Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation Jobs Opportunities in Ireland

Options
  • 21-12-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey there,

I've got a pretty solid question up here - what's the current situation with jobs in Ireland for for international candidates? I'm 26 and i come from Russian Federation and got a pretty solid ~7-years-experience in aviation, from cargo to private jets, but unfortunately don't have a relevant education.

Having studied job-related websites for a while i assume that there are almost no possibilities for a non-Irish guy with a non-related education (actually, i got a degree in foreign languages). Another option - try it as F/A in Aer Lingus or Ryanair, but they require an interview in present. Would be a pity to travel abroad and hear a "Goodbye", if you know what i mean.

So, please, give an advice! Thanks in advance. And only Ireland. Have been travelling to many places Worldwide - didn't enjoy any country this much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

do you actually have the right to live/work in EU? If you don't have the relevant education I don't see how you could get a work permit with a Russian passport without securing a Job offer.. at the same time, I don't see how you could secure a job offer without having a permit to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Omtra

martinsvi wrote: »
    do you actually have the right to live/work in EU? If you don't have the relevant education I don't see how you could get a work permit with a Russian passport without securing a Job offer.. at the same time, I don't see how you could secure a job offer without having a permit to work.

Well if i had a right to live/work in EU i wouldn't ask :)
    The question is - where to dig to get a proper aviation job offer, which would also provide a temporary permit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Omtra wrote: »
    The question is - where to dig to get a proper aviation job offer, which would also provide a temporary permit

To be crew for an Irish airline you must hold an EU passport as far as I'm aware.
    The best place to look for aviation jobs would be the airlines websites and also the cargo agents or handling companies that are based in Ireland .
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I'm 26 and i come from Russian Federation and got a pretty solid ~7-years-experience in aviation, from cargo to private jets, but unfortunately don't have a relevant education.
    OK so you have 7 years experience in aviation.
    You have good references from your employers detailing your job experience?

So exactly, what type of jobs do you wish to apply for?

I'm sorry, I can't see this happening for you. Employers don't get to decide who to give permit to, its the authorities and before they make any decision they need to make sure that there aren't any locals available to do the job. Because you don't mention this, I assume you are not certified to work on any specific engines, avionics or anything else, so basically you have nothing to back up your experience and you are as desirable to airline industry as any Irish kid coming out of school. No one will give you a permit. Period

Generally the only way that seems to work nowadays is you need to enrol into a university. If accepted, they may issue you a student visa which then allows you to work part time. After your graduation company may ask the authorities to issue you a full visa. I'm not too sure about the exact details but my company has recruited a few talented foreigners this way, but I'm in the IT industry which is in huge demand for skilled individuals. Aviation industry in Ireland, if we look at the engineering side of things is not in the same position and there seems to be no shortage of local manpower

As for people with airside acess - be it flight crew or bagage handlers and anything in between, it's EU folk only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Try contact Eirtech Aviation in Dublin Airport Hangar 3. Their night crew and some day staff are mostly Russian nationals, its only management and up that are Irish, they might be able to offer you some type of employment or offer advice

billie1b wrote: »
    Try contact Eirtech Aviation in Dublin Airport Hangar 3. Their night crew and some day staff are mostly Russian nationals, its only management and up that are Irish, they might be able to offer you some type of employment or offer advice

Russian nationals or Russians with Bulgarian/Romanian passports? We had a few Russians with passports from all over EU, I guess if OP has any roots anywhere in EU, that's worth exploring

Advertisement