Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Arklow a nice place to live?

• 21-12-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

HI: I'm thinking of moving and saw some ads for properties in Arklow. Is it a good town to live in and are there areas which should not be considered? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

Where do you work, or hope to work? What kind of home are you looking for, like do you have kids or are you looking for a place for yourself? There are many things to consider!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Where do you work, or hope to work? What kind of home are you looking for, like do you have kids or are you looking for a place for yourself? There are many things to consider!

I'm seeking a 2 bedroom house and I'm retiring within the year. My children are all adults and are not living with me - I'm a widower and living alone. I would like to find a place which is in an owner occupied area, and where the residents are employed, or retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Worked around Arklow for many years and still have family there so I visit it often. As a visitor the biggest drawback I see for the town is how visually run down the main street has become. It's caught between the 2 shopping hubs on the Gorey Road and on Ferrybank. It's a real shame, though the new library at least brightens up part of it.
    That said, thanks to the shopping centres there is a buzz of traffic and movement around the place. With the newly opened parts of the M11 access to Dublin etc is good. The trains are not too frequent but the bus service is good. Otherwise it has all of the facilities you'd expect in a medium sized down.
    House wise - I'd say 2 bedroom houses are in shortish supply but if I had to live in the town I'd choose Templerainey/Ferrybank or the opposite end at Lamberton/Coolgreaney road. Avoid the South Green or older areas near the harbour if you can - flooding is definitely an issue.

Get back if you have any questions.

Thanks Lottpaul for the good advice. Happy Christmas to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

The North side of the town sounds better suited to your requirements. Anywhere around Templerainey Heights/Park, the Sea Road estates (The Pines or Mountain Bay) or Seaview Avenue. These are mature owner occupied areas. They are all close to a large well maintained public park where the beach used to be. Also walking distance from bus stops, shopping center, supermarkets, swimming pools, leisure center, cinemas, cafes etc.

As lottpaul said main street was hit hard during the downturn, but its starting to recover. A number of new businesses have opened up there in the past few months, with more on the way.

Like many towns within commuting distance of Dublin there has been an influx of people to the area in recent years. Most that I know are very happy with their decision to move there and are community minded and are involved with local clubs etc.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I'm seeking a 2 bedroom house and I'm retiring within the year. My children are all adults and are not living with me - I'm a widower and living alone. I would like to find a place which is in an owner occupied area, and where the residents are employed, or retired.

Just wondered if you made the move and how it worked out?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Just wondered if you made the move and how it worked out?

Hi Zelda. No there's been a change in circumstances and I've had to put off the move for at least another year.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Hi Zelda. No there's been a change in circumstances and I've had to put off the move for at least another year.:(

Ah that's a shame, good luck with whatever you decide.

Advertisement