Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tablet 1/2 life?

• 22-12-2015 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

As this is a pharmacology thread Im assuming Im in the right place.

I take 120mg tablet with 1/2 life of 12 hours. Does that mean I should split the dose to 2 x 60mg? One in the morning and one at night.?

Ive asked gp and asked chemist, got different answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You take the pill as prescribed by your Dr/pharmacist.

Doses and schedules for drugs are usually set specifically to maintain a certain level in the body and they take into account their half life.

Dosage_interval.jpg?size=bestfit&width=550&height=331&revision=1By halving the dose but shortening the interval you should end up with similar blood levels. But I am not a pharmacologist, and effects may vary depending on the drug. Side effects may play a role in dose scheduling too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

getaroom wrote: »
    As this is a pharmacology thread Im assuming Im in the right place.

I take 120mg tablet with 1/2 life of 12 hours. Does that mean I should split the dose to 2 x 60mg? One in the morning and one at night.?

Ive asked gp and asked chemist, got different answers.
    Talk to your GP or pharmacist about how to take your tablets. Don't ask strangers on the internet. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement