends on your skillset. If it's farming, then it's not Dublin, if it's IT for example then yes most likely Dublin. What are you living requirements? kids, dogs? What are you qualifications?

Advice on moving to Ireland? I imagine similar to moving to any country, research taxation, standard rental contracts and rights, commuting costs, the culture itself, the people, clubs/societies to help you fit in ( if the wife is outside EU, this might help), line up some interviews in advance, test the water by seeing how many responses you receive...etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Dublin will be very hard to find a place to rent without a reference from an employer. If you can pay 6 months rent in advance landlords might be able to accept you. I think you would need to have a job lined up. You should come to Ireland as soon as you can and before your wife. You need to have a job and apartment before she gets here or it will be very stressful for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clmitchell

Minderbinder is correct in that one of you will need a job to be able to get a rental property in Dublin. When I came over with my husband, he had a contract and earned enough for them to be satisfied that we could afford the rent. Renting property in Dublin is competitive and they will ask for evidence of your income.

Dublin being the biggest city is where most of the job opportunities are, but also the most expensive place to live. The south side of Dublin is more expensive, but you will find cheaper accommodation on the north side and further out of Dublin, so be willing to commute further for cheaper rent.

Boards.ie won't let me post a link, but if you go the the website <MOD SNIP > there's some advice on how to get a job in Ireland under the tab "Work" - "How to find a job in Ireland".

Good luck.

Advertisement