Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of public versus semi-private care

Options
  • 22-12-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

My wife recently had her first scan in Holles St - due in June. We're going semi-private and to be honest I was shocked at how haphazard everything seemed in there, but that's a separate matter.

When we went in, we were told that the cost of semi-private treatment was €900. We got the bill a few days after our appointment, closely followed by another for an additional €125 for a blood test.

My sister and another friend had babies in the last couple of years under standard public care, and both reckon they were never billed for anything. Does anyone know if maybe theyre wrong, and this is a valid cost, or perhaps is there a culture within semi-private of suggesting billable services and if its not questioned or rejected, firing a bill in the post?

Im not complaining about the cost, just wondering if what we are being charged is standard. As I understand it, the only difference between public and semi-private care is having an obstetrician at the birth, yet there seems to be an additional layer of fees.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Daughter had a baby last year. Layla cover for €3500. Enquired about going private. Informed it was €4000, so she asked did that mean she had pay the difference ie €500. Answer : No, cost to you is €4000. She went public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

As I understand it, the only difference between public and semi-private care is having an obstetrician at the birth

If an obstetrician is required at the birth, there'll be one there, whether you're public or semi-private or private.

If it's a normal straight-forward labour and birth, then the less people around, the more relaxed the atmosphere will be.

If that's the only reason you're going for semi-private, to me it REALLY doesn't seem worth it. It's money that could be far better spent on the baby after it's born.

Just my own opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Every hospital seems to be different, but I know my health insurance covered absolutely nothing.

In Cork, the difference between private and public is that you go to a different building for your scans. I went public in CUMH.

There was no charge at any point. I had an obstetrician at my first birth, midwives at my second. Rooms afterwards were two women per room, not wards. Happy with both experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sebastian Dangerfield - do you have private health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

No charge in holles street public whatsoever. On my second and due in June. On my first I saw my consultant at every appointment, only midwives at the birth which was straight forward, if it hadn't have been a consultant would have been called.

As a previous poster has said if the only reason for going sp is to have an ob at the birth I wouldn't bother. The midwives are fantastic but if you need an ob you'll get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

When we went in, we were told that the cost of semi-private treatment was €900. We got the bill a few days after our appointment, closely followed by another for an additional €125 for a blood test.

Thanks

In the eumom pack that is given on the first visit there is a schedule of fees. The blood tests are covered by some insurance companies and not others.

I know in my case VHI covers all blood tests etc so the total cost is €900.

If you go fully private there are costs for visiting the a&e dept.

The semi-private clinic can be a bit haphazard as you say but you get used to it pretty quickly and usually I am in and out in an hour.

Best of luck with the pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Semi-private in the Rotunda, costs cover scans visits etc. I've seen other hospitals that don't cover everything under the lump sum cost. They usually list out what is covered, check their website.
    I don't think you're guaranteed an obstetrician at birth? You will be in the same delivery suite as public patients. If you need a doctor, the one on call will attend to you. The only way you'll get a guaranteed individual that you have met before is if you go fully private.
    The main differences between semi-private and public are that you attend a different room(s) for your appointments, and that you get a semi-private ward afterwards (assuming one is available). Oh and the cost. Otherwise it's pretty much the exact same as the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Thanks for all the responses. My wife has healthcare with VHI - I have Aviva, but it will be going under hers.

Little Miss Cutie, it sounds like we are getting something similar to you. Did you not have to pay the blood tests up front, or was it covered at source by your insurance? We first got a bill for €900, then a second for €1,025.

I think they have made an skin error. If you contact the payment office they'll be able to amend your account. 900 EUR is all you should be charged.

The second bill sounds like the 900 plus the blood test of 125. Total 1025. But the blood test should be included in the 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

If you go fully private there are costs for visiting the a&e dept.

I'm fully private in Holles st. for the second time and I've never been charged for casualty visits. I had a large number of them on my last pregnancy unfortunately. My insurance company was billed when I was admitted from casualty to stay overnight but for outpatient visits there was nothing - my most recent one was only a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I think they have made an skin error. If you contact the payment office they'll be able to amend your account. 900 EUR is all you should be charged.

The second bill sounds like the 900 plus the blood test of 125. Total 1025. But the blood test should be included in the 900.

No it isn't. In am semi private in Holles St and was told on my first visit about the extra €125 for blood testing. I paid it as well as the 900. Not sure if I can claim the blood test or some of it back but worth checking with your health insurer. Must do same myself. Give them a call to clarify but it's what I had to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I'm on my second semi-private experience in the Coombe. I paid the €900 and have also had to fork out for two scans (12 week and 20 weeks) which were €80 and €160 if I remember correctly. I do feel a bit gouged tbh since public patients don't pay for these scans. On the plus side my medical insurance reimburses me in full for the scans and the €900. Also, the semi private clinic is well run and I'm in and out in under an hour..was out in 20 mins last month having seen midwife, consultant and had a little scan in that time!

I don't think I'd bother with Semi P if my medical insurance didn't cover it in full

I'm on my second semi-private experience in the Coombe. I paid the €900 and have also had to fork out for two scans (12 week and 20 weeks) which were €80 and €160 if I remember correctly. I do feel a bit gouged tbh since public patients don't pay for these scans. On the plus side my medical insurance reimburses me in full for the scans and the €900. Also, the semi private clinic is well run and I'm in and out in under an hour..was out in 20 mins last month having seen midwife, consultant and had a little scan in that time!

I don't think I'd bother with Semi P if my medical insurance didn't cover it in full

You get the full €900 back, are you sure? I haven't heard of that before. I thought that was the cost with the insurance cover already covering the rest. I know you're not going to holles street but I'd have thought all hospitals were more or less the same.

From Holles Street website:

Semi-private Consultants Fee:
    Obstetrics......
    €1200 (Antenatal Visits/Ultrasound/NormalDelivery/Postnatal Care inHospital)
    €1345(Antenatal Visits/Ultrasound/Caesareansection/Postnatal Care inHospital)€298
    (Covered by Insurance for normal delivery)€445
    (Covered by Insurance for caesarean section)
    Balance......... €900
    (Payable by Patient–may be paid in three instalments)

I'm curious, do semi-private and private patients in Holles St get scans at every appointment? And if so do you have to pay every single time? That must really add up! :eek:

I was public, I had a mini-scan at every appointment, plus the anomaly scan at 20 weeks (two of them actually, as they didn't get a good view of the heart on the first one), maybe 5-6 extra scans in the first trimester to confirm it was a viable pregnancy, two scans late in pregnancy when the baby wasn't moving, plus a really detailed 3D scan (with loads of photos!) at 39 weeks for a research project. Actually they were very good for giving photos without me even asking at every appointment, even at the quick mini-scans.

I'm curious, do semi-private and private patients in Holles St get scans at every appointment? And if so do you have to pay every single time? That must really add up! :eek:

I was public, I had a mini-scan at every appointment, plus the anomaly scan at 20 weeks (two of them actually, as they didn't get a good view of the heart on the first one), maybe 5-6 extra scans in the first trimester to confirm it was a viable pregnancy, two scans late in pregnancy when the baby wasn't moving, plus a really detailed 3D scan (with loads of photos!) at 39 weeks for a research project. Actually they were very good for giving photos without me even asking at every appointment, even at the quick mini-scans.

No you don't, you only pay the €900 plus the €125 for blood tests and mini checks/scans are done every time they see you for check ups. If you needed anything more serious in the nature of testing you'd probably have to pay for those. I think anyway. I have had a scan every time and no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Im not complaining about the cost, just wondering if what we are being charged is standard. As I understand it, the only difference between public and semi-private care is having an obstetrician at the birth an extra slice of toast if you want it, yet there seems to be an additional layer of fees.

Thanks

Private cover for Childbirth is one of the greatest scams in the health service.
    Thankfully, in this country, you'll get the best medical care available whether you're paying for it or not. Even when you're paying for it there's no guarantee that 'your' consultant / obstetrician or any of your pre-natal care team will be there. If specifically needed, a consultant/obs will be there but if not they certainly won't go too far out of their way to ensure that they're in attendance.
    I've seen both sides of the fence on numerous occasions and the difference in care giving is literally diddly squat !!

Private cover for Childbirth is one of the greatest scams in the health service.
    Thankfully, in this country, you'll get the best medical care available whether you're paying for it or not. Even when you're paying for it there's no guarantee that 'your' consultant / obstetrician or any of your pre-natal care team will be there. If specifically needed, a consultant/obs will be there but if not they certainly won't go too far out of their way to ensure that they're in attendance.
    I've seen both sides of the fence on numerous occasions and the difference in care giving is literally diddly squat !!

As far as I can see, the big difference is you'll probably (not definitely!) be on a 4-bed rather than a 6-bed ward.

Which would be nice, certainly. In fact there were 8 beds squashed into my 6-bed ward, it was not pleasant and very overcrowded. I'd have loved to have been in a smaller ward.

But while it would have been nice, it would NOT have been worth the extortionate money that could otherwise be spent on my son.

We've had two in holles street with extra blood tests on the second due to complication. No additional charges other than the 900.

OP. Best ring the hospital and ask.
    Babooshka wrote: »
    No it isn't. In am semi private in Holles St and was told on my first visit about the extra €125 for blood testing. I paid it as well as the 900. Not sure if I can claim the blood test or some of it back but worth checking with your health insurer. Must do same myself. Give them a call to clarify but it's what I had to do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

the service you recieve will be the same, the doctors overseeing your pregnancy will be the same, the midwives treating you and delivering the baby wiull be the same. the room will have slighly less people in it in semi private than public.

It dont matter how much you pay either, its a public sector midwife that delivers your baby alongwith all the public list babies unless theres serious issues.

Its not worth the money, if you have insurance then fair enough but out of your own pocket? feck that, ya pay tax for a reason!

Sourse: related tomidwive in holles street and have 2 kids born there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I respectfully disagree. I had a dreadful experience with parts of the public system on my second pregnancy. I was a private patient but had to go through part of the public system. When I encountered the on call consultant in charge of the public ward I was on it was so bad I will never go public ever-when my consultant came in the treatment was dramatically different and I know the outcome was better for me and my baby. The public system I encountered was terribly hit and miss, with very little continuity of care and I ended up having to explain myself to every member of staff. Whereas I built up a relationship with the consultant who ended up delivering my two children and had a better time post recovery on the private ward. I've seen both sides of the fence and the difference is enough for me to know that if and when we have another I'll go private and I'll be far more vocal with the staff in general.

My consultant delivered both my children. Friends have gone with her too and she's delivered every baby they've had.

ETA-semi private probably isn't worth the money. The semi-p ward I was on for a night was no different to the public wards. Private care is a different kettle of fish, before and after the birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Babooshka wrote: »
    You get the full €900 back, are you sure? I haven't heard of that before. I thought that was the cost with the insurance cover already covering the rest. I know you're not going to holles street but I'd have thought all hospitals were more or less the same.

From Holles Street website:

Semi-private Consultants Fee:
    Obstetrics......
    €1200 (Antenatal Visits/Ultrasound/NormalDelivery/Postnatal Care inHospital)
    €1345(Antenatal Visits/Ultrasound/Caesareansection/Postnatal Care inHospital)€298
    (Covered by Insurance for normal delivery)€445
    (Covered by Insurance for caesarean section)
    Balance......... €900
    (Payable by Patient–may be paid in three instalments)

Yep 100% sure, it's my second go around. It doesn't cost me at all, otherwise I wouldn't bother with semi-private. I have excellent medical cover, it'd wanna be as it's bloody expensive.

Diamond Doll.. I get a scan every time I'm in the hospital to see the consultant. It's literally 60 seconds to check heartbeat and do a quick measurement. It's nothing like the ones done in the Ultrasound Department. You don't pay for the mini one's at the consultant visit.

lazygal wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. I had a dreadful experience with parts of the public system on my second pregnancy. I was a private patient but had to go through part of the public system. When I encountered the on call consultant in charge of the public ward I was on it was so bad I will never go public ever-when my consultant came in the treatment was dramatically different and I know the outcome was better for me and my baby. The public system I encountered was terribly hit and miss, with very little continuity of care and I ended up having to explain myself to every member of staff. Whereas I built up a relationship with the consultant who ended up delivering my two children and had a better time post recovery on the private ward. I've seen both sides of the fence and the difference is enough for me to know that if and when we have another I'll go private and I'll be far more vocal with the staff in general.

My consultant delivered both my children. Friends have gone with her too and she's delivered every baby they've had.

ETA-semi private probably isn't worth the money. The semi-p ward I was on for a night was no different to the public wards. Private care is a different kettle of fish, before and after the birth.

Theres just so much factually incorrect in that statement, the consultants work both public and private care in most hospitals. regardless of which you are in, you have a set consultant.

Of course if you present to a&e in a hospital thats not handling your pregnancy you will have to either A, explain again or B, present your chart which is given to patients to bring home for a reason. but let me ask you, why did you have to go to the public system and not the private for all situations?

theres no consultant in charge of any wards, period. Theres a senior midwife in charge and again, the same midwives regardless of public or private.
    Even in private hospitals its nurses / midwives in charge of the day to day and in regards the consultant being at every birth, were they planned c-sections?

esforum wrote: »
    Theres just so much factually incorrect in that statement, the consultants work both public and private care in most hospitals. regardless of which you are in, you have a set consultant.

Of course if you present to a&e in a hospital thats not handling your pregnancy you will have to either A, explain again or B, present your chart which is given to patients to bring home for a reason. but let me ask you, why did you have to go to the public system and not the private for all situations?

theres no consultant in charge of any wards, period. Theres a senior midwife in charge and again, the same midwives regardless of public or private.
    Even in private hospitals its nurses / midwives in charge of the day to day and in regards the consultant being at every birth, were they planned c-sections?
    I was in Holles street. Presented at the public clinic there when my waters broke with my chart and still had to explain my case several times.
    I'm not au fait with the management structure but I do know the on call consultant dealt with all cases in unit three and he'll never be let near me again for medical reasons. My consultant agreed his plan was wrong. I had one planned section, one emergency section and friends all had "normal" births. Same Consultant present at all. People who scoff at the private system usually haven't been through it. In Holles street there's a big difference, before and after the birth. I know the facts of my experience and they'd mean I'll go private again.

I was in Holles street. Presented at the public clinic there when my waters broke with my chart and still had to explain my case several times.
    I'm not au fait with the management structure but I do know the on call consultant dealt with all cases in unit three and he'll never be let near me again for medical reasons. My consultant agreed his plan was wrong. I had one planned section, one emergency section and friends all had "normal" births. Same Consultant present at all. People who scoff at the private system usually haven't been through it. In Holles street there's a big difference, before and after the birth. I know the facts of my experience and they'd mean I'll go private again.

Again, why did you not present to your private consultant in the private clinic when your waters broke?

the hint is in the name, of course the on call consultant dealt with everyone, they were the ones on call. When their shift ended there was a handover and the next on call dealt with all cases, and so on

for example? Whats different? if you are being treated in the same hospural it will be the same consultants and midwives dealing with you as the public system gets.

I am not scoffing at the private system, our health insurance allows us the option which we took the first time, on the second and third we went public. All Holles Street and we went public because the relative that actually works there delivering the babies told us to.

You want to go private, hey work away, its no skin of my teeth but dont make false accusations at the public system when you have never used it.

esforum wrote: »
    Again, why did you not present to your private consultant in the private clinic when your waters broke?

the hint is in the name, of course the on call consultant dealt with everyone, they were the ones on call. When their shift ended there was a handover and the next on call dealt with all cases, and so on

for example? Whats different? if you are being treated in the same hospural it will be the same consultants and midwives dealing with you as the public system gets.

I am not scoffing at the private system, our health insurance allows us the option which we took the first time, on the second and third we went public. All Holles Street and we went public because the relative that actually works there delivering the babies told us to.

You want to go private, hey work away, its no skin of my teeth but dont make false accusations at the public system when you have never used it.

If you've been through Holles street private system you'll know exactly how the pre labour and unit three system works. I've seen enough of the public system to know I'll do everything I can to avoid it.
    The Holles street private clinics don't operate24/7. They're in a different building. Which you'd know having used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have to reply to this and give another viewpoint. My prenatal care on public in the Combe was second to none given all the different issues that arose.

I was under the care of one consultants team and saw one of them each visit and saw the lead consultant about half of the visits. And there were many.

I had three different bleeds/bumpsinvolving admissions due to rhesus negative. 2 of those 3 resulted in free full ultrasounds as well to check all was ok.

I was admitted for medicating asthma carefully when I had a flare up. The care was outstanding and in many ways better than my previous asthma admission to the Bon Secours.

At my anatomy scan there were growth concerns. I had biweekly scans until 38 weeks to assess growth and I was reassured by docs/technicians.

At 28 weeks my BP started rising. All GP visits were moved to the hospital. I had 3 day a week check ups for high blood pressure from 36 weeks and was informed all the way along as to what was going on and what the plan was. I ended up knowing the whole team of nurses in the perinatal clinic I was in so often. Twice it stayed high enough for admission but was stabilised again enough to be sent home though they did check to see if I was favourable for induction. In the end I was induced at 40 weeks which failed. I was scheduled for a c section with my consultant but in the end I went into labour while waiting.

Labour was incredibly fast and the baby's heart rate was poor so I couldn't be medicated. Even though it was 6am the doc was called, arrived promptly and transferred me to labour ward at <1cm. I ended up giving birth at 710 with three midwives and two doctors in attendance fully reassured that they would take care of us.

Postnatal care I will say is much more hit or miss but was still grand! I could not fault the public system, the care was incredible. And the craziest part was not having to fork out each time. I have excellent health coverage and have been private for any other issues in the past. This was a revelation.

I'm fully private in Holles st. for the second time and I've never been charged for casualty visits. I had a large number of them on my last pregnancy unfortunately. My insurance company was billed when I was admitted from casualty to stay overnight but for outpatient visits there was nothing - my most recent one was only a few months ago.

Apologises, I was basing it on the signs in a&e that state €100 for outpatient scans. I assumed there was a charge each time as I have been scanned on all my visits to a&e

Thanks for all the responses. My wife has healthcare with VHI - I have Aviva, but it will be going under hers.

Little Miss Cutie, it sounds like we are getting something similar to you. Did you not have to pay the blood tests up front, or was it covered at source by your insurance? We first got a bill for €900, then a second for €1,025.

This is a link to the leaflet that was in the EuMom pack, I am not sure if the prices have changed since I got my pack in July but in my case the pathology was covered by VHI

http://www.nmh.ie/_fileupload/finance/SPCfeesNMH%20Jan%2014.pdf

Regarding fees for extra scans, so far I have had a mini scan and 5 growth scans with no additional charges for any of these. The number of growth scans I have had is far from standard but I have had a lot of complications in this pregnancy.

If you've been through Holles street private system you'll know exactly how the pre labour and unit three system works.

I know the place well, probable better than a man should at this stage. I know the facilities and staff are the exact same in both systems.
    I've seen enough of the public system to know I'll do everything I can to avoid it.
    You saw very very little of the system other than an a&e visit, a visit you had to make because you were unable to access your private system
    The Holles street private clinics don't operate24/7.
    And thats all that need be said.

I shall leave you there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I personally wouldn't bother with private, especially in the regional hospitals.
    I was public on my first and needed a consultant at her birth and had a private room after words.
    This time I'm public again and because I'm high risk, I'm visiting the consultant and getting scans at every visit anyway.

Moral of the story, you will get the care you need regardless if you're paying or not. The only major difference is the rooms. You will get a private room if you pay but only if they are free. If there is a lady in there who needs more care than you do(like I did), they won't move her and you'll be in a public ward anyway.

Advertisement