Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorcycle insurance for a unregistered motorcycle (motocross)

• 22-12-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm trying to get a policy to cover 2 motocross bikes, 1 enduro and 1 motocross. Both are unregistered but are stored in a secure garage, which is alarmed and has a steel door. Any ideas of who would do this? I contacted the usual ones like carole nash, principle but no one will touch a motocross bike. Lots of companies in the UK do it but nothing here. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to get them specified on a household policy, it's similar to getting expensive pieces of jewellery covered. Your mistake is calling it 'motorcycle insurance' which to most ears represents third party cover for using the bikes on the road which I believe is not what you're looking for.

Talk to the company you have your house insured with but if the garage is a lockup that's not part of your house then you may have difficulty getting cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Household insurers generally exclude ALL motorised vehicles and this would come under that definition (either in the general content section or all risks as suggested above. Typical definitions of Contents would be;

.......................Excluding;
    Motorised vehicles including motorcycles, other than -
    a) Motorised domestic gardening equipment, golf carts, models & toys
    b) Vehicles designed to assist disabled persons which are not registered for road use

You may think that a motorcross vehicle is not a motorcycle but insurers do. The fact that they specifically state the type of vehicle they deem acceptable for cover reinforces this. Many use the phrase 'self propelled vehicles'

Advertisement