Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I buy the wrong laptop?

• 22-12-2015 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just getting back into SWTOR and I think I made a mistake in a new gaming machine. I purchased the Aorus x3 Plus-CF2 with an 870m but should I have went with the other MSI as attached?

Will my gaming be significantly different on SWTOR with the older card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There will be a difference between the two, but honestly I wouldn't expect there to be a massive difference between playing SWTOR on one or the other. The 970m would provide better range and texture detail but really the graphics for the game aren't great anyway, so you won't miss out on much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Sonics2k wrote: »
    There will be a difference between the two, but honestly I wouldn't expect there to be a massive difference between playing SWTOR on one or the other. The 970m would provide better range and texture detail but really the graphics for the game aren't great anyway, so you won't miss out on much.

Thanks sonic, would you think I'd be better sacrificing the additional ssd and UHD screen and returning this and getting the other with the 970m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the second SSD isn't essential, as it's only a 256gb and they're setup in Raid 0.

Honestly, 1 SSD and a 1tb drive is better. It allows you to store more, and offers very little performance difference.

I'd personally prefer the MSI laptop, due to the difference in GPU and CPU alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

brady23 wrote: »
    Thanks sonic, would you think I'd be better sacrificing the additional ssd and UHD screen and returning this and getting the other with the 970m?

As RoyalMarine said, the MSI is the better option.

The SSD and 1TB HDD will work out much better and the GPU is going to be an improvement overall. If you have the option to swap the two, then go for it.

Laptop just arrived so tempting to open it. I'll make a final decision later on thanks for all the comments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX970M is a significantly better GPU.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think if you're buying a "gaming" laptop, then yes, you've bought the wrong laptop :p

But if I had to choose, then I'd be buying the MSI without hesitation.

Yeah it will take a while to return now given its xmas and all. Im considering buying a laptop in the mean time with a gtx 970m or better and returning this asap.

Just to mention as far as gaming goes I would say it'll be 1/3 of the machines use, 1/3 work and 1/3 online poker so given its better screen resolution and equally good processor I am not sure if its worth returning is all.

Also the games i'll be playing primarily SWTOR isnt too taxing so Im in two minds still.

Still havent opened it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

I would have gone for the MSI for the extra $90

well if that's all you're using it for, then you've probably spent about €600 too much - total overkill! :) I recommend getting a second monitor at 1440p cause even if you keep the one you have, the tiny screen size mixed with the high resolution means there'll be a lot of squinting.

• Advertisement

So I decided to send back the laptop and I think I'm going to go with the Desktop instead. Buying it used on adverts off a reputable seller and works out less than the laptop.

I just have one thought. Should I upgrade the RAM? Also the SSD is small but I have an external HDD for games

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i7-4770k-8gb-ram-gtx-980-matrix-platinum-ssd-250gb-mini-itx/9506203

Any input before I shell out the cash would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is it a 128gb or 250gb SSD as it contradicts itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

hi i bought my son a asus n551jx laptop for xmas and when he opened it it was fine but then he found out that it didn't meet a lot of the system requirements to play games. One such game was Space Engineers. he started downloading it off steam but then realised he didn't have the recommended specs so he got a refund. the man in pc world said it could run gta v at around 50fps but the laptop doesn't even have the recommended requirements for it. It has a 1 core (i think) i5 processor and a gtx 950m graphics card. On online reviews it says different specs. he was really upset about it and i would really appreciate any help! Thanks a million!

A 950m should be ok for Space Engineers and GTA, an i5 should be too. How much RAM is in it? The specifications on the Space Engineers store page says you should have enough to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

i have 8gb of ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

brady23 wrote: »
    So I decided to send back the laptop and I think I'm going to go with the Desktop instead. Buying it used on adverts off a reputable seller and works out less than the laptop.

I just have one thought. Should I upgrade the RAM? Also the SSD is small but I have an external HDD for games

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i7-4770k-8gb-ram-gtx-980-matrix-platinum-ssd-250gb-mini-itx/9506203

Any input before I shell out the cash would be appreciated

You should just make your own and spec as you need.

1450 is a bit much too when it doesn't have everything u need like the larger ssd, u don't need a core i7 either for gaming, core i5 is good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

And being realistic, I always get turned off by ad's selling 4x2gb Ram sticks.

8x2 is dirt cheap and 16gb has become the standard for most people to add that "future proof" touch to their computers.

Head over to the PC building and Upgrading forum and ask for some help on pricing / budgeting a PC to your actual needs.

You will get much better computer for what you actually need. And will allow you to maximise your budget to include some nice peripherals and a monitor etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Hannaho wrote: »
    hi i bought my son a asus n551jx laptop for xmas and when he opened it it was fine but then he found out that it didn't meet a lot of the system requirements to play games. One such game was Space Engineers. he started downloading it off steam but then realised he didn't have the recommended specs so he got a refund. the man in pc world said it could run gta v at around 50fps but the laptop doesn't even have the recommended requirements for it. It has a 1 core (i think) i5 processor and a gtx 950m graphics card. On online reviews it says different specs. he was really upset about it and i would really appreciate any help! Thanks a million!

Is this the laptop? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Notebook-i7-4720HQ-Graphics-Windows-Upgrade/dp/B00Y0LX2MI. It seems like a reasonable laptop and ought to be able to play all the recent games, as well as new ones for the next couple of year.

How do you know the specs on the laptop you got are different? Did you check via the control panel? What are the exact specs of the laptop? Is it possible there was a mixup when purchasing and the wrong one was given to you?

Hey so still on the fence about the laptop, waiting to hear back about the returns but I did open it.

The screen I must say is unbelievable but scaling definitely is an issue. I was wondering given the spec of the machine is there anywhere I could find out the best configuration for certain games given its spec.
    ATM Ive gone back to playing a little SWTOR which I know isnt that demanding any help would be great.

Thanks

Advertisement