Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Dublin

Options
  • 22-12-2015 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey guys. I am sure my post includes questions that has been asked before on various forums but i thought it'd be easier to get help this way. sorry for that.
    I've been offered a permanent position in a large american company in Dublin and i am considering to relocate at the end of February. When i was there just a couple weeks ago , the weather was so depressing that i said to myself that there is no way i could relocate to Dublin and that i didnt have to worry about the interview loop too much . Turns out not worrying much helped me get the job The opportunity is so great that i simply cannot reject it. I want to live alone in a modern new 1 bedroom apartment <=1500€ in Dublin 4. Is that possible ? The apartment needs to have broadband available (cable or fibre). Any tips regarding apartment hunting in general ? Does the furnished apartments include TV as well ? or does it depends ?
    - Is online food order available ?
    - How long do you think it'd take to sort out the utilities after renting the place ?
    - Do you think with 110k before tax i'd be able to save up too ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

daft.ie or myhome.ie and search dublin 4 as the area with your requirements - should find something easy enough.

(if you're working for google/facebook or around there, look at spencer dock / IFSC too)

Most furnished apartments don't include TV from what I've seen, but some do. It's xmas sales time tho - Harvey Norman's to pick up a bargain.

Tesco.ie does a great food delivery service online.

Utilities usually happens within a week.

Unless you've a proclivity for coke and hookers, you should be able to save a pretty decent amount :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

That's a good salary and you should be able to rent and save. The weather you experienced is pretty much the weather we have all year round so you need to take that into consideration. It's December now and we almost had the same amount of rain and temperatures for most of July!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's a good salary and you should be able to rent and save. The weather you experienced is pretty much the weather we have all year round so you need to take that into consideration. It's December now and we almost had the same amount of rain and temperatures for most of July!

It's really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's really not.
    Absolutely , it was exceptionally wet that time You were here , Dublin has a perfect temperate climate , if you need some.Extra heat or extra cold , it's all only a 2 hour plane ride away .

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

crashadder wrote: »

I want to live alone in a modern new 1 bedroom apartment <=1500€ in Dublin 4. Is that possible ? As said try daft.ie or myhome.ie

This one looks nice.. modern and within budget. parking space included, you could possibly sublet if you don't have a car, unclear on internet speed though.

The apartment needs to have broadband available (cable or fibre).

Any tips regarding apartment hunting in general ?

Does the furnished apartments include TV as well ? or does it depends ? Generally not unless short stay lets, as the landlord would be liable for the TV license.
    - Is online food order available ? as stated above tesco.ie or supervalu for grocery shopping? Takeaways try
    - How long do you think it'd take to sort out the utilities after renting the place ? 2 wks ? letting agent will probably be able to help you out?
    - Do you think with 110k before tax i'd be able to save up too ? Yes

thanks in advance

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's really not.

I remember days in July with highs of 13c. You don't move here for the climate, it's really bad in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's not "really bad", just like it's never "really good"

It's just pretty mild all the time. As has been said, no one moves to Ireland for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Expect a nice chunk of that 110k gone on tax when budgeting aswell OP, could be a lot more than you xpect depending where you're coming from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

Thargor wrote: »
    Expect a nice chunk of that 110k gone on tax when budgeting aswell OP, could be a lot more than you xpect depending where you're coming from...

so i've heard. I'm going to be briefed by a tax consultant soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

OP can you give us a bit more background about where you'll be working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Might be worth a read of this guide to relocating to Ireland ...
    (courtesy of Stelfox Recruitment which I have no connection with)

http://stelfox.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Relocating-to-Ireland-Guide1.pdf

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

OP can you give us a bit more background about where you'll be working?
    Facebook

Facebook

I go to a gym across the road from Facebook, good part of town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Any tips regarding apartment hunting in general ? Daft.ie or Myhome.ie are the main sites. Be prepared to decide quickly as its a letters market at the moment. Ask your employer for a reference document/proof of employment as this will likely be requested.

Does the furnished apartments include TV as well ? or does it depends ? - sometimes, but a LL is not obliged to provide a tv.
    - Is online food order available ? Yes, of course, all major supermarkets offer this service.
    - How long do you think it'd take to sort out the utilities after renting the place ? Hardly anytime at all, do a bit of online research and chose your providers. Set up over the phone or online.
    - Do you think with 110k before tax i'd be able to save up too ? Yeah most likely unless you have a very extravagant lifestyle.

My main bit of advice is that you'll need to get your PPS number and local bank account set up as a priority. If your employer regularly brings ppl in from abroad they're likely used to helping people with this so ask them. After this you should be set.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Facebook

They should have a relocation team who will help you sort out most of your queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The weather is substituted by the people and the working atmosphere.

Ireland is not depressing if you keep good friends.

Make sure you mingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

I remember days in July with highs of 13c. You don't move here for the climate, it's really bad in my opinion.

A climate can't be bad. You mightn't like it but that's not the climate's fault!

I love the weather in Dublin. It is the type of climate I love to live in. I hate warm climates and I hate extreme cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Any tips regarding apartment hunting in general ?

Check and doube check the apartment exists and is legit. Do NOT pay a deposit by western union or to a Non irish bank account. Theres a lot of people arrive to find that fantastic apartment / house they put a deposit on doesn't exist and they can't get the money back from western union or the UK / Nigerian bank account the landlord insisted on using. if you don't know anyone that can check places, ask here, someone will know the street or area.
    Does the furnished apartments include TV as well ? or does it depends ?
    - Is online food order available ?
    - How long do you think it'd take to sort out the utilities after renting the place ?
    - Do you think with 110k before tax i'd be able to save up too ?

Tv, unlikely but possible.
    Broadband, not usually an issue, will be in the ad.
    Online food? Yes, most supermarkets offer this service.
    Utilities can be sorted with the landlord or estate agent and can be immediate if done correctly.
    Yes, you can save certainly but that really depends on lifesyle. For starters your looking to rent in possible the most expensive part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

With a salary like that, you could rent a nice place, save and live the high life! You haven't anything to worry about.

My main bit of advice is that you'll need to get your PPS number and local bank account set up as a priority. If your employer regularly brings ppl in from abroad they're likely used to helping people with this so ask them. After this you should be set.[/QUOTE]

thanks a lot i appreciate the info. yeah my employer will help me with those.

• Advertisement

thanks alot everyone. you guys are great . Turns out everything i hear about Dubliners are real. I cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

thanks alot everyone. you guys are great . Turns out everything i hear about Dubliners are real. I cant wait.

Good to hear. Remember that Facebook have a fantastic canteen with a wide selection of great food. My neighbour is quite high up there and says it's the best place he's ever worked.

Dublin is a great city....don't let the scare mongers put you off. Great restaurant and bar scene. Public transport is a bit rubbish but the city is easy to navigate on foot or bike.

Check out the website www.lovindublin.com

It will give you a run down on good places to eat etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The only supermarkets that delivery groceries in ireland are tesco and supervalu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Book a "b&b" to provide you with bed and breakfast for your first week. Then you can actually inspect the apartments you are interested in. They always look different to the photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

January wrote: »
    The only supermarkets that delivery groceries in ireland are tesco and supervalu.

Dunnes to start in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Hi - Just for fun, I took a quick look round and found something which might interest you, as it's within walking distance of Facebook's office. From the photos, anyway, it looks quite nice; also, if you Google Map it, you'll see that there are several amenities nearby. Here's the link; hope it helps:

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Grand-Canal-Wharf-Ringsend-Dublin-4-South-Dublin-City/1612594/

Grand Canal Wharf, Ringsend, Dublin 4
    €1,500 monthly
    1 bedroom (1 double), 1 bathroom, furnished apartment to rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

esforum wrote: »
    Check and doube check the apartment exists and is legit. Do NOT pay a deposit by western union or to a Non irish bank account. Theres a lot of people arrive to find that fantastic apartment / house they put a deposit on doesn't exist and they can't get the money back from western union or the UK / Nigerian bank account the landlord insisted on using. if you don't know anyone that can check places, ask here, someone will know the street or area.
    D4 and around Facebook in general would be the most expensive areas for rental too. A little further or might be cheaper or easier, though the Dublin rental market is a little crazy busy at the moment and likely to stay that way. Most landlords will expect you to sign a 12 month lease and will expect an additional months rent as deposit and work and previous landlord reference, as a recent arrival you may be asked for a larger deposit - 2 or 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't limit yourself to just D4 for an apartment, there's areas around the IFSC for example that'll be closer to the Facebook office than some parts of D4.

For food order online do you mean groceries or take-out? There's more than one option for both anyway. In terms of broadband there are multiple providers now offering fibre broadband (Eircom, Sky, Virgin Media) and you will probably be able to get any of them you wish, look for the best deal.

To get your utilities set up I think you'll need access to the number on your electricity metre so just make sure you get this from the landlord/agent when you agree to move in. You get discounts for paying by direct debit, I'm not sure what the story is with non-Irish bank accounts in that regard. To switch the utilities over to your name is very quick.

As for the weather, it's been exceptionally wet recently. There's been a lot of flooding in the south of the country. This is not normal, the summer will be warmer, calmer, drier.

Also have to say there is a really good vibe about the city these days I find. There's loads of options in terms of bars/restaurants/events, I'm sure Facebook has a really good social aspect too.

May I ask where you're moving from?

Don't limit yourself to just D4 for an apartment, there's areas around the IFSC for example that'll be closer to the Facebook office than some parts of D4.

For food order online do you mean groceries or take-out? There's more than one option for both anyway. In terms of broadband there are multiple providers now offering fibre broadband (Eircom, Sky, Virgin Media) and you will probably be able to get any of them you wish, look for the best deal.

To get your utilities set up I think you'll need access to the number on your electricity metre so just make sure you get this from the landlord/agent when you agree to move in. You get discounts for paying by direct debit, I'm not sure what the story is with non-Irish bank accounts in that regard. To switch the utilities over to your name is very quick.

As for the weather, it's been exceptionally wet recently. There's been a lot of flooding in the south of the country. This is not normal, the summer will be warmer, calmer, drier.

Also have to say there is a really good vibe about the city these days I find. There's loads of options in terms of bars/restaurants/events, I'm sure Facebook has a really good social aspect too.

May I ask where you're moving from?
    Istanbul

I liked your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Istanbul

I liked your post.

Ok so outside the EU... I don't know this but I'd imagine you'll have to have at least an EU bank account to pay utility bills.

Look at the info on this page for your PPS number, maybe call them to see if you can apply before you arrive:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-How-to-Apply.aspx

Advertisement