Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 (non jailbroken malware)

• 22-12-2015 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Running a fully updated and never jailbroken iPhone 6.

Getting a bit concerned. Was playing Xbox the last night and googling something to do with it and ended up on a website with a dialog box. Was half looking and then looked again and it was a pop up box saying id been chosen to win a new iPhone crap. Pawed at it to stop it and it opened a link to the App Store to the words with friends app. Closer the app and went back to Safari. The window came up again. Manually closed safari but once I went back in the window came back up before I could close the tab. So had to go to safari setting and delete all history etc to get rid of it.

Clicked a link in the Facebook app tonight (for badly drawn lines comic) and the same message came up within the Facebook browser. Screen grab attached. Manually closed the app.

image.png
    free image host

Then 2 mins later opened safari to check it and got thrown to a page with this **** again.

Not sure what to do now. Didn't think this was possible on iOS. Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have the same issue, started a week ago on two iPads. Not sure how it started but can't find an ongoing solution and it's not affecting iPhone so far.

Appears to be certain ads on certain pages run a JavaScript to take over the page. Disabling JavaScript stops in happening, but then a lot of webpages dont work correctly.

I started using an ad blocker to stop it happening, doesn't work for browsing in gmail or Twitter browser, but stopped it happening in safari. I used 'refine'

Edit - although I suspected Vodafone mifi device was compromised for a while but found no evidence of it. I see others claim that also. Are you using Vodafone.

Possibly it's ad servers compromised somewhere but only using it against certain traffic on some networks. Weird one, as was surprised it wasn't in the news if worldwide. Relatively local issue I'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

copacetic wrote: »

I started using an ad blocker to stop it happening, doesn't work for browsing in gmail or Twitter browser, but stopped it happening in safari. I used 'refine'

Edit - although I suspected Vodafone mifi device was compromised for a while but found no evidence of it. I see others claim that also. Are you using Vodafone.

Possibly it's ad servers compromised somewhere but only using it against certain traffic on some networks. Weird one, as was surprised it wasn't in the news if worldwide. Relatively local issue I'm guessing.

The ad blocker in Safari is running and I disabled JavaScript after what happened already but as you say - that banjaxes allot of sites (like I can't thank your post above now!). Gonna go to town changing passwords now though.

And I'm not on Vodafone mifi - but I am a Vodafone home broadband customer. And this has only ever happened at home on wifi.

So it's the stock Vodafone modem/router.

:/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057531915

Already multiple threads about the problem

Advertisement