Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of public versus semi-private care

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Me too, one night (24 hours) after having my daughter in the Coombe. It was a normal vaginal delivery and I was semi-private. I was very keen to go and asked for a discharge. I hadn't had a wink of sleep in 72 hours and they kept throwing my husband out at meal times, 'quiet time' and night time..I needed a hand and sleep!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I stayed 3 nights after emcs in the Coombe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was looking at changing my health insurance yesterday and apparently with aviva they give you €300 cash benefit if you stay less than 3 days! I presume that's if you go private or semi private.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I went public in the OLOL in Drogheda, and the service could not be faulted. I actually wanted to go through the MLU but was considered unsuitable as too old. During all my hospital visits there was only one where I waiting more than an hour, and I saw the same group of midwives every appointment. I saw my consultant a good few times, although not every time, and I got a good few extra scans because of my age.

I had mostly a trouble free pregnancy, only in the final month did I have a dodgy swollen leg that needed to be scanned for a blood clot, due in part to that and my age I was induced on my due date. It was very quiet when I was brought in for induction, I was the only person in a 4 bed labour ward, I had the delivery suite with the pool (there's only one in the main labour ward) and in my post natal 6 bed ward there was only ever 3 women. I stayed for 3 nights although I was asked if I wanted to go home after 2 but it was no problem staying. No shortage of midwives, and even when I was giving birth the two midwives who were on the early shift stayed an extra hour to see the birth through, I still remember one of them saying "We're not going anywhere til we see what you're having!" along with the 2 that started the evening shift. Only after I'd given birth and all was ok did they sign off for the day.

I'd have absolutely no problem going back public again afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

I'm on my second semi-private experience in the Coombe. I paid the €900 and have also had to fork out for two scans (12 week and 20 weeks) which were €80 and €160 if I remember correctly. I do feel a bit gouged tbh since public patients don't pay for these scans. On the plus side my medical insurance reimburses me in full for the scans and the €900. Also, the semi private clinic is well run and I'm in and out in under an hour..was out in 20 mins last month having seen midwife, consultant and had a little scan in that time!

I don't think I'd bother with Semi P if my medical insurance didn't cover it in full

So does your health insurance cover all of the costs? Many cover all except the set SP fee or the consultants private fee - what package are you on if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Sherlof3 wrote: »
    So does your health insurance cover all of the costs? Many cover all except the set SP fee or the consultants private fee - what package are you on if you don't mind me asking?

Yes my health insurance covers semi private costs in full. I have St Paul's Garda Medical Aid. It's the rolls royce of insurance cover but it's bloody expensive. Only available to Garda members

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Yes my health insurance covers semi private costs in full. I have St Paul's Garda Medical Aid. It's the rolls royce of insurance cover but it's bloody expensive. Only available to Garda members

It's well worth it though I think. My Dad was a guard and it was great when we were on it.
    I'm with Laya and went semi private in the Coombe last time. I had to pay out €750 myself plus the cost of the scans. I was able to claim for the scans afterward.
    Although I had a straight forward vaginal delivery things did get a little complicated and I had to stay for a week. It was in a 4 bed sem private ward. It was the longest week of my life. It was so noisy and hot I almost lost my reason at one point. I was never so glad to get home.
    The situation would have been the same (or possibly worse if I was in a larger public ward) whether I was public or semi private.

For a few reasons I was determined that if I had another baby I'd go fully private and I'm going back to the Coombe at the moment as a fully private patient. I would sincerely love to get my own room this time around but ultimately its the continuity of care that is what I'm going after and have been very happy with.
    It costs but for me it's well worth the spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

See, what I find annoying about posts like this is the inference - no the blatant assertion - that going private is a "waste" of money. If someone chooses to spend their money in this way, and can afford it, it's no way a waste.

We are going private in the rotunda because I want to see the same consultant each time. I want to be seen immediately at my appointed time and not wait half the morning for my scan. I like that I have my consultant's mobile number with instructions to ring 24/7 (though I've never done that!). I love that he responds to any email within hours. That is certainly not a waste of money as far as I am concerned.

Out of interest why did you choose private the Rotunda? From looking around it is my preference too but curious to know how you made the choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I was public in Holles Street and the experience was ok. The midwives were great but they were just so busy all the time, they really dont have enough of them. Also seeing a different doctor each time was a bit annoying because they dont know you. My labour was horrible and ended in an emcs, no ones fault, but it was so bad I would want to ask for a planned section next time. I would consider going private next time because I would worry that, in the public system, they might not listen to that kind of request.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I went semi-p in Holles St and TBH when we go again I wouldn't bother, it was a waste of money. I opted for semi-private because I had heard the waiting times were shorter for the appointments. I saw the same consultant for all my appointments up until about 22 weeks, when my consultant left, and then I saw someone different each time. The waiting times in the semi private clinic were insane, there were days I'd be there for 2 hours waiting. I had to go in to the A&E a couple of times, which is also the public bit, and the waiting times were the same, sometimes less.

A consultant delivered my baby, but that's because he went into distress and I had to have an assisted delivery. It would have been the same if I'd gone public.

The only plus side was I got a private room for after the birth, which was nice, but that was it. My insurance covered the room, and I think the first €300 of the consultant's fees, but we had to pay the rest, and when I think of what the rest of that money could have bought I don't think I'd spend it again. Unless I was minted, in which case I'd go fully private, but in my experience I found forking out the extra money for semi-private wasn't worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Ive gone public twice in the last two years and I cannot fault the system. In both cases I went midwife led and for routine appointments was seem in their satellite clinics with no waiting time. I was seen on time for scans. I had minor complications at the end of my most recent pregnancy and was referred back to the consultant - I did end up seeing various junior doctors working with her but ultimately ended up with the consultant herself who I found excellent. I was in a six bed ward after delivery. I'd have preferred a room of my own for sure but personally I don't think it is worth the cost. Id completely echo others positive experience of the public maternity system - IMO it is excellent and the type of system I'm glad I pay tax towards

[QUOTE=Toots;98395510]I went semi-p in Holles St and TBH when we go again I wouldn't bother, it was a waste of money. I opted for semi-private because I had heard the waiting times were shorter for the appointments. I saw the same consultant for all my appointments up until about 22 weeks, when my consultant left, and then I saw someone different each time. The waiting times in the semi private clinic were insane, there were days I'd be there for 2 hours waiting. I had to go in to the A&E a couple of times, which is also the public bit, and the waiting times were the same, sometimes less.

A consultant delivered my baby, but that's because he went into distress and I had to have an assisted delivery. It would have been the same if I'd gone public.

The only plus side was I got a private room for after the birth, which was nice, but that was it. My insurance covered the room, and I think the first €300 of the consultant's fees, but we had to pay the rest, and when I think of what the rest of that money could have bought I don't think I'd spend it again. Unless I was minted, in which case I'd go fully private, but in my experience I found forking out the extra money for semi-private wasn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

I paid €750 plus the cost of the scans in the Coombe and other than getting into a semi private room it wasn't worth the money either.
    I never once saw a consultant and as my pregnancy was fine as was my delivery that was fine and I had no issue at all with that.
    It was the post delivery complications where I feel things fell down and a junior doctor just was not good enough and things dragged on for months until I kicked up a big enough fuss.
    The semi private room was always full of people and always noisy.I thought I was going to go mad with the lack of sleep and would have given anything for some peace and quiet for the week I was in.
    For me this time around going private was non negotiable. There have been times that I've had to wait for my appointment but seeing as my consultant is attending one of her other patients in delivery I don't mind that - if I'm that woman I want her with me too if I need her.
    I would give my eye teeth for a room of my own this time around but if I don't get it and its the worst thing that happens then I'll be ok.

I didn't have to pay a penny over the €750 plus scans cost to the Coombe last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fingers crossed you get one Penny - they were renovating the private ward when I was there in April/May so if that's finished there'll be more private rooms available

Fingers crossed you get one Penny - they were renovating the private ward when I was there in April/May so if that's finished there'll be more private rooms available

Thank you :) My sister had her baby there at the end of October and she got one of the newly renovated rooms on the private ward and it was lovely.
    I'm hoping either way that things will be perfectly fine this time and they will be inviting me to leave sooner rather than later and I won't be there for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh yes home is always better!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Hi, does anyone know where I would get information on the cost of private, semi private or public for CUMH

All i can see from my health insurance is that they pay €3,500 towards it, but I can't find any other costings. Would it be something my GP would know?

brokensoul wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where I would get information on the cost of private, semi private or public for CUMH

All i can see from my health insurance is that they pay €3,500 towards it, but I can't find any other costings. Would it be something my GP would know?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. The cost (in the Coombe anyway and I would imagine its the same elsewhere) varies as each consultant charges a different amount for attending them privately. How they want to be paid may also vary - mine requests half at your booking appointment, another €1500 at 25 weeks and the outstanding €500 at your 6 week check up post delivery.
    The remainder (accomodation, lab fees, anaesthetists fees, etc) is paid directly from the insurance company to the hospital.
    If you have a consultant in mind find out what they charge and then place a call with your insurance company and they'll tell you.

The Coombe charged €750 plus the cost of scans for semi private and the remainder (as above re: accomodation, etc) was paid directly to the hospital by my insurance company.
    Public - afaik there are no fees at all to be paid.

All i can see from my health insurance is that they pay €3,500 towards it, but I can't find any other costings. Would it be something my GP would know?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. The cost (in the Coombe anyway and I would imagine its the same elsewhere) varies as each consultant charges a different amount for attending them privately. How they want to be paid may also vary - mine requests half at your booking appointment, another €1500 at 25 weeks and the outstanding €500 at your 6 week check up post delivery.
    The remainder (accomodation, lab fees, anaesthetists fees, etc) is paid directly from the insurance company to the hospital.
    If you have a consultant in mind find out what they charge and then place a call with your insurance company and they'll tell you.

The Coombe charged €750 plus the cost of scans for semi private and the remainder (as above re: accomodation, etc) was paid directly to the hospital by my insurance company.
    Public - afaik there are no fees at all to be paid.

Thanks so much for that. John Waterstone was my consultant for my fertility treatments and he also operated on me for fibroids. I will contact his secretary and see if I can get details of his fees. It is a starting point anyway!

Thanks so much for that. John Waterstone was my consultant for my fertility treatments and he also operated on me for fibroids. I will contact his secretary and see if I can get details of his fees. It is a starting point anyway!

If you have a relationship with a consultant already then they'd be ideal to stay with for your pregnancy.
    Every single pregnancy matters but this is such a special one for you that I think feeling 100% comfortable and confident with your medical care is very important.
    As mentioned before I'm doing the private thing following complications after the delivery of my daughter but the consultant I'd been attending when I miscarried during the summer was so kind and caring while still being capable and professional that there was no question of me picking her for this pregnancy.
    Knowing that she was aware of the miscarriage and that she would take such good care of me and my baby made things so calm and me secure in my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

Once you have private health insurance the only thing you pay in cork is your own consultant. Mine charged €3000, and I was able to claim back€400 from laya after I had baby. Health insurance pays for your hospital stay completely, 3days for vaginal birth and 5 days for c-section. If a private room is available you will get it, otherwise it will be semi private which is 2beds or ward with 4 beds. I've had 4 babies in cumh and have had a private room on all but I've been lucky. If you go public you don't pay for anything.

• Advertisement

Andso wrote: »
    Once you have private health insurance the only thing you pay in cork is your own consultant. Mine charged €3000, and I was able to claim back€400 from laya after I had baby. Health insurance pays for your hospital stay completely, 3days for vaginal birth and 5 days for c-section. If a private room is available you will get it, otherwise it will be semi private which is 2beds or ward with 4 beds. I've had 4 babies in cumh and have had a private room on all but I've been lucky. If you go public you don't pay for anything.

Thanks for this, it cleared up more questions than either my GP or my health insurance website!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

You're welcome, it can be a minefield. Feel free to ask anything ,I'll try help

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I went semi private with Holles where we paid 900 euros; 250 euros aviva paid us back and we will claim the 20% med 1 tax reimbursement for the rest.

I also agree that being in a room with five other moms and their little ones was noisy as hell! And since they leave the room door open at night, you also get the noise pollution from other rooms adjacent to yours. And one baby will always be wailing which - when I was there at least - triggers others to follow lead. So literally an hour of sleep a night for me for three nights; I was glad when I got home.

I did not like the idea of going public because the consultants is not the same throughout your pregnancy. Mine was out for a day on short notice and the sub got me all worried after he told me my baby might be two weeks behind at 35 weeks - which a week later (!!) turned out to be inaccurate but I got one bit of a scare! I felt that was exactly why I didnt want to go public so I think I would recommend semi private. That my consultant was not there once can of course happen so no blame on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

This is slightly off topic but for those that went semi private in holles St did your consultant visit you on the ward after the birth. Or while you were in labour?
    I suppose I thought it odd that I saw the same consultant throughout my pregnancy but once I went into labour and had the baby I didn't see her at all. Have read of other consultants that make it their business to visit the new mum on the ward.

To answer the OP I liked semi private in holles St however I had some crazy long waiting times. Rarely was I in and out within the hour. I found the aftercare quite good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

No, i went semi private and never saw the consultant who monitored my pregnancy during or after labor again. After care post hospital discharge was alright for the baby (in form of public health nurse and the GP checkups but one needs to keep track of each stream of appointments) but for the new mom there is only the six week checkup where they finally asked how I was doing. My friends and family in Germany back home were shocked as there a midwife comes home for weeks on end and helps with baby (advice etc in-home) and breastfeeding as well as mom's recovery - all part of post natal care.

I reckon going private takes care of seeing the consultant during labor and after as well. I feel this system is rather artifical but likely due to lack of funding and staff in maternity hospitals. Germany, of course, is a much bigger country with higher taxes and thus more funds for maternity care. For example the after care and general checkups of a child after birth are done by a pediatrician in Germany and not just a nurse or GP and that until the child is 18. I would love that here; seeing a specialist who has studied pediatrics to take care of my child!

Advertisement