Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords Fixture / Furnishing Obligations

Options
  • 21-12-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    We are looking to rent a brand new property from the builder directly. I'm just wondering what are the legal requirements for the following -
    The house will be unfurnished. However there will be one single built in wardrobe in each room, flooring, cooker, small fridge, washing machine.
    Needed - Side fence and gate, shed, window blinds, alarm. Can anyone tell me is this the responsibility of us the tenant or the responsibility of the landlord himself?

TIA for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

None of what you are looking for in terms of the shed/blinds etc is required to be provided apart from a smoke alarm, not sure if you were looking for a burglar alarm?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Cooker fridge freezer and washing machine is your lot from that list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What about flooring- presumably its uncarpeted etc- you'll have to factor this into equations too........

From your list- the only items the landlord has to supply are-

1. A working fridge freezer
    2. a working washing machine
    3. a cooker with at least 2 working rings

It sounds like you're renting a new build- entirely unfurnished- which is entirely fine- however- you're going to have to source furniture etc (e.g. beds even).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Is it normal to rent new builds direct from builders now?

I would have thought you get whats in the inventory and thats that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

esforum wrote: »
    Is it normal to rent new builds direct from builders now?

I would have thought you get whats in the inventory and thats that.

Its not normal- few builders want the hassle/trouble of being a landlord- its not the business they're in (though if its a short-term let, perhaps the builder sees it as a way to snag the property- before selling it?)

Aside from anything else- there are tax implications to selling a house which has been let- versus a new build that has not had a previous occupant. One second thoughts- a builder would be nuts to let a property- he/she would be liable for taxes that don't apply to a new build sale.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JennyT wrote: »
    We are looking to rent a brand new property from the builder directly.
    Sounds like the OP is doing a rent-to-buy scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you signed a lease yet?

I would insist on the side fence and gate if possible.

Advertisement