Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2016 - yay or nay??

Options
  • 21-12-2015 11:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

so, do people still want one? interest in this years trailed off late in the season.

if the answer is yes:

any changes people want to see?
    any ideas on how we could improve it/keep the interest level up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Id like to keep it if possible, my numbers have dropped off but not my interested, moreso due to injury.

Don't mind if we don't change much as just clear the data to refreshed make life easier for you but I'm open to changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If there was some way to link the training log posts to the chart so it updates the SBR data automatically, then I'd be all over it. :D I am one of the ones who loses interest, but that loss of interest is purely due to the time it takes for me to update my numbers after I'd poured my heart and soul ;) into my own training log. If we could just streamline this bad boy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd like it again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's good motivation early on in the season...I tailed off because I was doing f all training after IM, that and I just started forgetting about it at that stage.
    But, if it's a lot of work to set up don't do it on account of a small number of us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Its great for recording data so I would be happy for it to continue as it is, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I used to update it for the past couple of years, gave up halfway through this year as its ranked by distance (and so is more applicable for those training for distance events). Found my competitive nature was taking over so I would do extra distance in training just for the sake of it. That ended up counter-productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

One of the things I was playing with for the sanity clause form was the idea of a form that would autofill the details. I ran out of time but that might be feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Same as RQ - I didn't want to shame myself with my paltry numbers post June. I will be looking to use to use it again next year especially as I am out again the same time as last year - which brings me to my next suggestion. A nice feature especially for regular users would be to perhaps click on my name and compare my training ratios with either last year or monthly

growth-progress-bar-chart-15786207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

catweazle wrote: »
    Same as RQ - I didn't want to shame myself with my paltry numbers post June. I will be looking to use to use it again next year especially as I am out again the same time as last year - which brings me to my next suggestion. A nice feature especially for regular users would be to perhaps click on my name and compare my training ratios with either last year or monthly

I don't think you need a spreadsheet to do that comparison at the moment unless you're looking to show how far off you are to Mrs CW!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

As the originator of the SBR years ago (when updating and fixing tables broke my will to live) I think it has a place. We are all fascinated by the numbers and co9mparison and goals etc..

The last time is was actually popular right to the end was when it was on the Forum. G Drive is great and all but out of sight out of mind has been the culprit of attrition the last 2 iterations, along with the usual season ending lull.

So +1 for it to remian, BUT...

Perhaps collaborate the suggestions and list them all out before a new SBR so we can see ahead of development what will actually be changed.

Overall the SBR has to be easy to manage and update which is the big +1 for Drive. However we are all undoubtedly updating several media (All media for sconhome!) and its just an additional task. This may be a reason for me to leave it for 2016.

Ideas then.

Personal goals other than races, time/dist per discipline. Race goals change anyway and some are cancelled etc..

What is it you actually want to track?
    My interested have evolved from just S-B-R so I'd add paddling/rowing, trekking/orienteering (It is a TDAR forum after all !)
    Vertical metres?

Ideally we would have more Forum engagement and banter with it too..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone using it should link it in their sig, at least.

I didnt use it this year after my year went poof! and wont in future because I cant get sucked into doing miles for miles sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I would be in support of taking it back onto the forum directly and avoiding google docs. It's not as powerful as a spreadsheet but the barrier to updating is much lower and the numbers are more in your face (and more of a motivtion). Just my 2c

EC1000 wrote: »
    I would be in support of taking it back onto the forum directly and avoiding google docs. It's not as powerful as a spreadsheet but the barrier to updating is much lower and the numbers are more in your face (and more of a motivtion). Just my 2c
    Updating google docs by phone was a pita.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Found my competitive nature was taking over so I would do extra distance in training just for the sake of it. That ended up counter-productive.
    Oryx wrote: »
    I cant get sucked into doing miles for miles sake.

Is there any fair and reasonably logical way to "equalize" the numbers to not penalize those who are training for shorter distances or at a different training level? Sort of like how the power to weight ratio works for cycling?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Is there any fair and reasonably logical way to "equalize" the numbers to not penalize those who are training for shorter distances or at a different training level? Sort of like how the power to weight ratio works for cycling?

If we did 'training to weight' ratio I'd win everything. Hands down! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    We have accountants, programmers and mathematicians in abundance here. Surely they can come up with something!

Start that balancing thing and in no time it will have to be adjusted for amount of kids, wives/husbands/partners, work hours, dogs, cars, bikes and how many mincepies they can eat in one sitting ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i've not issue with moving it back here, but let me point out the obvious.

having it here means a simple totals column. no monthly ranking, just an overall. so by february zico will be at the top of the table.the rest of the IM folk will fill the next few spots. then the rest.

the beauty of google docs monthly view was that the non im crew could see where they stood after a big week. that's now gone.

is that okay with people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

mossym wrote: »
    i've not issue with moving it back here, but let me point out the obvious.

having it here means a simple totals column. no monthly ranking, just an overall. so by february zico will be at the top of the table.the rest of the IM folk will fill the next few spots. then the rest.

the beauty of google docs monthly view was that the non im crew could see where they stood after a big week. that's now gone.

is that okay with people?

The fairest way to rank it is by straight distance (ie those such as me targeting Sprints have to accept that), and the Google Docs added more fun than a straight table on Boards, IMO. Plus, a Boards table is always getting broken... so my vote is stick with the Google Doc.

Its most useful in the first few months of the year when volume is generally more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I have a wee problem with the "overall" based on distance, should it not be time based. this (in my sleep deprived state) makes sense as it allows for variances in ability, two people run @same intensity for an hour one will do 12k and the 8k, only difference is ability.

regarding its location, google Doc's is the simplest and allows for easy updating for all.

• Advertisement

Stick with the do, the ground work is done and as Oryx suggested everyone can hotlink to the table in their sig once it goes live. That's easy to do and once the link is up the code can be posted for everyone to copy and pop in as a link, just like the ones here

below
    |
    |
    V

sconhome wrote: »
    Stick with the do, the ground work is done and as Oryx suggested everyone can hotlink to the table in their sig once it goes live. That's easy to do and once the link is up the code can be posted for everyone to copy and pop in as a link, just like the ones here

below
    |
    |
    V

Link in the post is good idea.

BM makes a point. Training time for the overall rank instead of distance? Person A may clock 1200km running in 100hrs but person B ran for 120hrs and clocked 1000km. Also might incentives everyone to do a pile of plates etc..

How about a monthly goals thread then. Call out you distance or time targets or rep or vertical km targets and check them off happily at the end of each month. To stay in the game just hit your targets each month. Minimum criteria apply etc. . Just throwing it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Like another poster said 'out of sight, out of mind'. If you go with the Google doc. again, then I predict there will be even less of an uptake than last year. Look at how well the December run streak thread has gone, and I think you'll see the advantages of going with a simple table.

A thread full of endless tables, won't make very interesting reading, but could a mod go back and delete the old tables once they have been quoted and updated?

I understand a Google doc would be a lot more straightforward, but I'm guessing mossym original asked was it worth starting the challenge again in 2016, because after an initial flurry, not too many people were bothered updating their totals this year. It generates virtually no discussion and in a discussion forum, it's worth asking is there any point to the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Personally speaking I would bin it,people stop updating after Qtr 1 and really it does not stimulate any discussion.

Personally speaking I would bin it,people stop updating after Qtr 1 and really it does not stimulate any discussion.

It worked a few years back. Lots of banter on the forum good thread etc.. But the forum is now a bit more diverse. Sameness = stale. NY resolutions are fading faster. It's also down to again, out if sight out of mind plus everyone is updating strava or a dozen other like it that you can export all of your stats etc.

G docs works but I used to have my own file separate to SBR with a lot more detail. I won't be doing either in 16 because where I log data now automatically updates and graphs numbers and gives me the export option .

That said I'd like to see more on the forum itself. A monthly challenge of sorts would be good. Simple clock 20hrs for bronze, 40 for silver and 60+ for gold (numbers just to illustrate not suggested targets). Disciplines up to you. 100% cycling if you like. It would make for a very simple table. Maybe columns to break your hours down to disciplines Not headed columns and distance not required. Again your choice.

Or

See if you can hit the bronze in multiple disciplines etc Maybe no total column. Just a column per discipline and a BSG scale like 10/15/20 So if you only cycled 70hrs you only collect 1 gold. But if you ran 20hr biked 10hr swam 10hr and did 10hr core you collect a gold, silver and 2 bronze for that month

It would keep interest for off season. Pgibbo can clock his skiing hours :-). Spend 10 hrs in the gym rehabilitating an injury woohoo clock a bronze that month.

At the end of the year tot up the total bronze silver and golds collected per person. Simples

Imagine the scenario. On the 29th of the month Zico and Peter Kern both have max gold on 3 sports. So Zico plays table tennis for 5 hours on the 30th to add a bronze to take it 😀

It would be strict rule of post by each month end to be counted. Then do up the score (I'll volunteer) 3pts for a gold, 2 for a Silver, 1 for bronze. No need to rank, sort, auto calculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I say keep it as it is. A table on the forum will turn people away who don't know how to use it. GDocs is handy to navigate and a link in sig could help. There'll be a drop off regardless of where it is as people finish up after a races anyway. We all know zico will run away with it again but the monthly rankings still keep a bit interest in it

If there is such a drop as the year goes on, then you can always progressively weight each month a little heavier by some small factor. Doubt anyone will go for this idea, but it would be interesting since everyone is all a buzz with training in January and some peter out with it as the year goes on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

there seems to be enough interest in keeping the google docs table going, no real changes are being suggested, so i suggest i'll put that back up for those that want it.

i like the idea of a monthly competition on boards as well though. the idea of naming a target, and getting rewarded by hitting it by months end works well. let me give that some thought

• Advertisement

Shotgun loves the 300 burpees in a day challenge.

Wonder if he'd fit it in by year end..... :D

Happy Christmas everyone!!

Advertisement