Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemist Itemised Bill

Options
  • 22-12-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭

Is it the practice in all pharmacies, not to issue an itemised bill. I have four meds and asked for a full bill recently. The owner did it with biro on my reciept. I this standard policy not to issue breakdown.
    Also some issue 28 days meds not 30, that's annoying. Cannot compare prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, most places provide itemised receipts by default. All three IT systems on the market do it.

Dispensing days is down to your prescription, object if they aren't following it. Pack sizes vary though and charges for braking packs and bottles can exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Water John wrote: »
    Is it the practice in all pharmacies, not to issue an itemised bill. I have four meds and asked for a full bill recently. The owner did it with biro on my reciept. I this standard policy not to issue breakdown.
    Also some issue 28 days meds not 30, that's annoying. Cannot compare prices.

The bill you get is in a format decided by the HSE. The pharmacist cannot change it.

Ask them for 30 days next time. They won't care. Most likely your doctor just wrote it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks to both of you. To clarify, I don't have a medical card.
    I have got my meds at four different chemists over the past while, south Munster. None, provided an itemised bill.
    My prescription is monthly repeat. February is the only month with 28 days and I'm not being smart.
    Where I usually get them is quite a large business. That is where I asked the breakdown of prices. I could see staff glancing and chatting about it. Then the owner suddenly appeared and wrote in on my receipt with a biro.

I presume an itemised bill should be standard to all purchases of any description. I wonder is the software turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Even if the POS till doesn't give an itemised receipt, the dispensing note should list everything in detail (the 3 part piece of paper you get with the prescriptions).

Yes, I know that sheet, but no prices on it.
    Certainly the case in my usual pharmacy. Only drug code and quantity, plus final total, no breakdown.

• Advertisement

Certainly the case in my usual pharmacy. Only drug code and quantity, plus final total, no breakdown.

I would suspect they actually have a printer alignment issue (its pre-printed paper and uses an antique dot matrix to print) there, as deliberately removing the prices from the receipt would be extremely difficult to do. Should be shown, in cent, in the last column for each item.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

L1011 wrote: »
    I would suspect they actually have a printer alignment issue (its pre-printed paper and uses an antique dot matrix to print) there, as deliberately removing the prices from the receipt would be extremely difficult to do. Should be shown, in cent, in the last column for each item.

Good point, I have noticed that it's often off kilter.

dudara wrote: »
    Good point, I have noticed that it's often off kilter.

Beating the last life out of a 600 quid printer is often the reason for this. That and laziness!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not shown on mine either, and I haven't seen prices for a long time, across multiple pharmacies. I'll ask for the breakdown next time, its a pity I only filled my prescription yesterday. I don't see how anyone can speak for "most" pharmacies, there are thousands of them.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not shown on mine either, and I haven't seen prices for a long time, across multiple pharmacies. I'll ask for the breakdown next time, its a pity I only filled my prescription yesterday. I don't see how anyone can speak for "most" pharmacies, there are thousands of them.

There's three computer systems, every pharmacy uses one of the three. The printouts are standard formats, and are exceptionally difficult to change as an end-user.

• Advertisement

I have checked the form for alignment and its spot on. The codes are in their boxes exactly.
    The total which is over €80 is in its correct box. The spaces over it for each individual 4 items are blank.

Not a printer issue.

Why would a pharmacy go to the trouble of blanking those sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Are you getting the items dispensed under the drug payment scheme? If you are the software doesn't print an itemised cost breakdown on your receipt, just the items and total paid

Its the drug repayment scheme, which I can claim back if I go over the limit in the month.
    I am purchasing the goods and should automatically get an itemised receipt.

Nobody else is paying my bill.

Advertisement