Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will 1916 commemorations open up old wounds between Ireland and the brits?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Bambi wrote: »
    Of course the British never really considered Ireland to be a proper part of the the whole kingdomy set up, much like norn iron now.

Yeah quite accurate the Brits never truly felt connected to us. The King was the only real link between us and them. The Royalists were opposed to parliament taking more power from the sovereign in the 17th century. The English Republican once enjoyed more support than ever in Britain and even across the sea in the Netherlands.

Our relationship with the Sovereign was benevolent. If he tried to kill us Henry the VIII and Elisabeth we hated them but if they were Catholic Mary the Bloody or James we fell in love with them. It was an unhealthy relationship that was bad for both of us. Our histories are intertwined though. The English suffered under these tyrants as badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    And no, the French and Belgians and the rest doing it doesn't make it ok.

It's context though. If you were European, you were in an empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Our relationship with the Sovereign was benevolent..

I take it you meant ambivalent :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I'm going to get an armed group together to invade your country and take it from you. I will plant colonists across your country and banish you and your kind to the least productive areas of the island. You will have to live under my rules, accept that I am superior to you and accept that your impoverishment is the result of your laziness and not my theft of your land and resources. During my rule, many of you will die as a result of your impoverishment and the desperate living conditions you live in. I will make some token efforts to help you, but I will allow over a million of you to starve to death. If you complain about this, it will simply confirm my view that you are too lazy and unintelligent to be considered fully human. If you resist in any way, I will use violent suppression, including mass killing if I deem it necessary. If you resist me using violence I will counter with greater violence, including killing non-combatants and destruction of civilian property. I will forever condemn you as a terrorist for using violent resistance against my rule. Happy Christmas! :D

And they should be eternally grateful to you and apologise for being an annoyance to you great overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

I'm going to get an armed group together to invade your country and take it from you. I will plant colonists across your country and banish you and your kind to the least productive areas of the island. You will have to live under my rules, accept that I am superior to you and accept that your impoverishment is the result of your laziness and not my theft of your land and resources. During my rule, many of you will die as a result of your impoverishment and the desperate living conditions you live in. I will make some token efforts to help you, but I will allow over a million of you to starve to death. If you complain about this, it will simply confirm my view that you are too lazy and unintelligent to be considered fully human. If you resist in any way, I will use violent suppression, including mass killing if I deem it necessary. If you resist me using violence I will counter with greater violence, including killing non-combatants and destruction of civilian property. I will forever condemn you as a terrorist for using violent resistance against my rule. Happy Christmas! :D
    LOL. If you must have read the IRA green book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Yeah quite accurate the Brits never truly felt connected to us. The King was the only real link between us and them. The Royalists were opposed to parliament taking more power from the sovereign in the 17th century. The English Republican once enjoyed more support than ever in Britain and even across the sea in the Netherlands.

Our relationship with the Sovereign was benevolent. If he tried to kill us Henry the VIII and Elisabeth we hated them but if they were Catholic Mary the Bloody or James we fell in love with them. It was an unhealthy relationship that was bad for both of us. Our histories are intertwined though. The English suffered under these tyrants as badly.

I thought they called Dublin the second city of the empire at one stage!?
    See below:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_city_of_the_United_Kingdom
    Your view seems revisionist. Whether we like it or not prior and during 1916 most Irish people were happy being British citizens. It was only after the executions that public opinion was changed. By then even home rule was no longer enough.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement