Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate work present help??

Options
  • 22-12-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Dont know if this is the right forum but I could really use some help. Im 19 and just had work xmas party. I work for a small retail place and we did secret santa (about 14 of us altogether). The theme was to be funny and needless to say as the workplace chatterbox and the youngest there I was expecting a funny present! I put effort into my secret santas present to make it humerous but useful. Anyway, here's the problem.

My boss ended up getting me. He has a rep for being a bit of a sl*eze but being the youngest I didnt think it'd be anything too bad-maybe a tape recorder or something! He insisted on being first to give his present. I opened it and saw a lovely pair of pj's-how thoughtful! He insisted that I hold them up and thats when I knew there was something fishy. Anyway, a red and very seductive lingerie set fell out of them. Yes, my boss bought me lingerie. I tried to laugh it off all the while in my head thinking how inappropriate it was..he made me hold them up for a pic and everyone around us was laughing but again, i laughed it off. I later learned that he had rang one of the others when he was in shopping to ask her what size she reckoned I was cause he wanted to get the perfect ones and thats all i keep thinking in my head now- he rang another member of staff to talk about my size so he could buy me launderie!!!

Ever since the party I have felt so uncomfortable in his presence and I have only told my friend but swore her to secrecy because I hate the thought of people even hearing about it. Im thinking about handing in my notice. Im not a prude or anything but i just think it was so innapropriate- noone else gave a present like that. Am I overreacting?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've seen this happen multiple times in organisations with young workforces tbh.
    No action taken, one particularly attractive lady I worked with got a lacy set of red nipple less underwear one year
    Have you got a HR dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Pics or gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Giving a work colleague lingerie is utterly inappropriate. Especially as he went to trouble to get right sizes.

Is there anyone more senior you could speak to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Hi OP

Its amazing that your manager has such a lack of awareness. You would think Stupidity was only in the minority but as you can see in post 3 its all around you.

If you found the present offensive, contact HR

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

That mist have come as a terrible shock OP nothing could have prepared you for that, it says a lot about the boss and his reputation. You are blessed that you are not falling for his charms and that you have your self esteem and dignity intact. Those who colluded with him regarding your size are equally as bad and obviously licking up to him.

For the moment keep your power and don't let him get to you, in that way he is winning and you are giving him the power to wreck your head.

In the mean time hold your head up high but keep a firm professional boundary. When you get the chance and ideally when he is in the least prepared you could shock him, ask to have a colleague go with you for support if you wish and tell him you need a quiet word, tell him about the Christmas party and how you and all your friends found it very strange and most unusual to be given lingerie from a boss to a member of staff and more over by the fact that other staff members were asked for advise on the correct size to buy, don't allow him to but in, say this wont take a minute I need you to hear me out, be as calm and professional as you can, and ask him straight out " Why did you feel the need to buy me lingerie for a gift and to consult with other staff about my size, I have discussed it with friends and family and they all found it very strange, wait to see the look on his face, just say your piece and enjoy the moment! if it is not possible to get the support of a friend you could record the conversation, don't respond to any comments like you cant take a joke etc trying to put it back on you, stay firm and simply say look I am not responding to that. I asked you a question and I need an answer it is as simple as that.
    In the meantime be on the look out for another job. A friend of mine gets a chocolate Santa every Christmas from her boss who is a Dentist, hard one to stomach too! It says a lot about the other person you be sure not to take it personally, hold your head up high, a big hug to you X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The place is small there is no HR department he is the manager/boss/owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Give him the back the present with a letter attached explaining that you think this is inappropriate behaviour, and warn him that this stops now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

It was a joke. If he was trying to be sleazy, he would have given you the undies in private.

But if you feel aggrieved, report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

I wonder if handing them back you are destroying the evidence, I wouldn't see this as a joke in any shape or form, and I do have a good sense of humour, there is a time and place for everything, not from an employer in my opinion. In setting our own boundaries we can teach others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

I'd say that bang outta order myself (especially the fact he asked what sizes to get...) a supervisor of mine got me mini condoms and a blow up sheep thing. I was 17 the time, she was mid 20's. Was a giggle tbh.

But if your gut feeling beforehand was that he's a bit skeezy, I'd go over his head to the owner/head boss. That's really not appropriate at all. I dunno how else to advise you on this, it's a poxy situation to be in.
    But I'll just say this, if you give them back to him... Make sure there's a few of your colleagues around and make it be known in front of them (and him, especially him) that you're not okay with it and make him look like the tit he is. But try to bring it up with HIS Boss, it's possible that he has previous or the boss has an idea of what he's like.

Ye shouldn't be having to deal with this type of shoite. I hope it works out well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I would keep them in the office and wait until his wife or girlfriend ever visits and then hand it back to him in view of said wife or girlfriend , hopefully he 'll take it as a joke

First of all, what he did was just wrong. There is just no excuse for anyone to do that - and it is particularly inappropriate for a boss to do it.

Anyone who wants to write this off as just a joke hasn't the faintest idea what it feels like to be a young person in a small workplace who finds themselves (particularly herself) on the receiving end of the wrong kind of attention from an older boss.

Yep, OP, maybe he did mean it as a joke, but it's the kind of joke that should not be visited on a young member of staff by someone in a position of authority in the workplace.

I think handing in your notice without doing anything else would be a mistake. You should say something, either to him or else to someone senior to him. Saying it to him is better and fairer, but that can sometimes make the situation worse, so you'll have to judge that. But in any case what I think you should say is that you understand that it may have been intended as a bit of a laugh, and you played along not to spoil things at the Xmas party, but you didn't think it was right and it made you feel uncomfortable, and because of that you'd prefer if something like that didn't happen again.

If after that things don't go right, then maybe you will have to call it a day - but why should you hand in your notice when you've done nothing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The fact that this is a small Company and he owner/manager/boss makes this hard.

Of course this was awfully inappropriate and embarrassing.

I think the best thing is to give them back. I'd probably just leave them back in his desk. He'll either get the message or come asking when you can set him straight on how inappropriate you feel it was, keep it calm and professional.

These small companies are a minefield with no HR and the owner in such a position. They range from being oblivious to beig ruthless with the power they have over employees, and with a small number of employees everyone knows everything straight away.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's inappropriate - but did you really expect him to do anything different?

Why are you still working there, given that you know he is a sleeze?

Good luck with the job-hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

............... but being the youngest ............maybe a tape recorder or something!

a tape recorder ? the youngest ? how many are working in this museum ?

JJbBhFS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Banoffee2 - what's wrong with getting a chocolate Santa from your boss? Am I missing something???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

huey1975 wrote: »
    Pics or gtfo

Oh my days !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Jobs aren't quite ten a penny at the moment if you hadn't realised. I'd agree with your sentiment that OP would be best to find somewhere else to work. But leaving just because boss is bit of sleeze when no other job lined up is a bit mad. Plenty of places have slightly sleezy bosses while not ideal sometimes just need to deal with it for a while til can find something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

That sounds like victim blaming. She shouldn't have to anticipate that a sleazy boss would be inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Why would anyone expect that? That's a very bizarre thing to expect from a boss :confused:

Why are your posts in every single thread always so abrasive? It's like you deliberately try to take whatever stance will rile up the most people even if it's completely off the wall like this one... very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op so much for it being secret santa if you knew who was giving you the gift. I thought with secret santa you didn't know who bought you the gift. The whole thing is supposed to be a piss take and havin a laugh. Is he like this with other female staff? as jobs aren't exactly easy to come by these days I think you might just get on with your job and forget about it.

That sounds like victim blaming. She shouldn't have to anticipate that a sleazy boss would be inappropriate.

It is sexual harassment, and she could take a complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission (ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/harassment_at_work.html) - but only after she has tried informal approaches to resolving the issue.

But the reality is that a business-owning sleeze is unlikely to change his stripes. there is no board of directors or manager or HR that can be used to moderate his behaviour, as there would be in larger businesses. The OP might get some cash out of him - but in a smaller town, she will also get a reputation which means no one else will hire her.

If a person finds they are working for such a person, and sticks around there, then they are indeed setting themself up to be a victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

If a person finds they are working for such a person, and sticks around there, then they are indeed setting themself up to be a victim.

So your response to the suggestion that your post sounded like victim blaming is to clarify that, yes, you are victim blaming.

OP, don't mind this nonsense, you're not to blame and you didn't invite it, it's entirely on him and no matter what situation you work in, you're entitled to trust that colleagues at all levels of the organisation won't conduct themselves inappropriately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Log9

This is why it's a good idea to have a policy for presents! Saves a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Banoffee2 - what's wrong with getting a chocolate Santa from your boss? Am I missing something???

Maybe he meant that a chocolate present isn't conducive to good dental hygiene?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Totally inappropriate and OP would want to be careful or this could escalate.
    OP was humiliated and my advice is its time to ask for a raise, if you follow. Use this to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So your response to the suggestion that your post sounded like victim blaming is to clarify that, yes, you are victim blaming.

It's par for the course on this forum. From my lurking/reading I'd say many people who post regularly to it are managers, self employed or own companies I think and The Boss (TM) is always right!

In fairness an employee in this situation could be on a hiding to nothing trying to do anything concrete about this, hard to know if it is small place and owner/manager is the problem-person.

OP, don't mind this nonsense, you're not to blame and you didn't invite it, it's entirely on him and no matter what situation you work in, you're entitled to trust that colleagues at all levels of the organisation won't conduct themselves inappropriately

So what specific, actionable suggestions do you have for the OP about what she can do about this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

fly_agaric wrote: »
    It's par for the course on this forum. From my lurking/reading I'd say many people who post regularly to it are managers, self employed or own companies I think and The Boss (TM) is always right!

In fairness the advice may be right, & an employee in this situation could be on a hiding to nothing trying to do anything concrete about it.

Its very tough in these small companies, on one hand you have the law on your side, and this should be enough....

But the boss is the owner, manager, HR and everything all rolled into one, not specifically towards this case but in many instances best HR practice goes out the window and the owner will get their way, create too many waves and you're history, maybe not for this but for the next possible reason. Often these guys grew the business from their own skill set and so have no management or people management training at all, they often rule by strong hand tactics, when its going well it can be great environment to be in, but if you rub the boss up the wrong way and it can be a nightmare place to work, I'm not saying its right - but its the way things are, these guys own the business and so usually get their own way on everything

I still think OP should leave the gifts back on the boss's desk, he will realise he's made a mistake, or may come looking for clarification giving op an opening to put the record straight. I think if OP wants to continue there - make the point but with a measured approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I have never posted on this forum but it's disappointing to read the above quote, suggesting that a young girl starting off her working life should be a servile employee when confronted with such inappropriate behaviour. To suggest that there should be a subculture at work, counter to social norms, that an employee should be submissive in the face of a humiliation and go get another job. It's wrong.

Advertisement