Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2016

Options
  • 22-12-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys
    There's a group of us looking to do a J1 this summer (2016) hopefully in Myrtle Beach.
    We have been looking into doing it with either USIT or Sayit but we haven't decided yet.. partly because we don't know which company is better.
    Has anyone any recommendations?
    I'm worried that if we book and pay one of these companies and are unable to get a job we will lose our money because we can't go due to the new regulations.
    Has anyone who has booked with these companies actually got a response from jobs?
    I have applied for loads of Jobs but haven't got one response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

*TumbleWeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5 niamhsheen1

Please dont book with USIT, we made the mistake with booking with them and they are useless! we found out after booking with them how much more expensive they are than other companies, your paying a couple of hundred more for nothing! Any time we have emailed them they have been no help. They booked our connecting flights too close too and now we have to change our flight. As for getting a job before you go over..thats a joke. I have emailed and applied for about 50 jobs and only one irish bar responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shed1234

Please dont book with USIT, we made the mistake with booking with them and they are useless! we found out after booking with them how much more expensive they are than other companies, your paying a couple of hundred more for nothing! Any time we have emailed them they have been no help. They booked our connecting flights too close too and now we have to change our flight. As for getting a job before you go over..thats a joke. I have emailed and applied for about 50 jobs and only one irish bar responded.

Hi
    Unfortunately we booked with them 😟😟 I can't believe how expensive it actually is!! I knew it would be expensive but basically 800 for them to do paper work is ridiculous! I paid the 249 as soon as I could just to get on their jobs site but it's ****! I thought they were going to give us direct email addresses or something to employers but it's just a link to their website!?? Like Google could give you that!! And I've also applied for like 50 jobs and havenot got a response! I'm not paying the balance or paying for flights until I get a job but I feel like just asking them for a refund right now!
    I'd say it's going to be so hard to get a job!
    Where are you planning on going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

Their job website is a complete waste of time. I am an older graduate and shortly finishing up visa in Jacksonville. Both the summer J1 and graduate proved difficult to get anything in advance. Face to face is the best I feel for bar work. However, I am down south and major north eastern cities may be more of a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 niamhsheen1

I know they rush you to book then when you do you figure out all the hidden costs :/ Nope they are useless, Try workpop I found a good few job advertisements on that but then again they all contacted me and said apply in person, some of them didn't even know about the new rule, getting a job before you go. Usit put up applications to apply for jobs at their hiring fair yesterday, check your account :) were going to San Diego, What about you?
    They have added another rule now that you have to have proof of accommodation along the west coast before you go too, which is a bummer because no more overcrowding which means veyr expensive accommodation :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 UnFrenchie

I'm heading to Myrtle Beach with friends too.
    I'm booking with SayIt, but I'm kind of confused because I have access to job "fairs" on the site, but no database? Anyway I read somewhere that people who signed up early have been trying to get jobs and employers are just telling them it's too early to apply.
    I think they've completely screwed it up by making having a job obligatory because it also means you can't change jobs... and if you don't get a job do you even get a refund??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxxribenagirlxx

Any one heading to SF / Bay Area for their j1?

Advertisement