Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Holiday Home June 2016 / rally weekend Donegal

Options
  • 21-12-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi Nice People of Donegal!

Looking for some recommendations for nice holiday home locations to rent in June 2106 for our Family holiday.

Duration: 1 week
    People: 2 Adults, 1 Child
    Must be pet friendly (1 small house dog)

Thanks in advance for your kind advice / suggestions :)

Lazybones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Age of child?

Your interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

NIMAN wrote: »
    Age of child?

Your interests?

Hi NIMAN,

5 year old boy.

Likes swimming, playgrounds and having fun :D

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Maybe somewhere like Rathmullan or Portsalon or Downings maybe.

Beautiful scenery, beaches etc in the good weather, but close enough to Letterkenny with it's swimming pool, play centres etc. if it's raining.

Technique wrote: »
    Maybe somewhere like Rathmullan or Portsalon or Downings maybe.

Beautiful scenery, beaches etc in the good weather, but close enough to Letterkenny with it's swimming pool, play centres etc. if it's raining.

Thanks Technique for your advice - much appreciated.

It's great to get some local knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I live in North Inishowen, and there are plenty of things to do around the vicinity, especially if you will be driving.

Around Culdaff you have a great beach for kids (blue flag). Also beaches in Malin Head, or Lisfannon near Buncrana. Buncrana also has a good outdoor play park for his age.
    Horse riding available in Malin and Tullagh Bay, which also has a blue flag beach.

There is also one of those little indoor climbing places in Carndonagh, and it too has an outdoor play park.

Redcastle has Leisureland, an indoor play centre with all the usual rides, ball pools, shooting galleries, arcade machines, indoor adventure centre etc. I think it charges €10 for unlimited use of all facilities for the space of 2 hrs. Might stand corrected on this.

Also some nice facilities around Moville/Greencastle area.

Add to this, all these locations are close to Derry City, which would offer you an even greater choice of things to do.

Also mentioned above, you could locate close to Letterkenny, plenty to do there for the kids.

Kerrykeel also have a highly reviewed holiday and adventure park called Rockhill, alhtough your little man might be too young for it.

If you need any more info, gimme a shout.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I live in North Inishowen, and there are plenty of things to do around the vicinity, especially if you will be driving.

Around Culdaff you have a great beach for kids (blue flag). Also beaches in Malin Head, or Lisfannon near Buncrana. Buncrana also has a good outdoor play park for his age.
    Horse riding available in Malin and Tullagh Bay, which also has a blue flag beach.

There is also one of those little indoor climbing places in Carndonagh, and it too has an outdoor play park.

Redcastle has Leisureland, an indoor play centre with all the usual rides, ball pools, shooting galleries, arcade machines, indoor adventure centre etc. I think it charges €10 for unlimited use of all facilities for the space of 2 hrs. Might stand corrected on this.

Also some nice facilities around Moville/Greencastle area.

Add to this, all these locations are close to Derry City, which would offer you an even greater choice of things to do.

Also mentioned above, you could locate close to Letterkenny, plenty to do there for the kids.

Kerrykeel also have a highly reviewed holiday and adventure park called Rockhill, alhtough your little man might be too young for it.

If you need any more info, gimme a shout.

Hi NIMAN,

Fantastic information there - thanks for all the pointers.

We are really looking forward to our trip already!

Happy Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

I'm from this area so I'm slightly bias but Carrigart/Downings is just beautiful. These holiday homes are very new and are literally a 2 minute walk from the beach. There is a new bar and restaurant open, literally a one minute walk away. There are so many activities to do right on your doorstop. Highly recommend! I can't post the link but look up Cuan Na Rí, Carrigart. Beautiful spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi Guys just wondering the same as above looking for accommodation for the rally 17 june - 20th I have tried nearly every b &b holiday home all booked out is there any villages/ towns closby to Letterkenny i could try thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi Guys just wondering the same as above looking for accommodation for the rally 17 june - 20th I have tried nearly every b &b holiday home all booked out is there any villages/ towns closby to Letterkenny i could try thank you
    You would be very lucky to get booked in anywhere in Letterkenny or within a couple or few miles of it unless you fancy camping out which is popular but only if the weather is good.

get a map of Donegal and pinpoint letterkenny and then google towns and villages within whatever radius you are prepared to travel. Towns and villages that would be within 4 or 5 miles of Letterkenny are the likes of Termon, Kilmacrennan, Ramelton, Rathmullan, Churchill, Manorcunningham.

Going a bit further afield maybe 10 - 15 miles away (but all on or very close to the main roads into Letterkenny you would have places Like Lifford, Raphoe, Ballybofey, Stranorlar, Newtoncunningham, etc. On a normal day a 12 - 15 minute drive from these places but with the traffic associated with the rally you could expect to double that time especially with the delays into and around Letterkenny.

Great thanks Iv tried some surrounding areas but nothing I havnt been to Letterkenny before so should wanted to know some nearby areas etc and the distances thanks for the reply il google some nearby places today thanks

• Advertisement

revoke12 wrote: »
    Great thanks Iv tried some surrounding areas but nothing I havnt been to Letterkenny before so should wanted to know some nearby areas etc and the distances thanks for the reply il google some nearby places today thanks
    This map will give you an idea of the different places. Just use the mouse wheel to zoom in / out and click on the "pan" button on the right side menu to move map around.

You will see the national primary roads marked in green so while those may be the busiest they are also the fastest to get to the town. To give you an idea of distance Lifford which is to the south east is about 17 miles from Letterkenny while Ballybofey and Stranorlar (to south west) are about 13 - 14 miles.

The N56 to the North isnt a great road and likewise the N14 to Lifford is a bit hit and miss. The N13 to ballybofey is reasonably good for driving.

Thats great thanks for all the info I will look this up now.

Left it late maybe Il know next year to book alot earlier its crazy the amount its booked up

There's always a chance that one of the regulars here may know of somewhere that could provide accommodation. And of course the advantage with ringing around various B&B's also is that you may be able to pick up other names and/or phone numbers.

I have phoned about 15 b&bs and nothing about 2 or 3 passed on phone numbers of different others that might have acc but still no luck Iv tried self catering and that seems be all booked aswell but im hoping now something will come up within the next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aidan145

<mod snip>

Aidan145, this is a discussion forum and not a free advertising site. Please read the Terms of Use you agreed to when you signed up and abide by same prior to posting again should you choose to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Left to very last minute, just wondering anyone where anywhere near letterkenny like a house or a hotel or a b&b at a reasonable rate thats still available to book, we decided to surprise one of the guys for his 21st birthday. Anywhere in reasonable distance in letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Buy a tent bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Joshua J wrote: »
    Buy a tent bud.

Very funny, Serious though, even 30 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Very funny, Serious though, even 30 mins away.
    I was being serious.

Threads merged & re-titled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Normally plenty of rally goers staying in the Villa Rose, Jacksons or Kees hotel in Ballybofey/Stranorlar area. Around a 15 minute drive to Letterkenny. Theres a few B&B's in the area too - Dreenan Lodge, Roseville House are the only two off the top of my head but they might be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 James cushnan

try Kerrykeel, 20 min north of Letterkenny here 0860624891 a house in Kerrykeel its on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Joshua J wrote: »
    Buy a tent bud.

Just seen that the GAA pitch in the town will open to campers.

<mod snip>

Camping is definitely a viable option. Just make sure you have all the gear, etc with you !!

salonfire, please have a quick read at the forum charter. I've removed the link you posted but feel free to post a link to any other publication or source. Thanks :)

Advertisement