Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trifle - help

Options
  • 21-12-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I was planning to put raspberries in jelly and then put a sponge on top, can't remember if this is the right way around, when do you add the sherry? I looked on line but all the trifles seem complicated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Trifle is forgiving so whatever you do it will probably be fine. :)

What I do is line my dish with sponge, then pour alcohol onto the sponge. Next I add fruit, and then pour jelly on top. Allow to set before adding custard and cream. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I don't use jelly,

I line a glass dsh with slices of Swiss roll,

Open a tin of fruit cocktail, pour off the juice into a jug, put the fruit on top of the Swiss roll, add sherry to the juice and pour on top, don't make it too soggy, you want it to soak it up, without being soggy, make custard, pour over when cooled a little, then the next day add cream,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I was planning to put raspberries in jelly and then put a sponge on top, can't remember if this is the right way around, when do you add the sherry? I looked on line but all the trifles seem complicated. Thanks

Maybe what you could do is put the sponge in the dish, make up the jelly, put in the raspberries, then add the jelly on top, that would work, then custard then cream, then hundreds and thousands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Maybe if I put the sponge and the raspberries in the bottom of the dish, then put on some alcohol (would port be o.k. I dont have sherry?) then pour the jelly on top, then add a layer of custard followed by a layer of cream and some fruit on top?

Sorry I know I sound like a bit of a twit but I have to bring it for Xmas dinner to a friends house and panicking I will make a mess of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Maybe if I put the sponge and the raspberries in the bottom of the dish, then put on some alcohol (would port be o.k. I dont have sherry?) then pour the jelly on top, then add a layer of custard followed by a layer of cream and some fruit on top?

Sorry I know I sound like a bit of a twit but I have to bring it for Xmas dinner to a friends house and panicking I will make a mess of it.

Yes, that will be fine. Don't overdo it on the port - a couple of tablespoons will be fine. Make sure you allow the jelly to set before you add the custard and cream. Good luck. You will be fine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I don't think port would work.

I'd no sherry one year so just left it out.
    Everyone said it was the nicest triffle I'd done, so now I just leave it out.

With the flavours of the raspberry, custard and cream, and jelly, you won't miss the alcohol.
    Everyone loves custard, just make sure you put a good layer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I crumb the sponge into the jelly before it sets. Sponge stays suspended in the jelly this way. Layer of custard on top when jelly sets and topped off with cream and broken up Cadburys flake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I had no intention of making trifle for Christmas but I've a fierce hankering for it now after reading this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ceemgee

I place trifle sponges at the bottom, and then pour sherry in. Allow t to soak for a short time and then I add jelly made with juice from can of fruit (usually use mandarins and fruit salad). I don't make the jelly too weak.
    Then I add custard after it has set, and sometimes I add bananas to the custard (if it is going to be served fairly quickly as the bananas can go brown). Top with whipped cream and toasted almond flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ceemgee

I place trifle sponges at the bottom, and then pour sherry in. Allow it to soak for a short time and then I add jelly made with juice from can of fruit (usually use mandarins and fruit salad). I don't make the jelly too weak.
    Then I add custard (sometimes adding a bit of cream) after it has set, and sometimes I add bananas to the custard (if it is going to be served fairly quickly as the bananas can go brown). Top with whipped cream and toasted almond flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

It worked out perfect.

I put the sponge on the bottom then poured over port ( I had no sherry ) then added Raspberry jelly to set. After that came custard after that cream and on top of the cream I decorated it with raspberries, it was devoured not a teaspoon left over. I must admit it was yummy as had a big portion myself. Thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I made some last night, put the custard in when it was still hot and melted the jelly!
    It's all ok though, stuck it back in the fridge and its all set up ok again. Won't make that mistake again though...

Advertisement