Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case fans stopped...

Options
  • 21-12-2015 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Hi ive a coolermaster stormtrooper, 2 of my case fans today decided to stop working (Big top fan and the big back fan) after i cleaned the dust out of my pc, iv check the connections and no luck, all the other fans are working the 2 case fans on the front are working no prob the cpu fan is working as is the gpu,

My temps are all fine even without these 2 fans but its just bugging me that they wont work, any help be greatly appreciated!

850 w PSU
    8gb ram
    i7
    r9 290x tri x sapphire
    Z87 Extreme 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

evo2000 wrote: »
    Hi ive a coolermaster stormtrooper, 2 of my case fans today decided to stop working (Big top fan and the big back fan) after i cleaned the dust out of my pc, iv check the connections and no luck, all the other fans are working the 2 case fans on the front are working no prob the cpu fan is working as is the gpu,

My temps are all fine even without these 2 fans but its just bugging me that they wont work, any help be greatly appreciated!

850 w PSU
    8gb ram
    i7
    r9 290x tri x sapphire
    Z87 Extreme 4

Can you narrow down the problem? Are the fans working if you connect them to the other fan headers on the motherboard? Will the other fans work when connected to the fan headers that the not working fans are connected to? I'm assuming they are all connected to the motherboard and not the power supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Can you narrow down the problem? Are the fans working if you connect them to the other fan headers on the motherboard? Will the other fans work when connected to the fan headers that the not working fans are connected to? I'm assuming they are all connected to the motherboard and not the power supply.

i dont know what a fan header is or if they are connected to the power supply or not ill take a few pics to give you a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

i dont know what a fan header is or if they are connected to the power supply or not ill take a few pics to give you a better idea.

If there is a control to vary the fan speed, then they are probably plugged into the power supply.

tadcan wrote: »
    If there is a control to vary the fan speed, then they are probably plugged into the power supply.

Yeah theres buttons on the front that control the case fan speed

The fan on the back left and the big one on the top both not working

• Advertisement

Ok, so the CPU fan looks like its plugged into the motherboard. The back fan cable looks like it is going into the same place the six pin cable comes out of and I don't see any cables for the front fan go into the motherboard, so I presume they are all connected on the otherside of the case. There is also what appears to be a cable along the back of the motherboard, where is that plugged in.

Maybe a picture with the other panel might help to trace the fans. Check that the connection in the back. If that doesn't work see look for a connection that says case fan and plug into that, if the fan still doesn't turn, it may have failed.
    I presume the two front fans change speed with the control?

Ok, so the CPU fan looks like its plugged into the motherboard. The back fan cable looks like it is going into the same place the six pin cable comes out of and I don't see any cables for the front fan go into the motherboard, so I presume they are all connected on the otherside of the case. There is also what appears to be a cable along the back of the motherboard, where is that plugged in.

Maybe a picture with the other panel might help to trace the fans. Check that the connection in the back. If that doesn't work see look for a connection that says case fan and plug into that, if the fan still doesn't turn, it may have failed.
    I presume the two front fans change speed with the control?

I uploaded a back pic there with all the wires, i checked the connections, they seem to be fitting in fine, yeah the 2 front fans work perfect with the fan speed control thing, the back 2 are the only ones not working? they d hardly both fail ?

Oh wait it never uploaded.. ill try upload it again

heres the pic

Hmm, seeing the back hasn't made it clearer for me. So the cable that reaches across the back into the top right grommet comes from the front, so maybe the connect is under the top of the first picture and out of view. Is that where you checked the connection? Also in the first picture there is three cables, one 6pin which goes into the motherboard and two others. Is that right. Where do those other two go to/ come from?

Hmm, seeing the back hasn't made it clearer for me. So the cable that reaches across the back into the top right grommet comes from the front, so maybe the connect is under the top of the first picture and out of view. Is that where you checked the connection? Also in the first picture there is three cables, one 6pin which goes into the motherboard and two others. Is that right. Where do those other two go to/ come from?

Sorry for the late reply ! yeah the cables coming from the top right, the brown and black one appear to be where the 120mm and 140 mm connect to then the brown and black wire goes up to the button that controls the fan speed, i cant seem to get at the fan controler thing tho to see if the wire is loose there, is there a way i could plug either of the fans directly into the psu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

after i cleaned the dust out of my pc,

Did you use a hoover?

ED E wrote: »
    Did you use a hoover?

No air compressor, and i held the fans when i cleaned them.

i got another 120 mm fan that i knew was working and plugged it into where the other fans were meant to be getting power from and still nothing, i found a way to get into the fan controller thing and it doesnt look as if the brown and black wire are loose there actually soldered on i think, i dont think the fans are broke just they arent getting power, where else could i plug em?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

maybe after your cleaning, the components are running cool enough to not need to switch the others on yet?

just a thought

Mech1 wrote: »
    maybe after your cleaning, the components are running cool enough to not need to switch the others on yet?

just a thought

would the exhaust fan and the big top fan really not turn on tho? is there any way to force them to turn on just to check if thats the case?

Ive tried using speedfan and tri-x but no luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

They would power on regardless. But they would run st slower speed of temps were good and there was built in controller reducing the speed of them.

Since you plugged in another fan and it's the same, chances are it's where they plug in is the issue. Can you take a pic of where they connect and we can tell you if they can be disconnected and plugged in elsewhere

They would power on regardless. But they would run st slower speed of temps were good and there was built in controller reducing the speed of them.

Since you plugged in another fan and it's the same, chances are it's where they plug in is the issue. Can you take a pic of where they connect and we can tell you if they can be disconnected and plugged in elsewhere

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/694859/372390.jpg

Thats the back where the wires are going to, the top right wire connecting to the brown and black is the back 120mm fan then to the top left of the mother board the black wire coming down to the brown and black wire is the top fan, they both connect to the brown and black wire that then goes to the fan controller at the top of the case, im guessing thats the prob ? could i just disconnect them both from the brown and black wire and connect them to the mobo maybe or the psu?

Cheers for the help by the way lads!

i have it sust! plugged the big top fan onto the mother board and its working away def the case fan controller thats ****ed or maybe the wire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Sounds like the fan controller that they plug into. Plugging into the motherboard is standard for most people unless you have a fan controller or an adapter that plugs into a power supply connector.

Either way is good.

Advertisement