Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will 1916 commemorations open up old wounds between Ireland and the brits?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

dubscottie wrote: »
    Keep seeing folks here saying "The Brits" invaded Australia,New Zealand, North America etc..

If it was not for the "Brits", none of your friends would be out there making mega bucks and giving you all the wonderful stories on Facebook..

And in the UK people still think Irish = IRA thanks to the actions of a small minority of arseholes in the 70's & 80's.
    I remember my first beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Giant statues of Wellington and Nelson being erected for heritage week I hear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No, commemorating the centenary of the 1916 Rising will not antagonise our relationship with the UK. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago, but not now. Anglo-Irish relations have never been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ahhhhhh, so all those wars that your Imperial Army started were really just to civilise the natives and we should be grateful that 'the Brits' chose to invade us.

The murder of millions never sounded so good.

May I humbly suggest you go read history book, a good one, not the Sinn Fein manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

May I humbly suggest you go read history book, a good one, not the Sinn Fein manual.

Thank you, I hope to continue to read and learn. Education is a lifelong pursuit.

I'm not a Sinn Féiner mo chara. I don't even know if they produce manuals?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Keep seeing folks here saying "The Brits" invaded Australia,New Zealand, North America etc..

If it was not for the "Brits", none of your friends would be out there making mega bucks and giving you all the wonderful stories on Facebook..

Yeah, and the natives of Tasmania wouldn't have been exterminated either.

But shure, isn't that a small price to pay for all those mega-bucks and the Facebook craic? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

"Easter 1916 is part of the State's founding myth. As with any myth it deserves respect. But, for the sake of our democracy, that respect is best offered from a healthy intellectual distance." IRISH INDEPENDENT 2014

I agree and would prefer if we were mature enough to put 1916 commemoration at a long distance.

My view is that it was unnecessary, unpopular and an abject failure by a few to impose their warped agenda of grabbing Ulster upon all of us by violent means. Remember that Home Rule was already in the bag two years earlier. That is the fact. But it will be rewritten. Just watch. That is what they do.

Next year, I fear that the risk is great that a blinkered minority (you know who you are) will twist our history with ungracious celebrations of inglorious failure and use this sad chapter for some sort of self promoting triumphalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And in the UK people still think Irish = IRA thanks to the actions of a small minority of arseholes in the 70's & 80's.

The british electorate are'nt a small minority :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

through family and upbringing I have a fair idea on both cultures.

re the commemorations, it does not feature at all in the minds of British people
    since the mid 90s and ceasefires,Irish are accepted and have assimilated over there. .

They really have no interest in Ireland politically , you might say" they are just not that in to you!"
    they are more concerned with EU,Islam and ,scot independence issues.

Even If 90 minute republicans are singing "stand up if you hate England" in bars in France in June,,they still wouldn't care.For football they are more likely to be anti scot and rugby anti welsh.

The one thing I would say is many still think that "paddy is a a bit thick"

.I heard many a brit say well what did you expect when the celtic tiger crashed! I knew they would mess it up... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do other countries engage in this kind of hair shirt wearing when celebrating their own foundation narratives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Calling the 1916 resistance fighters 'terrorists' would be analogous to describing the WWII French Resistance fighters 'terrorists' for wanting to defeat the Nazis.

Irish Unionists, cap-doffers, and sycophants play the part of the Vichy collaborator and are enemies of independence and self-determination - losers on the wrong side of history ultimately.
    When have Irish Republicans been anything but losers in history? Even going back to 1798 to the present day, you have perfected the art in losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Do other countries engage in this kind of hair shirt wearing when celebrating their own foundation narratives?

Not that I know of. You certainly couldn't make a journalistic career out of it unlike here where members of our 5th column can/could.

When have Irish Republicans been anything but losers in history? Even going back to 1798 to the present day, you have perfected the art in losing.

This is really funny coming from someone named 'Orangebrigade'. You're still celebrating hundreds-year-old battles and are squeezed into the north east corner of Ireland where the British can forget about ye. You lost your sectarian state and now have to sit with Sinn Fein in government whether you like it or not.

Also, Irish Republicans successfully booted the British out of the majority of the island and inspired others across the globe to rise up against their colonial abusers. In more recent times Republicans had the British army flying their rubbish out of their bases by helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thank you, I hope to continue to read and learn. Education is a lifelong pursuit.

I'm not a Sinn Féiner mo chara. I don't even know if they produce manuals?

while you're reading, have a look at the poem Macavity the Mystery Cat.

Poor Fred tends to think sinn fein are a bit like that cat :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

It's a bit unfair to say "countries" here. boards is massively over represented (at all levels) by imperial overlord nostalgia merchants. The general public? Not so much.

There is a republic called Ireland.
    Which part of this isn't a humiliating defeat for her Majesty's "sun never sets" empire lovers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

JupiterKid wrote: »
    No, commemorating the centenary of the 1916 Rising will not antagonise our relationship with the UK. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago, but not now. Anglo-Irish relations have never been better.

It will antagonise a lot of Irish people.

It will antagonise a lot of Irish people.
    Even mentioning Irish independence in any fashion is enough to do that with some people!
    Not sure about "a lot" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am very disappointed with the ambivalent/could not care less attitude of people on this thread to 1916 in general. Granted they may not be into history but whether we like it or not it had a massive part in forming the country we live in.

This denial of history, reminds me of the time during the last Presidential debates. A young woman with rounded Dublin vowels asked Martin McGuinness why he was down here because is from a "foreign country" and he has nothing to do with this country.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bambi wrote: »
    while you're reading, have a look at the poem Macavity the Mystery Cat.

Poor Fred tends to think sinn fein are a bit like that cat :D

Was Macavity a " Good Republican"?

• Advertisement

A young woman with rounded Dublin vowels

She was either very dim-witted or a troll considering Mary McALeese from Belfast had served as president for the 14 years before MMcG stood for election.

This is really funny coming from someone named 'Orangebrigade'. You're still celebrating hundreds-year-old battles and are squeezed into the north east corner of Ireland where the British can forget about ye. You lost your sectarian state and now have to sit with Sinn Fein in government whether you like it or not.

Also, Irish Republicans successfully booted the British out of the majority of the island and inspired others across the globe to rise up against their colonial abusers. In more recent times Republicans had the British army flying their rubbish out of their bases by helicopter.
    Sinn Fein get paid by the likes of me to run the British state which is part of the United Kingdom.

And we won the Battle of the Boyne, a victory. A very rare find in Republican history.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Which part of this isn't a humiliating defeat for her Majesty's "sun never sets" empire lovers?
    Many Irish Republicans will not see it that way. That is why it is brilliant. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

None of it to be honest. Irish independence was granted by Parliament. Even then the currency was tied to the pound for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No but it might open up old between us Irish.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    None of it to be honest. Irish independence was granted by Parliament. Even then the currency was tied to the pound for decades.
    Ah right, so the Queen graciously gave us a little present of independence after all her most welcome hard work civilizing us savages. Nothing to do with the war of Independence, just a coincidence.

Many Irish Republicans will not see it that way. That is why it is brilliant. :pac:
    So because some might think a 26 county republic isn't a complete victory, you think everybody's upset about what we have?
    Less upset about the outcome than you are. Brilliant.

Ah right, so the Queen graciously gave us a little present of independence after all her most welcome hard work civilizing us savages. Nothing to do with the war of Independence, just a coincidence.

The Queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Irish independence was accepted by parliament. It was a fait accumpli.

• Advertisement

The Queen?
    The crown. Whatever. Point scoring irrelevance noted.

Advertisement