Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NE Facing Garden - Can anything be done?

• 21-12-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi,

New to this so not too sure where to post this. Please move if needed.

Looking at a house with a 80ish ft NE facing back garden. I understand that this is one of the worst orientations a house can be. To the east of it is a house and it's trees as shown in the screenshot attached.

I have used the suncalc tool and findmyshadow to try and gain some sort of understanding of where the sun will land on various parts of the day at various times of the year. It doesnt look good.

I had planned to put a kitchen extension on at the back with skylights but am wondering would it be better to put it on the side (and maybe wrap around to the back if the money is there).

But this leaves the house to the side blocking easterly light at some stage of the day Im guessing. The garden is long enough to have light at the end of the garden when the sun wraps around in the summer from the southerly direction.

Its a 3 bed semi with garage, 2 storey, approximately 9m site in width. Not sure what the height is but its a 1950s house in Dublin.

Is this site doomed or can something be done in term of light in the kitchen and making the garden pleasant?

Thanks in advance

Screen_Shot_2015_12_21_at_22_02_46.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get your new neighbour to take down his trees

Or re-orientate the internal main rooms to the front(southwest), building on a small sunroom/ porch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Thanks for the suggestions.

Besides those 2 are there any ideas of architectural design that could be done especially to the kitchen extension to rear or side? Is NE the worst orientation you can get? Even with NW you can capture the summer evening sun.

The house is in need of total renovation and reconfiguration. It's going to cost an estimate of 70K+ to do. I just dont want to be left with something that just doesn't work after spending all that money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Bring an Arch to view it and discuss options like angled skylights/glazed tilted roof, re-arranging internal spaces, suitable expansion locations to suit your orientation.

I was thinking of that alright but I fear it will all be in vain as the neighbour refuses to cut the trees. The house needs a lot of work and is asking enough as it is but the location is perfect. I'll just have to weigh up and see if it's worth the money and hassle. Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

First up, don't get carried way with the Irish weather and sitting out in the garden, even in Dublin.

While south facing blah blah back is much touted its not be bee all and end all
    If u are gutting it, and I don't think 70k will do it, perhaps move the living areas up stairs, maybe get planning for velux windows down into upper rooms and sleep down stairs and maybe get a two story ext out back.

are trees on boundary or adjacent to boundary?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input. The trees are at the boundary so they do overhang and could be cut. Interesting point about moving living areas upstairs. I'm starting to think I don't have the budget for such a complicated project unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

More than lightly this will not help but just in case u are doing boundary work.
    The key point is that as long as u comply, neighbours consent not required for certain work
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/section/43/enacted/en/html

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a read.

Advertisement