Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official reprimand by email

Options
  • 22-12-2015 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi
    So the situation is this
    Monday the 14th turn up to work late slightly hungover
    Meet the boss in the stock room then out on my travels
    Missed tuesday due to my partner ringing and needing to be brought to hospital, I was en route to work and 5 mins away when I rang the office to explain
    Wednesday arrive in the office and explained I needed time off as things not right at home
    Said I'd ring at 1 and clear the log
    Manager said fine
    Rang the manager at 1 he said how are you fixed, I said I can come in if needs be, his reply was to give him a full day on the thursday
    Anyway I received an email from the managing director (owner), last night explaining I didn't show for work in Tuesday and Wednesday only ringing and being unfit for work on the monday, he said he had no proof I was unfit
    Anyway
    What is an official reprimand to my file by email without a verbal warning or chance to explain my position

Sorry for the long post
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did he say he was giving you an official reprimand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭wadk

Stheno wrote: »
    Did he say he was giving you an official reprimand?

Thanks stheno
    He said this was an official reprimand which was being added to my file
    My reading of the meaning reprimand means scolded or slap on the knuckles but who's to know which is why I haven't approached this issue with him just yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wadk wrote: »
    Thanks stheno
    He said this was an official reprimand which was being added to my file
    My reading of the meaning reprimand means scolded or slap on the knuckles but who's to know which is why I haven't approached this issue with him just yet.

Yes that's what it sounds like, that he's basically saying your behaviour wasn't acceptable and he's making a note of it. Did he say it was a warning, or just a reprimand? And does your company have an official disciplinary procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Step 1 consult with companies sick leave policy and disciplinary policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭wadk

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes that's what it sounds like, that he's basically saying your behaviour wasn't acceptable and he's making a note of it. Did he say it was a warning, or just a reprimand? And does your company have an official disciplinary procedure?

Just this email was an official reprimand thats all
    Yes as far as I am aware of
    About seven years ago I received a verbal which I'm sure expired or ran its course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

wadk wrote: »
    Just this email was an official reprimand thats all
    Yes as far as I am aware of
    About seven years ago I received a verbal which I'm sure expired or ran its course

Turning up late for work hungover and then heading out on your "travels" should be enough. If you crash while hung over and possibly over the limit while driving for the company would land the employer a nice legal problem not to mention meeting clients while the worse for wear.. If he had proof you were over the limit it would be dismissal for gross misconduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Personally if it were me and I was able to get proof that my partner was in hospital etc I'd throw in a Force Majuere for those days

I'd question being unfit for work on the Monday also - If the only "proof" is my manager's opinion on the Monday, I'd then question the manager's motives if he let someone he considered "unfit for work" go driving for the day.

all hypothetical of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd also consult your contract regarding discipline structure and procedure. Usually it's a verbal, the one and then two writtens, in which case by not giving you a verbal then they've broken procedure. But that can vary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'd also consult your contract regarding discipline structure and procedure. Usually it's a verbal, the one and then two writtens, in which case by not giving you a verbal then they've broken procedure. But that can vary

to add- while yes, that's typically the policy for companies, for "gross misconduct" that process can often be by-passed and move straight to dismissal or just short of dismissal (i.e. final written warning/pay deducted etc)

Not saying this instance is "gross misconduct"- just pointing out that normal disciplinary "levels" don't have to apply as you've outlined above, when it is.

Either way, there should be a formal meeting to determine facts i.e. to get the OP's version of events. At that point, the company then decides what action, if any, will be taken- it seems pre-mature to write an email unless it is to invite the OP to a meeting; then it would make total sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, when you say "travels" did that involve you driving on behalf of the company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

It would make more sense for you to be reprimanded over your Monday behaviour than tue and Wed. You should use force majeure for the days you were absent but there should be processes for reprimands or warnings and they should not just be sent by email.

But OP being honest being late and hungover and if driving for the company is a no no you know that, right ?

Advertisement