Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying home in Emmet Road Inchicore

Options
  • 22-12-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I am looking for an apartment to buy and given my limited budget (ca. 160K) I thought Inchicore could be a good compromise as it is close to the city centre and prices are slightly lower than other parts in Dublin.

My only concern is about the area. I have very little knowledge of Inchicore. I only walked there few times and I thought it is a very nice village and I didn't had any problems at all.
    But I read about some anti-social behaviour - drugs, robbery, gangs, etc... - on some other old forums and I was now wondering if the situation has changed or not.

So my question is: is Inchicore safe? Would you recommend to buy an apartment in that area for that budget?

Thanks a lot,
    Vincent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,551 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hi All,

I am looking for an apartment to buy and given my limited budget (ca. 160K) I thought Inchicore could be a good compromise as it is close to the city centre and prices are slightly lower than other parts in Dublin.

My only concern is about the area. I have very little knowledge of Inchicore. I only walked there few times and I thought it is a very nice village and I didn't had any problems at all.
    But I read about some anti-social behaviour - drugs, robbery, gangs, etc... - on some other old forums and I was now wondering if the situation has changed or not.

So my question is: is Inchicore safe? Would you recommend to buy an apartment in that area for that budget?

Thanks a lot,
    Vincent
    Emmet road is a fairly long and busy road with lots of buses (handy for town but noisy if you near road) It would really depend where it is also, there are takeaways pub, football ground. I think the main part of inchicore can be fairly rough tbh (lived in kilmainham and inchicore for 8 years). Also maybe check if any flooding on emmet road, I know a lot of places in kilmainham flooded when the camac broke it's banks.

Personally I think for that budget you could maybe stretch to a small (albeit fixer up) house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd live in Inchicore to be honest but it ended up out of our price range. My best pal lives there and it can be a bit knackertastic. Frankly if you don't go looking for trouble you'll be grand however you'd want to be tolerant of the locals in certain areas, especially around Thomas Davis street etc. It's an area that could go either way in the next few years in my opinion.

The added issue with apartments in the management co. I find my friend has an awful time with them as people simply don't pay the management fees. Also some of the larger complexes such as the Tramyards would have a few 'ladies of the evening' working from them, par for the course really even in posh parts of D4. Probably the best neighbours you'll ever have unless there's a squeaky bed!

Edit: Thought about coming into the South CC for that budget?

Viking Harbour: http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/135-viking-harbour-ushers-island-south-city-centre-d8-dublin-8/3404545
    The Maltings, also the apartments over the river in D7 - I forget the name. The area is an odd one - go up the road and you're into some of the worst areas in Dublin, however they tend to go 'up the hill' rather than down it on to the Quays.

The problem is you'll be looking at pokey as a generous description!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

A native myself, lived there for over 25 yrs. The area has improved greatly over the last 20 yrs. Emmet road is a long road and honestly apart from the small stretch between the bottom of luby hill and the lights at kilmainham I wouldn't live anywhere on Emmet road.

Avoid Turvey avenue like the plague (There is a really bad family in that area, the mods will probably ban me for naming them even though they are all over the papers and in many high profile court cases, convictions for murder, assault, robbery...etc.)

I'd also probably avoid the village end too, while it's grand and generally harmless you do get the odd gob****e from the council estate. As been mentioned the Tramyard has a mix of professionals, social welfare and the other kind of "professional", would I live there? probably not as i'm just not a fan of that area, perhaps I cant forget the way it use to be before all that development was done. There use to be a drug clinic across the road and it brought all sorts of scum into the area. But that's long long gone and it's a good location for some.

It's a real f**king shame, that village has so much potential and it goes through cycles of good to bad, presently there are a few closed down businesses that make it look unsightly. I look at the plans they have for Stillorgan for example and it's disappointing that the same effort can't be put into Inchicore. The local counsellors have failed to put together a local plan for the village. It's so close to the city and has lots of amenities, it's so frustrating.

Also something to keep in mind and I'll be shot for saying this, but the bulldozed st michaels estate near the village centre has been mentioned as a location for the new modular housing.

Now where I would live, any of the roads of Bulfin road (anner road, southern cross, connolly avenue, bulfin road), these all border along Kilmainham. They are mature areas, good families, very gentrified. The houses on these roads were selling for crazy money in the boom 400k+ and so you have alot of professionals living in the area.

Advertisement