Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing all data & os?

Options
  • 22-12-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need to completely remove the os, windows7, from my pc. No data to keep, so no need to back up anything.
    I need to install xp due to music software I have which only runs in xp.
    Having trouble finding a solution.
    Any assistance appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just put your Windows XP disc in, restart the PC and as it's beginning to boot up press F12 and then choose boot from CD.

http://www.wikihow.com/Boot-a-Computer-from-a-CD

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Silent Shrill

Just put your Windows XP disc in, restart the PC and as it's beginning to boot up press F12 and then choose boot from CD.

http://www.wikihow.com/Boot-a-Computer-from-a-CD

You cannot install an older version of Windows over a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

You cannot install an older version of Windows over a newer one.

As long as XP compatible drivers are available and the OP has a license for XP of course they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Silent Shrill

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    As long as XP compatible drivers are available and the OP has a license for XP of course they can.

Licensed version.
    And you cannot. The option to install xp is blanked out.
    You can upgrade an os to a newer version, but not vise-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Licensed version.

The OP said the original OS and data is not required therefore pop in the cd, boot fom the cd, format the HDD and install XP. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I need to install xp due to music software I have which only runs in xp.

What's the software you're running, does it work in "compatibility mode"?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/make-older-programs-run#1TC=windows-7

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Licensed version.

Of course you can install an older OS.

Are you booting from the DVD or are you just popping it into your running Windows and clicking Setup? If you're doing the latter it won't install XP.

If you boot from the DVD you'll get to a text screen saying that there are partitions on the disk. Highlight each partition in turn and delete it. When you have no partitions left hit C to create a new partition and off you go.

Before doing that though I'd try VirtualBox. Install that then install XP into a virtual machine. Dunno if your music software will work in a VM though.

Advertisement