Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 9 Christmas Special: 'The Husbands of River Song'

• 21-12-2015 4:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the climax & its fallout still fresh in mind, it seems like a big fat anticlimax to have a 'frivolous' Christmas Special so soon after. Doubly strange to watch the trailers and see what appears to be an overtly playful, comedic tone; stark contrast with the emotional rollercoaster of series 9.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,042 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thus far it seems this year's Christmas Ham is being served by Alex Kingston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good episode because of the strength of the acting.

I thought that was LOVELY <3

props for the Wilde quote :D

And they finally tied up the singing towers bit. And then it turned out it was 24 years. Brilliant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It was entertaining fluff special, albeit the Doctor's "surprise" at the bigger inside than outside of the Tardis was an excellent scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I liked it.

The talking head reminded me of Murray the talking skull in monkey Island 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Given the Christmas episode is always fluff, this was good fun. And filled in part of the canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I found it rather light at first, though it had some nice scenes (like the Doctor entering the Tardis for the first time, as said above). But the ending was really good, very sweet, Capaldi and Kingston were excellent together and it tied up some loose ends in a really nice way. Don't know if it was the two main actors being of closer age than Smith or Tennant were to Kingston, but it felt to me that it was the first time that the Doctor was 'in charge' or 'equal' to River, whereas in previous episodes she's always had that cocky nature and he was playing the slightly bumbling husband who's keeping up...

Note sure when the next season is (middle of next year?), but it looks like it's really starting fresh, no more Clara, I'm guessing we won't see River again (that really was a perfect goodbye for her) so that just leaves Capaldi and new stories/adventures. Wonder who the new companion will be?

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

We still have to see River in the Jim the Fish episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have to admit I found it a bit of a coincidence that River Song is on the telly and we have her spin off series with the 8th Doctor released at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I suspect we'll never see Jim the Fish, I reckon they'll leave that to our imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Face of boe and Jim the fish. Got to be a detective story adventure in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I believe that was covered in the "Good Night" short on the series 6 dvd, the Doctor thought he got the Queen who had been turned into a goldfish, but he turned out to have the wrong fish.
    Speaking of those shorts, the two which featured River Song on Camera, First Night and Last Night, were referenced in last night's episode "Remember when there was two of you " in that it was implied that he brought her to that dinner. But obviously, he cancelled. Nice writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that was all exactly as goofy and silly as i expected it to be; after the drama of the series 9 finale it felt the wrong side of lighthearted after everything that happened, but hey ho, that's Dr Who and it's ever shifting tone. Murray Gold even got to go back to his loud, overbearing styles.

A nice, poignant final 20 minutes though, and a fitting enough send off for River, if indeed it's her last appearance.

Watched Silence In The Library and The Forest Of The Dead last night, great to see them again with The Husbands of River Song fresh in my mind.

Just like I hope we don't see Clara again (as much as I like her) as it would just dilute her goodbye even more, I feel the same way about River. Very fond of the character, but she got a great goodbye, so let's leave it that way...

J.

Very odd problem (not asking for a link, mods) but I was somewhere with out TV at Christmas, but thought I'd just get it from the usual suspects. I can't find it anywhere.

Was there a big crackdown regarding Who?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very odd problem (not asking for a link, mods) but I was somewhere with out TV at Christmas, but thought I'd just get it from the usual suspects. I can't find it anywhere.

Was there a big crackdown regarding Who?

BBC player is set up to exclude certain geographic areas where they can make money selling re-runs, Ireland being one such place. Leaving torrents and other dodgy stuff aside, I'd keep your eyes on BBC3 and BBC4 for the inevitable repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

jasonb wrote: »
    Watched Silence In The Library and The Forest Of The Dead last night, great to see them again with The Husbands of River Song fresh in my mind.

Just like I hope we don't see Clara again (as much as I like her) as it would just dilute her goodbye even more, I feel the same way about River. Very fond of the character, but she got a great goodbye, so let's leave it that way...

J.

About to watch them 2 episodes as well.

I just went old school, I had them on DVD! ;)

J.

Advertisement