Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the Teaching Council deliberately deceive teachers into paying them €500+?

Options
  • 21-12-2015 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

The Teaching Council, that dreaded QUANGO despised by most teachers, apparently (according to the Sunday Times) deceived teachers into paying them annual fees of €90 annually by telling them they would be de-registered (and hence not paid) between the years 2007-13.

The article claims that whilst the TC was entitled to charge a fee there was "no legal obligation for teachers to pay it" until re-enactment of Section 30 of the Teaching Council Act

The article actually claims that this was from 2008-13 but teachers have been charged €90 annually (now €65) to register and keep their name on a list.

The Teaching Council will not be refunding teachers who paid it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

dept and schools were looking for yer TC number though too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The glorious Teaching Council - what does it do?

I still believe an even half competent lawyer could challenge the constitutionality of refusing to pay someone who was qualified to do work, asked to do work and successfully and satisfactorily completed that work, because they did not pay a registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

There is a template of a letter demanding a refund online at https://voiceforteachersblog.wordpress.com/author/voiceforteacher/

I know of several schools in my local area who have already sent them to Maynooth today. They each signed a letter and gave it to a designated person who sent them off in one envelope. We are going to do it in my school tomorrow. Even the Teaching Council cannot ignore thousands of letters demanding the same thing! The amounts of money involved potentially run to several hundred euro per teacher, so it is in the interest of every teacher who paid all those years to demand it back. For me, the Teaching Council has lost any semblance of credibility it had left. How can a body (who deceived, nay forced, intimidated thousands of hard-working teachers into paying a fee that they were not legally obliged to until last year), be trusted to regulated a profession????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Weren't the ETBs/VECs demanding the ref number tho?

Advertisement