Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat off colour- any natural tummy remedy for cats?

• 22-12-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

A bit of advice required. Tux the just over 1 year old rescue cat has an upset tummy. She had a mucky bum :cool: on sunday. Slept all day on Monday. Gave her some probiotic yoghourt (which she loves) a couple of times, which she ate. Last night gave her more yoghourt and some chicken breast at bed time. Ate it overnight. She went out this a.m. but back very quickly & is sleeping again. Seems very alert, drinking water, ate some tuna this a.m for breakfast. Is there anything herbal/natural that one can give to a cat with that is obviously off colour but not enough to bring to the vet. Or just let her get over it herself? Shes a very small cat, and seem so fragile in comparison to the lumps of dogs, hate to see her off colour. Something like a ginger biscuit that humans would use for a dodgy tummy???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Please stop giving your cat yogurt. Most cats are lactose intolerant. Your cat needs to see a vet so please take it before they close for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

aonb wrote: »
    A bit of advice required. Tux the just over 1 year old rescue cat has an upset tummy. She had a mucky bum :cool: on sunday. Slept all day on Monday. Gave her some probiotic yoghourt (which she loves) a couple of times, which she ate. Last night gave her more yoghourt and some chicken breast at bed time. Ate it overnight. She went out this a.m. but back very quickly & is sleeping again. Seems very alert, drinking water, ate some tuna this a.m for breakfast. Is there anything herbal/natural that one can give to a cat with that is obviously off colour but not enough to bring to the vet. Or just let her get over it herself? Shes a very small cat, and seem so fragile in comparison to the lumps of dogs, hate to see her off colour. Something like a ginger biscuit that humans would use for a dodgy tummy???

I love chips, but they're not good for me.

Could be indicate worms, could be anything. Any doubts, to the vet you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

The fermentation of milk to create yogurt converts the lactose to lactic acid, so natural yogurt is fairly low in lactose, but of course care should be taken when feeding natural yogurt to cats in case they do have a reaction to any lactose remaining. The probiotic part is still unclear in its therapeutic effects as when the probiotic bacteria is added to the yogurt (before/after pasteurisation) or even if the bacteria can survive the acidity of the digestive tract to reach the gut is very much a matter of debate, let alone whether the types of probiotic bacteria used in yogurts for humans have any benefit for a dog or cat digestive system.

Good luck with Tux, hope she feels better soon, personally (and of course this is just my opinion, which let's be honest is from a stranger on the internet :pac:) I think feeding her small amounts of probiotic natural yogurt should be fine if you know it doesn't make her ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Poor little mite. At least she's drinking?

Cats are notoriously intolerant of many herbs, natural remedies, essential oils, human- or dog-safe drugs, vitamins (in human doses) etc. You can find some bad advice on the internet where people recommend giving cats things that will actually kill them (often people selling these things- stuff like 'better quality oils/vitamins won't harm cats') so be careful about the advice you get.

Their systems do not work the same way humans do- it's like how dogs cannot tolerate chocolate, except cats cannot tolerate a wide range of things. May be something to do with the fact that they're obligate carnivores and thus never had any need to develop a tolerance to plant poisons.

I would get the vet if she doesn't improve (fingers crossed I'm hoping she's better already). Medicating cats is just a risky business. They're just that bit too different from us. Keep her warm and comfortable and ring them now, before they're closed for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Tux is back to normal, and eating well :)
    Ive always fed her yoghurt - she loves it, and the vet ok'd it when I asked him - the lactose content is negligble - and it seems to have zero effect on her digestion (being a feral kitten when found, she was indoors for many months until she was 'tame' and spayed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

aonb wrote: »
    Tux is back to normal, and eating well :)
    Ive always fed her yoghurt - she loves it, and the vet ok'd it when I asked him - the lactose content is negligble - and it seems to have zero effect on her digestion (being a feral kitten when found, she was indoors for many months until she was 'tame' and spayed)

Glad she's doing well, have a lovely Christmas together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Latatian wrote: »
    Poor little mite. At least she's drinking?

Cats are notoriously intolerant of many herbs, natural remedies, essential oils, human- or dog-safe drugs, vitamins (in human doses) etc. You can find some bad advice on the internet where people recommend giving cats things that will actually kill them (often people selling .

This. I have a vet med book dedicated to cat medication alone because dear lord there is an exception in dosages for EVERYTHING in cats. Almost everything you give required the dose to be altered. Also the amount of medications that can kill a cat is unreal.

Cat medicine is a science in itself.

Advertisement