Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 hour stopover in Boston

Options
  • 21-12-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So myself and himself will be in New York for a week and we' re due to fly back on the 7th Of January which includes a stopover in Logan Airport for seven hours. We would love to see even just a little bit of Boston but would we be cutting it very fine? Is Logan airport very far out from the city? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

pookiesboo wrote: »
    So myself and himself will be in New York for a week and we' re due to fly back on the 7th Of January which includes a stopover in Logan Airport for seven hours. We would love to see even just a little bit of Boston but would we be cutting it very fine? Is Logan airport very far out from the city? Thanks in advance

It is very close. I havent been in the city in 15 years but I remember the T metro was closed on the line to the airport so I had to get a bus. I remember it was straightforward but had to allow more time due to the bus. I would see about how your bags will be affected if you leave the airport. I am not sure whether you will be allowed to leave them airside if you depart to the city. Look up the T. Downtown Crossing I think may be the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

McSween wrote: »
    I would see about how your bags will be affected if you leave the airport. I am not sure whether you will be allowed to leave them airside if you depart to the city. Look up the T. Downtown Crossing I think may be the centre.

If they have the boarding passes for the next flight and the bags are booked through , there'll be no problems leaving the airport (walking past baggage claim and out the door). Simply go through security on the way back in and there will be no questions asked - it's perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

is that 7 hours from wheels down to wheels up? Weather in Boston in January can be frightful so allow for delays and remember that transatlantic flights start boarding 1 hour prior to departure.

but to answer your initial question, if your bags are tagged straight through there is no issue leaving the airport.

Boston downtown is only 10 minutes from Logan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I stand corrected. Good to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Yup you'll have plenty of time as long as your bags are already booked through, was flying home via Boston last week and had an 8-hour layover, bus into town took 15mins max. Had a nice 4-5 hours ish in Boston and came back with plenty of time to spare. We used the silver line when traveling to and from the airport and it was ideal, picks you up right from the terminal and drops you there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Plenty of time To get into town, but if you have the cash, a taxi would be the way to go. Theres 5 terminals at the airport and the silver line stops at each one (its a bus not a train) If youre trying to get back to the airport at rush hour, or if the airport is busy, it could be a nightmare.

Pick one or 2 things to see...nothing to see at Downtown Crossing, but Beacon Hill and the Boston Garden right next to it are spectacular. Id take a stroll around Beacon Hill and the State House, stop in for lunch somewhere then skip over to the Boston Garden

Advertisement