Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien Duff retires

• 21-12-2015 6:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Damien Duff has retired. He has released a statement through Shamrock Rovers website. A top class player and an Irish legend. How we could do with Duffer in his prime right now!

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4129-duffer-retires

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will always remember going hoarse screaming at the TV over and over and over again "Give the fcuking ball to Duff" for the entire 2002 World Cup when we were playing.

Great memories.

Thanks Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

One of the best wingers in his prime. Great career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

"Damien is Damien. When I don't put him in the squad my mother, who's 84, asks 'why isn't Damien playing?' She kills me about it and that's true" – Ranieri revealing that his mother’s favourite player is none other than Damian Duff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I will always remember going hoarse screaming at the TV over and over and over again "Give the fcuking ball to Duff" for the entire 2002 World Cup when we were playing.

Great memories.

Thanks Damien.

He was one of the most exciting players at that world cup. Something you could never usually say about an Irish player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Coat22 wrote: »
    "Damien is Damien. When I don't put him in the squad my mother, who's 84, asks 'why isn't Damien playing?' She kills me about it and that's true" – Ranieri revealing that his mother’s favourite player is none other than Damian Duff.

Haha. I was gonna post that. Best quote ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Saw him twice with Rovers last season and he didn't look great, not surprised he called it a day.

Technically one of the best players Ireland has produced, at his peak with Chelsea he was one of the best players in the EPL. The fact that Ireland achieved so little after 2002 with the likes of Keane, Duff and Given in their prime is a travesty.

Injuries took their toll on him but he managed to carve out a decent career after leaving Chelsea. From what I've heard he's been quite sensible with his money so I'm sure he'll have a comfortable retirement. Good luck to him in whatever he decided to do next (even if he did play for Rovers).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Have good memories of Duffer during his time with Chelsea, never the most prolific player but on his day was a joy to watch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Great servant to Irish Football, What injury ended it for me? OR was it just a tired body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What a fantastic player and true gent.
    Always seemed blighted with injuries though.
    Seems to hold back on taking on players after some of his injuries... probably more preventative than anything?
    Will never forget the atmosphere in old Lansdowne whenever the ball was passed to him out on the left wing. The place would hush for a second and then buzz, as if a magician was about to perform...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lad must be 34 by now.

Outstanding career.

A genuine pleasure to watch in the EPL.

He's delivered for Ireland time and time again for Ireland, if it wasn't goals and assists it was clever use of the ball and winning pressure relieving free kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Fantastic player for Ireland.
    Had the pleasure of seeing him play at the showgrounds this season and the match programme will be treasured.
    Pity I won't get to see him next year. His best days were certainly behind him but just to remember how good he was, was reason enough to go and watch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Enjoy it duffer, the last irish to get u up of ur seat EVERY time he got the ball

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

noodler wrote: »
    Lad must be 34 by now.

Outstanding career.

A genuine pleasure to watch in the EPL.

He's delivered for Ireland time and time again for Ireland, if it wasn't goals and assists it was clever use of the ball and winning pressure relieving free kicks.

He must be more than that he's been around for nearly 20 years.

A top player but never really filled his potential he showed in his early 20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Duff will be 37 in march. Quitting at the right time. Great player for Ireland and should be more than comfortable financially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Duff at Chelsea was stuff of hero status.
    Great player for Ireland too.
    H'on the Duffer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

One of my Favourite players to wear the Green Jersey, outstanding servant for Ireland, couldnt even bring meself to slag him off in the last Dublin Derby in Tallaght :D

Great Career!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

My favourite player to watch playing for Ireland, even when he was past his best he was still great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭tfer

He was one of my favourite players to watch racing up the wing of any pitch in the the world, he would always put you thinking, " this is it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Great servant to the national team. That goal he scored vs Barcelona for Chelsea sticks in my mind for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Fantastic pro and along with Robbie Keane the most exciting players we've had for years. I worry it'll be a while before we see their likes again.

It was sad to see him playing last year. He really underestimated the standard of LOI and was miles off the pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

One of the best, and also one of my favourite Irish players ever.

Retiring at the right time really. He's right, when your body tells you to, it's the best thing to do, hanging up the boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One of my favourite players for Ireland. I'll always remember with fondness his performance against Spain in '02 when he ran their defenders ragged.

I wish him all the best for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Great player. Had to pleasure of watching him on a very regular basis at club level and he never failed to perform. Chelsea fans adore him, Fulham fans adore him and the Blackburn fans I have met adore him. Says it all really. Enjoy your retirement Damien. Hope to see you back at the cottage some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I remember thinking Ireland could maybe win a World Cup some day when he, Robbie and Liam George were winning underage stuff with Brian Kerr.

We were robbed in 2002.

Thanks for the great memories Duffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

An Irish legend, one of the best players I've ever seen in a green jersey. Was very happy to see him come back to the LoI too last season, hopefully he goes on to have a successful coaching career. Will never forget his celebration after scoring against Saudi Arabia in the 2002 world cup, that was re-enacted hundreds of times in the schoolyard afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

Duff was one of my favourite players to watch when I was growing up, one of few Chelsea players I ever liked!

A great player in his prime and his retirement takes me back to my days at the FAI summer camps where he was viewed as a god and we would spend hours trying to emulate him. Thanks for the memories Damo.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Korat wrote: »
    I remember thinking Ireland could maybe win a World Cup some day when he, Robbie and Liam George were winning underage stuff with Brian Kerr.

We were robbed in 2002.

Thanks for the great memories Duffer.

Not strictly true :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great player and, by all accounts, a sound man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not the biggest surprise given the sendoff he got in the final game and struggled in some games, but a great player in his day and a pleasure to have seen him at Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He was such a clever player and that kept him around as an asset at the top level for so long after his bit of pace had gone. He made great decisions with the ball and no - one was better at drawing a foul. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Like Steven Gerrard I remember the first time I ever saw him play. At the 1997 under 20's when Ireland finished third, youngest player in the squad and was just on a different level to any of the rest of our players.

Slightly sad that his time at rovers was such a non event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

For me, his best days were at Blackburn. He started going down very easy under Jose. For Ireland, he never got enough games out left but was still amazing on the right.

His ability to get passed players was amazing. We were spoiled with that 2002 world cup squad when you think of it.

Why isn't Kerr back at Irish Youth levels giving us more Duffers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One of the best players to ever wear a green jersey. It's a shame that the likes of McClean or Brady just weren't fit to lace his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

One of the best ..... take a bow Mr Duff

article-0-0051DEC900000258-231_468x366.jpg

LeBash wrote: »
    We were spoiled with that 2002 world cup squad when you think of it.

We had 3 stand outs, Duff, Given and Keane.

Some players playing at the top end of the EPL, Finnan, Kelly and Harte.

Not as good as the players a decade before...but definitely stronger than the current bunch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement